CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 01-16-2013, 09:04 PM   #1
Jessica Louisy

Profile:
Smile Day 2 at Crossfit

Hey there everyone.

I wanted to post my first post and introduce myself. I'm Jessica and I live in S. FL. 26 and 235lbs 5'4" (need to fix that) This is my first week in the box (Started my first WOD Tuesday) and I'm excited. Its new and different which I like and it teaches me a lot. Great motivation from others and the coaches. My only problem is, is I cant complete a WOD. should I feel bad about this? I hope to finish one someday. btw. you guys are great and great motivation for me.
Old 01-16-2013, 09:35 PM   #2
Brian Strump

Profile:
Re: Day 2 at Crossfit

Nothing to feel bad about. Keep working hard.

Feel bad that it took you so long to find CrossFit.
Feel bad for the people that think you're crazy for trying CrossFit.

Don't feel bad for yourself. You're on the right track to change.

Good luck!
Old 01-17-2013, 06:37 AM   #3
Patrick Rushbrook

Profile:

Congrats on taking that first step. You'll be finishing WODs soon enough. Just make sure you're scaling things down enough that you can get the full benefit of the WOD. Otherwise if you burn out too early you might be short changing yourself. It's only day 2 though. The most important thing is showing up!!
Old 01-17-2013, 10:01 AM   #4
James Gist

Profile:

It's really hard because there is definitely a competitive aspect to being in the box with a dozen other people pounding out the reps but you really just have to go in there and "do you".

Like Patrick said...just show up. Everything else will kind of just happen.

Welcome to crossfit. Enjoy!
Old 01-17-2013, 05:07 PM   #5
Jon Hanover

Profile:

I sometimes can't complete wods and I've done this stuff for years. Remember, it is You against You.... improving is all the matters... not what someone is doing next to you

I've competed several times in crossfit, triathlons, etc.... and I still have to remind myself this you can't change genetics, you can't change the past... you can just improve into the future and put yourself in the present... just keep going
Old 01-17-2013, 07:25 PM   #6
Joe Spinelli

Profile:

I've certainly been where you are. I remember volunteering to start after everyone else so they wouldn't notice how slow I was. For my first 4 months, I was trying to work up to the women's RX weight, and still do that weight on several of the lifts (stupid overhead squats are my nemesis.)
A little bit at a time, (and with the help of a good coach and good people at your box), you'll slowly transition to doing more weight, banded pullups, then regular pullups, then double unders, then handstand pushups, etc. the best part is that there's always something to improve on!

Stick with it, take it slow, ignore the scale for the first month, and have fun.

Last edited by Joe Spinelli : 01-17-2013 at 07:31 PM.
Old 01-17-2013, 08:11 PM   #7
Fran Rose

Profile:

Welcome to CrossFit, Jessica! Don't feel bad that you can't complete a WOD! We've all been there...some folks even after years of CrossFit under their belts. Like all the others before me have said...it's important to scale down to something you can handle. Keep working hard and you'll get there. The first time you do something you've never done before...every time you do something you've never done before (for me it was box jumps, all lifts, pretty much everything) and the whole box gets excited...the feeling is incredible. It won't take long and you'll start seeing the results of your hard work and you'll want more and more.

Keep up the good work! Keep us posted on your progress!
Old 01-17-2013, 08:24 PM   #8
Katrina Fox

Profile:

What I read somewhere:

DFL (dead effing last) is better than DNF (did not finish) is better than DNS (did not start).

Not finishing a workout is far better than not being there. I finish every workout DFL with scaling and I'm almost a year into it. I just remind myself that it is more than I was doing a year before that and at the end of each workout I suck a little bit less than I did before. Keep it up, you'll be fine!
Old 01-17-2013, 09:02 PM   #9
Jessica Louisy

Profile:

Thanks for the advice everyone. I'm pushing everyday and making goals every WOD. I will keep you all posted on my progress. ohhhh and the callus on my hands......i love it. earning it!!!
Old 01-18-2013, 12:20 PM   #10
Patty Wells

Profile:

Yaay I just finished my second week and have my first real class monday. I am scared I am about where you are weight wise and I have been feeling so good about this choice.