CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Competitions
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Competitions Competitions, contests & challenges

Old 03-14-2014, 08:36 PM   #11
Ryan Gonzalez

Profile:
Re: Amateur division

If something like this happened it wouldn't be about getting on TV or making money or meeting Dave Castro. It would be about CrossFit HQ recognizing that the common crossfitters who dont have all day to spend at the gym can do great things too. I would imagine they wouldn't even consider putting it on TV. But I also think they could sell out a venue because crossfitters are loyal and support there own no matter what level the athlete.
Old 03-14-2014, 09:43 PM   #12
Clint Harris

Profile:

Ryan, the "Dave Castro" angle I was referring too was that since they weren't at the prize giving, it shows to me that they see zero value to the masters division. None whatsoever. I can't blame them as the "big show" is happening. This realy why it all needs to be separate if an amatuer division were to be created. Have the big-show games. Then, as a seperate entity, have these other scenarios (masters, amateurs). So that each gets there due focus.
Old 03-15-2014, 05:20 AM   #13
Ryan Gonzalez

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clint Harris View Post
Ryan, the "Dave Castro" angle I was referring too was that since they weren't at the prize giving, it shows to me that they see zero value to the masters division. None whatsoever. I can't blame them as the "big show" is happening. This realy why it all needs to be separate if an amatuer division were to be created. Have the big-show games. Then, as a seperate entity, have these other scenarios (masters, amateurs). So that each gets there due focus.
I agree with that. Having it at a separate time of the year would be important.
Old 03-15-2014, 05:50 AM   #14
Steven Wingo

Profile:

If they didn't care about the Masters they wouldn't even have those age divisions, but they do. The Open is still really in its infancy. It takes time to build additional structure. You adapt as it grows and cannot anticipate all the changes in growth and participation ahead of time, so it takes time. The age divisions are in fact growing in structure this year, with the mini-regionals added.

My point, made in an earlier post, is that the perceived advantages of coaches and box owners is not as significant as some would imagine. They do not have the advantages of pro athletes with a paid salary for working out, people preparing many of their meals, a medical staff, trainers and massage therapists, and so on. Most have other jobs--and running a business (even if it is a CrossFit box) and coaching others is physically and mentally draining.
Sure there are some advantages to working at a box full time--I would love to have 2 hours free mid-morning at my place of work to get in my own workout--but the advantages are far from what would make me think there needs to be a separate "pro" division for your every day coaches and box owners.
Old 03-15-2014, 07:26 AM   #15
Andrew Scheid

Profile:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't there a competition for those not qualifying for the games, but ranking in the top 100 of their region? The name escapes me right now.
Old 03-15-2014, 07:53 AM   #16
Steven Wingo

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Scheid View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't there a competition for those not qualifying for the games, but ranking in the top 100 of their region? The name escapes me right now.
There is a new mini-regional for the Top 200 worldwide in each age division. They will have what I call a "mini-regionals" long weekend. So instead of the Open scores determining those who go to the Games, the top 200 duke it out through what will probably be even tougher workouts with their final Open ranking playing a role as well. (I am not aware of a separate competition for those who just miss out on the Games.

Here is the description from the CrossFit Games site, on the What's New for 2014 page:

Link (of course work and family safe):

http://games.crossfit.com/article/whats-new-2014
-----

New Masters Qualifier

"In the Open, Masters will compete against all other international athletes for the opportunity to advance to the next level of competition. Following the Open, the top 200 Masters athletes in each age division will be invited to perform four additional workouts.

The additional workouts will be released on Thursday, April 17 at 5 p.m. PT. Masters will have until Monday, April 21 at 5 p.m. PT, to submit their scores or video submissions from these workouts.

Masters athletes submitting scores must use a registered judge for each workout and have their performance validated by an affiliate. In addition, all four workouts need to be videotaped as Masters may be asked to submit one to four of these videos for review. Alternatively, Masters may elect to submit videos of the four workouts online following the same video submission guidelines from the Open.

Masters athletes will have five scores tabulated in order to determine their ranking in this competition: four scores from the additional workouts and one score based on their finish in the Open. The top 20 Masters athletes in each division will then be invited to compete in the 2014 Reebok CrossFit Games."
Old 03-15-2014, 08:43 AM   #17
Christopher Morris

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Scheid View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Wingo View Post
There is a new mini-regional for the Top 200 worldwide in each age division. They will have what I call a "mini-regionals" long weekend. So instead of the Open scores determining those who go to the Games, the top 200 duke it out through what will probably be even tougher workouts with their final Open ranking playing a role as well. (I am not aware of a separate competition for those who just miss out on the Games.
This "mini-regional" is only for Masters divisions. It doesn't apply to ages 18-39, as that age range already has the normal Regionals.

In the past the Masters have competed in the Open, and their Open ranking qualified them directly for the Games. This "mini-regional" is adding a level of competition between the Open and the Games for the Masters athletes.