CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 05-09-2012, 02:03 PM   #1
Zack Gorstein

Profile:
Rice, Lentils and Quinoa

Hi all, I'm trying to gain mass so upping my calories. I've received great guidance on mass gain in this forum. I've been mostly paleo with some oats in the morning along with eggs and greens, and a carb / whey isolate shake pre- and post- wod. This really works for me in terms of feeling good and performing.

I'm eating plenty of protein and fat, but it's been hard to get enough carbs to support weight gain, so I've been adding in even more non-paleo foods. Based on Cordain's new book and other things I've read, rice, lentils and quinoa seem to be the lesser offenders in the Paleo world. Fewer anti-nutrients, etc. (And since Cordain has a motivation to paint a unified, consistent picture, this can almost be seen as his blessing) Cordain even says quinoa is OK once in a while.

Rice makes me a bit bloated but I can handle it. Lentils and quinoa have the added benefit of protein.

I couldn't find much by searching each of these words in the forum. I'm going to experiment with each of these foods, but wanted to throw the question out: What have your experiences been? I have read a lot about how the case against legumes is potentially overblown. Are the carbs from legumes similar to starch, and can they support performance and recovery in WODs like grains can? (this is what grains do for me. I know some people are different. Just curious about others' experiences).

Do carbs from legumes result in additional water storage in your body, the way grains do? I ask because I've never looked more shredded -- nor felt more crappy -- than when I cut out grains for a couple months. If I can find a source of carbs to fuel my workouts, while gaining lean mass, I'd be happy.

As always, thanks for the help. I'm psyched to begin experimenting.
Old 05-09-2012, 03:04 PM   #2
Rebecca Roth

Profile:
Re: Rice, Lentils and Quinoa

Legumes are low glycemic (they're also counted as both carb and protein usually), so typically no they don't share that bloating associated with high glycemic carbs. Quinoa is technically a seed, so its usually the least likely of those you are interested in to result in inflammation.
Old 05-10-2012, 12:23 PM   #3
Zack Gorstein

Profile:
Re: Rice, Lentils and Quinoa

Great - thanks. That's really helpful - I think quinoa is a good way to go.