CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 05-09-2012, 11:54 AM   #1
Andrew Klopfenstein

Profile:
Pain in foot while walking

Not sure how, but I've done some damage to my foot. Deadlifted and ran a 5k last wed, squatted on friday all with no pain. Woke up sunday morning and I could immediately tell something wasn't right. There was a weird pain in my outer foot (towards the end of the 5th metatarsal, maybe the next bone down) that got progressively worse as I walked.

Some things to note:

Only walking aggravates it. Standing, bike riding, squatting don't cause pain at all. It seems to be worse in shoes without arch support... I walked a 1/4 mile in flip flops yesterday and could barely move by the time I got back... Got off my feet for a couple hours and the pain went away... Later I rode 20 miles on my bike and never felt anything. My new balance minimus definitely make the pain worse too.

The pain sounds like a stress fracture, but its not in a spot where they normally occur, and I don't do any repetitive high impact cardio (the 5k was the first running I've done in over a year). Could a 5k out of the blue in my minimal shoes have cause a fracture? I don't have health insurance and I'm starting a job in 2 weeks that will have me on my feet all day, so there is really nothing I can do right but take it easy, ibuprofin, fish oil, ice etc.
Old 05-10-2012, 08:11 PM   #2
Sean Rockett

Profile:
Re: Pain in foot while walking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Klopfenstein View Post
Not sure how, but I've done some damage to my foot. Deadlifted and ran a 5k last wed, squatted on friday all with no pain. Woke up sunday morning and I could immediately tell something wasn't right. There was a weird pain in my outer foot (towards the end of the 5th metatarsal, maybe the next bone down) that got progressively worse as I walked.

Some things to note:

Only walking aggravates it. Standing, bike riding, squatting don't cause pain at all. It seems to be worse in shoes without arch support... I walked a 1/4 mile in flip flops yesterday and could barely move by the time I got back... Got off my feet for a couple hours and the pain went away... Later I rode 20 miles on my bike and never felt anything. My new balance minimus definitely make the pain worse too.

The pain sounds like a stress fracture, but its not in a spot where they normally occur, and I don't do any repetitive high impact cardio (the 5k was the first running I've done in over a year). Could a 5k out of the blue in my minimal shoes have cause a fracture? I don't have health insurance and I'm starting a job in 2 weeks that will have me on my feet all day, so there is really nothing I can do right but take it easy, ibuprofin, fish oil, ice etc.
would start with rest and immobilization, hard shoes like clogs can rest the metatarsals, if not better next week see someone
Old 05-13-2012, 08:53 PM   #3
Steven Low

Profile:

Non-painful mobility for the most part & don't aggravate it like Sean said.

Could be some tendonitis of the peroneals, or stress fracture, or some type of apophysitis of the base of the 5th met head (where the peroneals insert).

Pretty much if not significantly improving over the next half a week I'd get it checked by an orthopedic doc (screen for fracture) then likely refer to PT if not fractured.
Old 05-15-2012, 03:17 PM   #4
Andrew Klopfenstein

Profile:

Pain is pretty much gone at this point. I still feel a "pressure" where the pain was from time to time. Especially in the morning when I first get out of bed its a little achy, but after 5 minutes of walking around it feels fine.
Old 05-16-2012, 08:20 AM   #5
Alexander Nestoiter

Profile:

I have exact same condition now. I think it's because I either bumped my foot in that area or there was something in the shoe, like a seam, or insole, or even sock that got bunched up in that area and progressively kept applying pressure in that area of the foot. Our feet can take intermittent pressure (on-off-on-off) but get very irritated with consistent pressure. I once had a bad pain in the heel of my right foot. Went to doctors, did many tests, etc. Then someone noticed that I walk in my slippers with the area of the shoe that's behind the heel, folded down. I was stepping on top of the seam of that part. After months of walking like that, I developed inner bruise. After I replaced what I wear at home, the problem went away in a month. (Feet take longest to heal, so don't rush it.) I make special foot massaging rock pillows for sale. I took one such rock pillow this morning. I folded a towel several times and put it on top of the rock pillow. The pillow is designed to give you vigorous foot massage simply by having your body weight press against natural rocks inside of it. With the bruise there, I donít need vigorous, I need very GENTLY massage of my foot. It felt better after. If interested, you can make something like this yourself. It's easy. I'll point you where you can read more detail about it, if interested. I hope it works for you too. Search for nestoiter-gravity on Amazon and Google (nestoiter-gravity foot massaging rock pillow) to find this info on my website: my own water pipe dot com, all one word. Take it easy. Hope you heal soon.