CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Competitions
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Competitions Competitions, contests & challenges

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 11-19-2013, 12:58 PM   #1
Adam Manery
Member Adam Manery is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Lethbridge  AB Canada
Posts: 70
Powersurge - Deadlift World Record

I was competing at a powerlifting competition in Edmonton over the weekend and one of the guys in my weight class set an unofficial world record for the 74kg class in the deadlift. (unofficial because it was not in front of international judges/not at an international meet I believe). Impressive nonetheless! Guy weighs about 162 lbs and is pulling around 641 lbs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZOB4keSevw WFS
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 03:59 PM   #2
Christopher G. Woods
Member Christopher G. Woods is offline
 
Christopher G. Woods's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Ellicott City  MD
Posts: 2,119
Re: Powersurge - Deadlift World Record

It's definitely an impressive lift, but I wouldn't get too excited about the world record. The new weight classes have only been around for few years, and the IPF has only been recording "Classic" (Raw) records since the beginning of 2012. To put it into perspective, the USAPL Raw record for the 75kg class (they're still in the process of switching to the new weight classes) is 300kg. Again, still a very impressive lift.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 05:01 PM   #3
Adam Manery
Member Adam Manery is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Lethbridge  AB Canada
Posts: 70
Re: Powersurge - Deadlift World Record

Yup I'm aware of all of that! Just thought that people may be interested to see a good pull! Although by the look of that lift I wouldn't be surprised if he could hit 300.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 04:25 PM   #4
Drew Watson
Member Drew Watson is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Philadelphia  PA
Posts: 45
Re: Powersurge - Deadlift World Record

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher G. Woods View Post
It's definitely an impressive lift, but I wouldn't get too excited about the world record. The new weight classes have only been around for few years, and the IPF has only been recording "Classic" (Raw) records since the beginning of 2012. To put it into perspective, the USAPL Raw record for the 75kg class (they're still in the process of switching to the new weight classes) is 300kg. Again, still a very impressive lift.

perryman is an absolute beast, the guy holding the records in the class under him is pretty good too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6FTF7FIZ0M his 716lb pull at 165.
Theres a reason he doesnt compete in the usapl often, and when he does his numbers are lower than other feds, if you know what im saying.


Also its hard not to get excited about the world records, regardless of when they were established, they have world standards in place so no joe schmo can go up and take them, and still they are world records.


edit: what were kojos other lifts? I'm curious, his dead is beyond impressive.
__________________
Ex-Powerlifter 476/303/551 @ 148lbs.
USAPL Raw Squat/Dead/Total American Records

Last edited by Drew Watson : 11-23-2013 at 04:27 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 11:24 AM   #5
Adam Manery
Member Adam Manery is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Lethbridge  AB Canada
Posts: 70
Re: Powersurge - Deadlift World Record

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew Watson View Post
perryman is an absolute beast, the guy holding the records in the class under him is pretty good too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6FTF7FIZ0M his 716lb pull at 165.
Theres a reason he doesnt compete in the usapl often, and when he does his numbers are lower than other feds, if you know what im saying.


Also its hard not to get excited about the world records, regardless of when they were established, they have world standards in place so no joe schmo can go up and take them, and still they are world records.


edit: what were kojos other lifts? I'm curious, his dead is beyond impressive.
Wow that's quite the pull regardless. Do you know how tall he is by any chance?

But yeah no matter how you look at it, Kojo's pull was pretty impressive. He squatted 240 and benched 140. So all around good lifts but his dead lift certainly took the cake. Joe Stockinger was also pretty inspirational at the meet. 83 years old and pulled 185kg at 72kg. I will post a video of that but I'm on my phone.

P.S pretty huge lifts yourself. I have ten lbs on you and I would love to get even in the same ballpark!
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 01:00 PM   #6
Adam Manery
Member Adam Manery is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Lethbridge  AB Canada
Posts: 70
Re: Powersurge - Deadlift World Record

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Manery View Post
Wow that's quite the pull regardless. Do you know how tall he is by any chance?

But yeah no matter how you look at it, Kojo's pull was pretty impressive. He squatted 240 and benched 140. So all around good lifts but his dead lift certainly took the cake. Joe Stockinger was also pretty inspirational at the meet. 83 years old and pulled 185kg at 72kg. I will post a video of that but I'm on my phone.

P.S pretty huge lifts yourself. I have ten lbs on you and I would love to get even in the same ballpark!
Couldn't find the video from that meet but here is a video of him from a few years ago at 79 years old. I hope that I can do any physical activity at that age let alone deadlift 450 lbs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JlN95I8NQ0E WFS
  Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New World Record Deadlift 1128 pounds Josh Bobrowsky Fitness 13 03-11-2013 09:54 AM
New World Record deadlift 1,117 Caught on video Josh Bobrowsky Fitness 4 03-05-2012 10:54 PM
100M World Record Tom Woodward Community 5 06-03-2008 01:39 PM
Fran World Record Brandon Oto Workout of the Day 1 09-15-2007 11:27 AM
World Pullup Record Tim Holmes Competitions 0 04-30-2004 04:48 PM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:24 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
CrossFit is a registered trademark of CrossFit Inc.