CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Competitions
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Competitions Competitions, contests & challenges

Old 10-10-2014, 06:14 PM   #381
Robert D Taylor Jr

Profile:
Re: Have we all seen this yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Montgomery View Post
Again, none of the business stuff has any impact on the "grassroots work" that you're talking about. If you want to be a functional fitness purist, you can coach people in your garage all day long and there's nothing that Nike, Reebok, NPGL, or CFHQ can do to get in your way.

If anything, the business competition has helped people who want to do stuff on a small scale--for evidence on that, ask some of the OGs how hard it was to find bumper plates or lifting shoes 10+ years ago. It's absurdly easy and cheap to outfit a garage gym with quality equipment these days, and there are dozens of people providing quality programming and instructional videos online for free--many of whom have gotten their audiences and exposure as a result of CF growing as a business.

The people that are "stabbing each other in the back for a pay day" are providing products and/or services that people are willing to pay money for. There's nothing wrong with responding to the market's demands and seeking to gain a bigger share of that market at the expense of your business competitors.
I could outfit a decent box out of what's available at the exchange these days. Anything I couldn't get I could get from Dicks. I bought lifting shoes at the exchange a couple months ago. Most local base gyms have bumper plates kettlebells rowers tires for flipping TRX mounts and rings.

It's hugely better than when I started in January 2006
Old 10-11-2014, 09:51 AM   #382
Nic Nakis

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Montgomery View Post
Again, none of the business stuff has any impact on the "grassroots work" that you're talking about. If you want to be a functional fitness purist, you can coach people in your garage all day long and there's nothing that Nike, Reebok, NPGL, or CFHQ can do to get in your way.

If anything, the business competition has helped people who want to do stuff on a small scale--for evidence on that, ask some of the OGs how hard it was to find bumper plates or lifting shoes 10+ years ago. It's absurdly easy and cheap to outfit a garage gym with quality equipment these days, and there are dozens of people providing quality programming and instructional videos online for free--many of whom have gotten their audiences and exposure as a result of CF growing as a business.

The people that are "stabbing each other in the back for a pay day" are providing products and/or services that people are willing to pay money for. There's nothing wrong with responding to the market's demands and seeking to gain a bigger share of that market at the expense of your business competitors.
Eric, I'm not disagreeing with you. The things you're saying are totally valid from your point of view.

It's just that I am one of those "OGs". I started doing CrossFit in 2003 and I remember Oly lifting with iron plates and bare feet. There are a lot of great changes that have happened in the growth of this movement, but there are also some qualities that have been lost.
Old 10-20-2014, 12:03 PM   #383
Steven Ngo

Profile:

Disney's getting (got) in on this

(links sfw)

http://www.disneyeveryday.com/a-look...-disney-world/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zdgyYI6OM7k
Old 10-24-2014, 07:43 AM   #384
Martin Rivera

Profile:

Not sure if anyone has seen it yet... It should be very interesting to see Lucas on the Grid.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J9tDCrwyA2Y (WFS)
<>< Philippians 4:13 thecubefitness.com (WFS) dsgear.com (WFS) virusintl.com (WFS)
Old 01-26-2015, 01:15 AM   #385
Desmond Pegrum

Profile:

What's the update with GRID ?

Is it folding or not ?

And they never put up the grand final on their youtube channel did they ?
Old 01-26-2015, 02:37 PM   #386
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

They are making a whole bunch of new teams in preparation for next season.

I know Klokov just signed with Baltimore.
Old 01-30-2015, 07:04 AM   #387
Nicholas Wheeler

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmond Pegrum View Post
What's the update with GRID ?

Is it folding or not ?

And they never put up the grand final on their youtube channel did they ?
Posted on Jan 10th https://www.npgl.com/content/posts/w...pionships-here (WFS)