CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 01-17-2013, 03:00 AM   #1
Alex Habib

Profile:
Advice On How To Introduce CrossFit To Mcgill University

As the title suggests, I want to introduce Crossfit to Mcgill University. To give a brief background of myself: I am 19 years old in my second year at Mcgill. I was formally introduced to Crossfit in September '12 and have been doing it at my university gym ever since.

Where Crossfit Stands With Mcgill At The Present Time:

I am under the impression that a large number of students do not know what Crossfit is (when I say I Crossfit, I have to explain what exactly that is 9/10 times). The most informed students are in a facebook group of around 100 participants, while only around 10-15 of which are active members (actively participate in Crossfit). The University has no affiliation with Crossfit at the present time.

My Goal:

To fully incorporate Crossfit into the University's athletics. More specifically, for the University to offer Crossfit, or at the very least, Crossfit-like classes, provide nutritional advice that stems from Crossfit's roots, and even to create a Crossfit intercollegiate league. In the end, what I am really shooting for is the university to become an affiliate...It sounds a little odd, I know.This is all hypothetical at this point and assumes that the university AND CrossfitHQ would sign off on these concepts.

Where To Start:

Getting approval from the university and CrossfitHQ to the concept of a university affiliate (or something like one), getting appropriate funding, getting appropriate equipment (a lot of which we already have), advertising, recruiting coaches, etc... The list goes on...

Why This Would Rock:

1) A 35,000 Student population
2) A fitness center with more than enough space
3) Coaches both in the student population and in surrounding affiliates
4) Leading professors and researchers in the sciences, which could potentially provide lectures sponsored or tailored to the Mcgill Crossfiting community
5) The ability for these researchers, etc. to perform tests on a Crossfit community (sounds kind of weird, but I remember in the journal a small series about research involving Crossfiters)

So, how does this concept sound? I understand that there are a huge number of factors to consider and that this is an extremely rough sketch. All criticisms including potential problems, etc are welcome.
Old 01-17-2013, 08:46 AM   #2
Kris Yeung

Profile:
Re: Advice On How To Introduce CrossFit To Mcgill University

That my friend will be an uphill battle with mcgill being synonymous for their physical therapy influence. Being a therapist in a chiropractic office that follows the principals that they publish, I hear many negative connotations about cross fit and it being a great workout modal. I always reiterate to them (the doctors) that injuries will happen in any sport or activity with repetitive stress towards the same motions, joints involved, and muscles being used. I do hope that the folks at Mcgill will keep an open mind to crossfit and will accommodate such a program to their athletes.
Old 01-17-2013, 06:17 PM   #3
Brian Strump

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris Yeung View Post
That my friend will be an uphill battle with mcgill being synonymous for their physical therapy influence. Being a therapist in a chiropractic office that follows the principals that they publish, I hear many negative connotations about cross fit and it being a great workout modal. I always reiterate to them (the doctors) that injuries will happen in any sport or activity with repetitive stress towards the same motions, joints involved, and muscles being used. I do hope that the folks at Mcgill will keep an open mind to crossfit and will accommodate such a program to their athletes.
My thoughts exactly. I do wish you luck!
Old 01-17-2013, 07:04 PM   #4
Matthew Vesey

Profile:

Good luck with this. I had the exact same idea for Carleton University. They seem content with "CU Fit" which seems to be Zumba, cable machines, treadmills, attempted intervals and a whole bunch of things catering a future failed New Years resolution and Freshman 15. I lost all faith in the student population when I was told it is unhealthy to deadlift with a bar lower than quad height. /rant over

I hope it works out well for you as I think it is a great idea.
Age:24, Height: 5'10, Weight: 180, 5km Row: 17:15.3, 500m Row:1:23.6, BS: 440, DL:540, Press: 205:My Log(WFS)
Old 01-17-2013, 07:28 PM   #5
Alex Habib

Profile:

Interestingly enough, I contacted the athletics department and they were actually considering encorperating Crossfit into their program. Now this is in the very beginning stages, so I asked what I could do from the student perspective. They told me to submit a "sports club application" and we'd go from there. Much smoother than I thought it would go... Thanks for the support, so far it seems to be working Any ideas on how to sell it as a non-profit?
Old 01-19-2013, 06:34 PM   #6
Evan Peikon

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Habib View Post
Interestingly enough, I contacted the athletics department and they were actually considering encorperating Crossfit into their program. Now this is in the very beginning stages, so I asked what I could do from the student perspective. They told me to submit a "sports club application" and we'd go from there. Much smoother than I thought it would go... Thanks for the support, so far it seems to be working Any ideas on how to sell it as a non-profit?
for non profit affiliation you need to contact HQ and discuss that with them. (went through the same thing about a year ago). Explain to them that its for students and what your goals are and they'll approve it. Then they'll send you what you need to go though the process, with writing an essay, paper work, proof of insurance etc.
Before you can start that though you need to have a level 1 certification, which I'm assuming you do if your planning on starting an affiliate.
Old 01-24-2013, 04:24 PM   #7
Joey Dussel

Profile:

Sports is probably the way to go. That's what I'm trying to do at Oregon State University. Does anyone know of how it works if I'm an affiliate owner and run a CrossFit club? Do I need to apply for a non-profit affiliation from CF HQ? Or...? Honestly I'm not sure at all what policy CF HQ would have on that.

-Joey
Old 01-24-2013, 06:12 PM   #8
Alex Habib

Profile:

Not sure how a for-profit affiliate can do that, but email HQ and they should let you know. As far as my progress, I'm finalizing the proposal to my university. I'll post any relevant updates...