CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Competitions
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Competitions Competitions, contests & challenges

Old 03-08-2013, 08:01 PM   #1
Mark Ritchie

Profile:
Earning "credit" by judging the Open?

Did I just miss this? In the Additional Info post / video on the games site, they mention the following:

Quote:
This year, you must report your judge's full name when you submit your score online. You can't be your own judge. If your judge passed the Online Judges Course, they'll earn credit, which is required for them to be considered for a Regional Judge position.
What does this mean? I read it to mean that you need to a lot of judging for consideration for judging at regionals -- but is there more information on what that means exactly (minimum numbers, etc.)?

If I've missed this, could someone point me to where this is explained in more detail? I've read the 2013 Rulebook, etc., and did the judges exam, etc. but don't remember that.

Thanks!
Old 03-08-2013, 10:07 PM   #2
Lan Halbert

Profile:
Re: Earning "credit" by judging the Open?

Does this help at all? https://oc.crossfit.com/ (link safe)
Old 03-09-2013, 01:01 AM   #3
Mark Ritchie

Profile:

No, that doesn't help, but I found a section of the rulebook that may apply:

Quote:
4.ii. Regional Judges must complete CrossFit’s online Judges Course, and validate workouts during the Open. Judges who validate a significant amount of Open performances (on-site and video submissions) will be given more consideration for Regional or Games assignments.
So they leave undefined "significant" but do seem to consider taking it into account in some manner.
Old 10-30-2013, 01:36 PM   #4
Amy Quenzer

Profile:

Mark - did you do any online/video judging for the Open and/or the Games this year, then? I want to Judge at the '14 Games; just hoping gather info from past experiences/who to contact/what to watch for so I'm prepared as Spring '14 Open & Regionals comes along. I haven't found any other threads on the forum that address this. Any info is appreciated!
Old 10-31-2013, 06:32 AM   #5
Sean Dunston

Profile:

When people reported your name as a judge, it added to a total number of athletes you judged. If you also volunteered to judge video submissions, that added to your total number of athletes judged.

Whether that had an actual impact on your selection as a judge at Regionals - I have no idea.

I've been judging regionals/sectionals since they began in 2009. Most of the other judges I judged with this year were the same folks I've been judging with since back then.

Judging isn't easy. The hours are long, there are very few breaks, it is unpaid (and not even reimbursed if you have to travel from far away places, stay in hotels, etc.) and it is largely thankless.

Most of the folks who do it, do it out of a sense of duty to the Community.
Old 11-06-2013, 11:45 AM   #6
Amy Quenzer

Profile:

Thank you for the info, Sean. That is the exact reason I want to Judge. I have been doing Crossfit for almost 4 years and, like many, it has had such an impact in every aspect of my life I felt compelled to find something I could do to give back.

I recently volunteered at The Granite Games in St. Cloud, MN where I was part of the crew that directly assisted the athletes & Judges. It was there that I had 'the calling'. I fully understand (and observed with my own eyes) the time and financial commitment required, however it is a price I am eager to pay to support the committed athletes and continue the movement.

I will keep my eye open for info on Judging video submissions (assuming they're going that route again in '14), however any more info you have as we near the Open and Regionals is greatly appreciated!
Old 11-06-2013, 02:59 PM   #7
Sean Dunston

Profile:

I had forgotten about this, but there was a "Judges' Leaderboard" during the Open. I judged a few online videos. If the video was 10 minutes, I usually watched it 2 times to make sure my rep counting was accurate. Then, if there was a problem with the video/reps/weights/standards/etc. you had to fill out a short questionnaire regarding why things were bad. Call it a minimum of a 12 minute process if a person only viewed the video once and filled out the questionnaire - and perhaps 22-25 minutes if you were extra diligent. And remember - 13.1 was 17 minutes and 13.3 was 12 minutes,

To me, the top 3 ranked people's numbers of videos are beyond comprehension: 2668, 2627 and 1365.
Using the hypothetical 12 minute standard: 2600 + videos x 12 minutes = 31,200 minutes.
That is a minimum of 520 hours, or 65 EIGHT HOUR DAYS of doing nothing but judging videos. uhh, really? Anyway, here's the link - wfs

http://games.crossfit.com/judges-leaderboard