CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 12-09-2012, 02:40 PM   #11
Michelle Stafford

Profile:
Re: Home garage pull up bars

Okay, here is one of my favorite toys This thing is solid like a rock and I love it. Below is pictures of the unit and a wooden header brace that we used to make it super strong. The header crosses three trusses in our attic. As you can see in the pic below, the unit drops right in with the center gap for the center truss. The bar itself is bolted into the double 2x4's at the bottom of the boxes. The header is constructed with both 2.25" wood screws and Gorilla Glue.

This thing is strong, Hope this helped
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Pullup Bar 01.jpg
Views:	1616
Size:	121.4 KB
ID:	10084  Click image for larger version

Name:	Pullup Bar 02.jpg
Views:	1582
Size:	93.3 KB
ID:	10085  Click image for larger version

Name:	Pullup Bar 03.jpg
Views:	1365
Size:	131.4 KB
ID:	10086  Click image for larger version

Name:	Pullup Bar 04.jpg
Views:	1712
Size:	116.4 KB
ID:	10087  
Old 12-10-2012, 03:30 AM   #12
Chris Guillermo

Profile:

I have the Stud Pull Up bar and it works great. Got mine on amazon last year and it was under $100
Old 12-10-2012, 07:18 AM   #13
Austin Jones

Profile:

I have the Studbar as well.......rock solid. I'm 225# and have been using it for 3 years. My garage hasn't collapsed yet.
Old 12-10-2012, 07:39 AM   #14
Snir Golan

Profile:

Studbar here is well. got it from Amazon for about $90 with free shipping and it is as solid as solid can be. i use it for kipping, rings, used it for a heavy bag a bit and the thing is not going anywhere.
Old 12-21-2012, 11:51 AM   #15
Robert Abitia

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ari Sherwood View Post
I have the Stud Bar (http://www.studbarpullup.com/ WFS) and it's great. Handles kipping with no issues.
I can vouch that the Studbar is a beast. I'm 300# and it holds me without even budging. At my size, I'm still working my way up to un-assisted pullups. I use a black band and kip with it. I do TTB and still haven't pulled it out of the ceiling. I think that as long as you can hit the center of the stud, most of these bars will hold just fine... So buy a good stud finder!

I can vouch for the Studbar.
Old 12-21-2012, 12:46 PM   #16
Clint Harris

Profile:

Here's mine.

It's outside under the deck and my head goes up between the rafters. It's right outside the door so it's only like 5s of travel time from the garage or spare room.
The vertical supports (3/4" galv pipe) are 9" long and the rafters are 2x10" so I have about 20" of head clearance and can of a chest to bar (keeping pretty upright/strict as opposed to overextending to get there)

The bar itself is 1.25" black bar and obviously, the 90* elbows are 3/4"-1.25" converter. I did this to save on cost for the vertical pipe and because 3/4" is a little small for my hands and would chew them up. My wife also wanted it "guy size" for her to build some grip strength. I think the only flange avail was 3/4" too - which was also a "design" consideration.

I then have a 2x6" plank (treated) that the flanges are bolted too. Drilled straight through with these and used the largest washers I could find to disperse the load. Then the 2x6 are then attached to rafters with ~6" lag bolts (drilled and screwed).
This thing aint going anywhere. There is some minimal wiggle in it when I start kipping big - but it's like 1/2" movement at most. I could solve it by putting some angled supports in place of vertical supports ... but I see no point.

Also, because it's outside, and treated timber is in use, be sure to use galvanized bolts, screws and flanges.

I'm 6'2 225# with long arms. I have to jump up a few inches to get it so it's plenty high enough ... no bent knees to miss the floor etc.
Cost was probably $30-40 or so and took me about 1 hr to assemble. Just about blew up my drill getting the lag screws in though ... lots of ozone/arcing smells from the poor electric motor (mains power too).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	iPhone 181.jpg
Views:	1315
Size:	156.9 KB
ID:	10737  

Last edited by Clint Harris : 12-21-2012 at 12:50 PM.