CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout Logs
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout Logs Post your logs here!

Old 06-17-2013, 01:26 PM   #11
Greg Shahade

Profile:
Re: Workout Log

6/11 - STRENGTH: Hang Snatch, up to a peak of 1.

CONDITIONING: In teams of 3 complete AMRAP in 6 minutes: Box Jump 12 reps (24 for both M+F), Rest, Overhead Squat (75/55).

I have almost no experience at the Snatch, compared to my other stuff. Got up to 115 for a set of 2. This seems very low compared to my other numbers but whatever, that's what practice is for.

The metcon was fun, I have no real numbers for Overhead squat either, but I think I did pretty well....I went first with the squats and got like 23 in the first round while my partner was box jumping, 22 in the one after and 20+ I think the final time I went. We had a good team and got 141 total. Sadly the complete scores didn't get posted for this (only scores for early in the day), but at that point our team had the second highest score. YAY US

I think I'm good at doing overhead squats quickly, which makes sense since I seem comparatively good at doing air squats quickly. Just surmised this from the scores that I was able to see.
Old 06-17-2013, 01:30 PM   #12
Greg Shahade

Profile:

SKILL WORK: Strict False Grip Muscle-up to Kipping False Grip Muscle-up (about 15-20 minutes).

CONDITIONING: AMRAP in 15 minutes: Run 400m, complete an unbroken set of muscle-ups – if no MUs, complete an unbroken set of chest-to-bar pull-ups – if no C2B, complete an unbroken set of kipping pull-ups (banded or not).

Very sad day for me. Due to my recent decent performances in XFit I thought maybe I would show up and randomly be able to do a muscle up (even though I had never been close before). I was wrong. I cannot even pretend that it's going to happen soon because I haven't even been close yet. Oh well, at least there is next week (we are working on it for 4 weeks in a row).

The metcon was tough too...although mainly due to my inexperience with C2B pullups. In the first round I ran and came back and was a bit confused how C2B's worked so I got just 5.

Came back again and got 6.

The 3rd time started to figure it out and was able to do 9.

4th time got 8.

Then in one of the biggest disasters of all time I ran around the block again, and came back into the room at the 15:05 mark, so I didn't even get to do any more. Big disaster for two reasons:

1. If I basically knew how to kip the C2B's better in the first set I would have gotten a score above 30 (probably around 34-36?). Instead was stuck with 28. Kind of absurd to get more reps with each successive set.

2. If I just went a little faster at some point I'd have one more round and have been able to squeeze in 4-6 more reps.

Seeing the board for this was interesting as I found out many people could do Muscle Ups well. We don't do them so often, so I didn't realize how many people had them in their arsenal.
Old 06-17-2013, 01:35 PM   #13
Greg Shahade

Profile:

After 9 straight days of Xfit I took a day off on 6/13. All the internet says I am going to die if I go so many days in a row but I kept feeling fine and seeing workouts that seemed not too brutal. However I don't expect 9 days in a row to be the norm and do expect to take a day off each week. (or more if I feel sore or something...although that's pretty rare).

However if I'm about to take a day off and the workout is like "Back Squat peak of 3" - with something like max double unders in 5 minutes as the METCON.....doesn't really feel like the best day to take off.
Old 06-17-2013, 01:39 PM   #14
Greg Shahade

Profile:

6/14:

STRENGTH: Up to a peak set in groups for the Farmer’s Walk.
SKILL WORK: The Tire Flip.
CONDITIONING: Then, AMRAP 3 minutes of tire flips (athletes will take turns, coaches should scale for those who are not able to flip the tire on their own). If we have time, athletes will be given a second chance at the AMRAP, it should be given and both scores should be recorded.

I am unbelievable strongman, farmer's walking with 390 lbs. Coaches did 470 tho. Hopefully I could have done 400-410 lbs but woulda been hard. Huge PR over my previous 240 lbs that I did a billion times in some metcon.

Managed to flip the 800 lb tire twice while warming up and was pretty sure this meant I was world champion of tire flipping. It was hard for me though and I had trouble with this one movement where I had to use my hips, but anyway the coach made me go back to 400 lb tire in the metcon. If there had been more scores on the board of people doing the 800 lb tire I'm sure this would have been a huge blow to my ego, but at that point the board was pretty empty since it was 9 am and almost everyone was doing the medium (400 lb) or light (200 lb) tire. However after seeing the other scores later it was a retroactive blow.

My form was pretty horrible during the three minutes because the coaches kept telling me something about my back. Ended up flipping the tire 26 times which was pretty pedestrian compared to others. I think I should have been able to get 30 somehow. Also quite a few people surprised me by doing the 800 lb tire and by getting 10-20 reps+! So it turns out that I am not actually world champion of tire flipping, but only that I happened to be in a small class of 5 people, none of whom could flip an 800 lb tire. But doesn't 800 lbs sound like a ridiculous amount of weight to move around? I asked my girlfriend how big she thought the tire was that I flipped in class and her first guess was 50 lbs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-17-2013, 01:46 PM   #15
Greg Shahade

Profile:

6/15

For time:

25 Deadlifts (225/155 or, for most about 50% of max should be a good gauge)

50 Pull-ups

25 Deadlifts (225/155)

Weekend workout so nothing but this during class. I need to find a way to practice deadlifting more but not sure how unless it's programmed. I have only failed a single rep of deadlifting in my XFit career and that was at my second XFit total (failed at 385 lbs). Pretty sure with some work I could get this over 400.

Anyway I suck at deadlift. My form is horrible so when we do multiple reps I tire much faster than others, even those with a lower PR.

I went through the first 25 lifts in just under 2 minutes when the coach informed me he was removing some of the weight while I did the pullups. Of course I was very sad because I always want to do everything RXed if it's at all feasible (it USUALLY is these days), but also secretly happy because 225 was killing me near the end. He told me I was rounding my back....and while it might happen sometimes in the second set, it shouldn't be happening in the first set.

I was a bit crappy at the pullups. Maybe the deadlift took a lot out of me but started by doing just 6 in a row. Then another 6!! They took me a while.

The 185s were not too hard. I used mixed grip and brilliantly figured out to switch my mixed grip each time I dropped the bar. This helped a ton. Wish I'd have thought of this gem in the first round. Final time was 8:25. I'm guessing that if I did the second round Rxed also my final time would be in the 9:30-10:30 mark....not sure exactly where...but this is just a wild guess.

Here is what is strange to me:

My PR for back squat is 290. Pretty sure I could do 25 back squats, 50 pullups and 25 backsquats at 225 without a huge problem.

Yet for the deadlift my PR is 375 and it's so much harder to do multiple reps (obv because I must have horrible form). Anyway must work on this.
Old 06-17-2013, 01:58 PM   #16
Greg Shahade

Profile:

6/16:

First I did the squatting class for my first time ever. I intend to do this on a super regular basis once I get home from my upcoming trip.

Since I had no numbers at overhead squat I decided to do that. I did it like once ever and did 105 lbs which is of course a huge joke compared to my other numbers. They had me doing sets of 5 and I quickly found out that these were less about the strength and more about the balance. Did 125 lbs, which didn't seem so hard except for the fact that I was always scared I'd trip, and then went up to 140 lbs for my final set. It seemed super easy to start...Did 2, was like "cool no problem", then something weird happened and the bar came flying out of my hand. So I am stuck at 140, but whatever am going to do this a ton in my future squatting only classes.

CONDITIONING:

“JT” : 21-15-9 reps of: HSPU, Ring Dips, Push-ups with a 15 minute time cap

I am really smart. Why you may ask? Because I was going to skip Sunday but then this workout was a cool benchmark and was pretty sure I would do awesome at it. In my mind I was sure I was awesome at HSPU and that pushups would be fine. The only thing that bothered me was the Ring Dips, as I hadn't done them in a while. But ok it's just moving your arms a bit on a ring, how hard can it be now that I'm much stronger than I was a few months ago (last time I did them much). Also how embarrassing is it that after 5-6 attempts, I still am the worst in all of Crossfit at setting up the rings on the bar and always have to ask someone to help me.

So I cockily set up, pretty certain I was going to have no real problems finishing under 15 minutes. Set up my abmat and 45 lb plates and we were off! Started well, did maybe 12-14 straight HSPU's and was like "lol this is easy". Had to stop at some point but ok whatever, I'll just flip back up and do some more. Turns out that it gets harder and that your arms get tired!!!

But ok it didn't take me super long to get all 21 in....probably before the 2 minute mark, but can't remember exactly.

I do remember that the ring dips were murdering me, but managed to do them in 3 minutes. However they were harder than I remembered.

Also 21 pushups does not sound hard, but turns out it is after doing lots of HSPUs and ring dips. Did a few of these unbroken and resorted to doing them one at a time. Finally finished at the 6 minute mark. Did my mental math and was like "ok well 21 is more than 15 and 9 so even though it took me more than 1/3rd of the time, still plenty of time to go". But my subconscious was saying "lol didn't you learn from Fran that the round of 15 ALWAYS takes longer than the round of 21". I tried to push those evil thoughts out of my mind though.

So I set up for the HSPU's. Wanna guess how many I was able to do in like 9 more minutes?!?!?!?!?! 10!!!!!!!!!!!! At some point with like 3 minutes left I just gave up, removed the 45 lb plates, and started doing them with just an abmat. Finished them, did 7 ring dips (which were impossible), and time was up.

I was destroyed by JT! When I went up to report my score I told the coach that I did 5 of the HSPU's without the plates and she was like "well that's not RX then". So I decided to eliminate my final 5 HSPUS/7 Ringdips in order to get RX'ed. I totally totally underestimated how difficult this would be, but looking forward to seeing how I do at it in 2-4 months, especially with a bit of ring dip practice.`

The whiteboard for this one hasn't gone online yet. Am very very curious to see how skilled the better athletes in the gym were at doing this one (a few really good people were in the class).

Last edited by Greg Shahade : 06-17-2013 at 02:19 PM.
Old 06-17-2013, 02:12 PM   #17
Greg Shahade

Profile:

6/17 OMG am all caught up!!!

STRENGTH: Back Squat, up to a peak of 3.

CONDITIONING: AMRAP in 8 minutes: 3 Chest to Bar Pull-ups, 3 Single Leg Squats (per leg), 6/6, 9/9, 12/12, etc.

This was a good day. Back Squat was feeling ambitious. Last time I back squatted for 3 I failed at 275 after just one rep so my previous 3 rep max is 255. (but I did that for 5 last week).

This time did 255 super easy, went right up to 275....did it (only the last one was tough) and went up to 285. Then managed to do 285 twice and felt oh so close on the last one but failed. But pretty sure this means that 300+ is coming for sure the next time I try, which will be as soon as I can. Sickeningly we are doing back squats every monday this cycle and I am out of town the next two mondays. But all is not lost! I will just go to the next available squatting only class and do Back Squat for 1 rep, and achieve my new max. I'm greedy now, hoping for 305. After that will focus on whichever squatting we aren't focusing on during the cycle.

I was excited about the metcon because it involved pistols, which we basically never do and which I feel pretty good at. Most people used a chair or something and did single leg squats (still am not aware of whether this is the same thing as a pistol, but feels like not having the chair causes you to go deeper?). I have no idea if those are easier or harder than pistols, but ofc was slightly jealous when some people had higher scores than me using the stools and then when the coach wrote SLS next to my name and when I told her I did pistols told me they were the same thing. It's amazing, no one in the class ever seems like they are actually paying attention to how random other people in the class are doing, but are they secretly paying super close attention like me or are they just much better people, happy to just do their best, compete against themselves and not worry about how everyone else is doing. But ok pretty sure the fact that there are scores and there are people doing better than me is what makes me want to do better.

Anyway did round of 3 in like 10-15 seconds or something. Round of 6 was over nearly as fast....Round of 9 I finished well before the 2 minute mark...so was feeling v good. One thing I can say is thank goodness I had that metcon with C2B pullups the week before, otherwise I would have started a lot slower. Round of 12 was where I started to lose some pullup strength. Maybe did 4-5 to start and then had to start doing 1s and 2s. The pistols were still pretty easy though.

The round of 15 is where I really fell apart completely. Did 4-5 to start and then was reduced to doing 1 at a time. Ended up finishing them and doing 9 pistols on each leg. So frustrating because I think if I was just a little better at the C2B I could get pretty deep into the round of 18 and that this could be one of the rare workouts that I can compete with almost anyone. But instead I was just out of gas on the round of 12+15 of C2B. But one day I will get better at doing pullup after pullup!!!!

Watched 1 coach and 1 big champion do it after me and they seemed to be much faster on the C2B than the pistols, where for me it was definitely the reverse. They got into the round of 18 I think, although couldn't tell exactly how far into it.
Old 06-17-2013, 02:54 PM   #18
Greg Shahade

Profile:

Cool tomorrow we are hang snatching for peak and then running a mile for the metcon. Whenever I feel like I maybe should take a day off out of principle, they always manage to make a metcon that's pretty mild (but fun anyway). Gotta say whenever I compare my BOX (that's what I'm supposed to call them I'm told) to others, I really like the programming better. It's like they know exactly what my body is ready for each day and that's what shows up on the schedule. Some of these other boxes seem to have insane high octane metcons almost 100% of the time.
Old 06-18-2013, 08:50 AM   #19
Greg Shahade

Profile:

Turns out I was correct about being good at pistols. After seeing the late night scores I managed to beat some guys who I basically never beat in anything, and some of them by a decent amount. Still think I could have done a lot better....I just needed to be better at the stupid chest to bars. The round of 15 C2B's were just unbelievably slow.

Anyway today our workout was:

POWER: Hang Snatch, up to a peak of 1.

CONDITIONING: The Midtown Mile: complete 4 rounds of the 400m loop for time (as most of you know there are some bumps along the way and the run is actually a bit longer than 400m – thus, “The Midtown Mile”).

So it turns out I suck at the snatch. Only have done it a few times before and it seems extremely technical to me. Managed to only get 115 and it was super shaky the one time I got it. Failed the next two times I tried it...just got scared once I started going up with the bar. I am a huge joke at the snatch. I guess it's the hang snatch which I'm told is slightly harder but whatever, compared to other people's numbers and relative to my other power numbers I can tell my 115 is very poor. Anyway sure it will go up eventually if I keep practicing!

The mile run was weird. There were only three of us in the class and I remember both of them are quite fast. Last time we did the mile run I managed to run it in 6:54, which was a big shock to me. This time I was pretty sure both of these guys would run faster than me so I didn't know what my strategy should be (last time I started pretty slow and then just decided to pass the people ahead of me one at a time).

Anyway the first lap I was slightly ahead of this one guy who I know is fast (because we did a running based metcon before and he was way way way ahead of me). The other runner was already far ahead of me at this point.

The second lap he passed me pretty quickly but I stayed right behind him. Third lap same thing. Basically I figured since he was pretty fast and generally did good at everything, if I just was able to keep pace with him and sprint at the very end, my time should be good (I don't run much so I have no internal feeling of how fast I'm going).

So on the end of the 4th lap I sprinted at the end to get ahead of him and managed to beat him by 2 seconds (which felt like a miracle), but then found out I only did 7:16!!!! Felt like slight jerk passing him at the end after slightly trailing him the entire way but whatever I always sprint at the finish.

So probably I should have just ran faster the whole time or something. Also supposedly it's more like 1.05 miles, so if I translate my time then I guess I ran 6:55, but whatever it's impossible to figure out and who knows how long the previous run was, since we are going on weird city streets, dodging babies and etc.

I definitely think I could have went faster though at some point.....one day I should work on running and try to get to like a six minute mile or something. It feels like that might be really helpful on a lot of metcons.
Old 06-19-2013, 01:21 PM   #20
Greg Shahade

Profile:

What's up blog. 6/19 workout:

“Nate”

Complete as many rounds in twenty minutes as you can of:

2 Muscle-ups (scaled to 4 Banded Transitions)
4 Handstand Push-ups (ab mat+45 lb plates)
8 2-Pood American Kettlebell swings

Obv I can't do a muscle up yet. We did some progressions, probably I should just do these banded transitions nonstop. I actually didn't even attempt to do a muscle up today due to time limitations but I have no illusions that I was going to be able to do it.

Anyway I scaled down to banded transitions (4 of them per round) and did the rest of it RX.

Finished 9 rounds which seemed cool to me. I had trouble pulling the rings in close to my chest when I did the transitions though. Huge joke that I can't do muscle-ups.....theoretically I feel like I should be able to. Also I have no patience so every time I go I hope that I'll somehow magically be able to do them. Eventually it'll be true.

Handstand pushups felt better than they did on JT. Did them mostly unbroken...slipped 1-2 times but usually got right back on. Usually took about a 10-15 second break after the banded transitions so I would be sure to have the energy to do the HSPU straight through...it got pretty tough at the end. In the 9th and final round was worried I wouldn't be able to do it, but made it happen thank goodness (had bad memories of failing nonstop at JT in the round of 15). Kettlebell swings (american) are the easiest part but I had these strings on my shorts and was always scared when I put the kettlebell through my legs that I'd get all tied up.

One time I got really tired of the banded transitions and on my 9th and final set, I rattled out 3 and took me like 90 seconds to get the 4th. Huge joke, since for the most part they didn't seem so hard.

One of the coaches got 14+ rounds doing muscleups and another good guy got 13. Those seem like large numbers

Oh and also this was my 6th day in a row going. However yesterday's workout was so light I was basically 100% not sore....felt almost like I just came off of a rest day. Tomorrow was going to be my day off but leaving town for a bit so will probably go anyway since I doubt I'll feel sore. Also we are doing this Shankle complex...have no idea what it is but probably includes lots of things I'm horrible at (like the Clean, which I have barely ever done unless I'm doing some kind of thruster).

Last edited by Greg Shahade : 06-19-2013 at 01:24 PM.