CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 05-09-2012, 07:35 AM   #1
Josiah Caprino

Profile:
Strength gains and Specific Goals (intermediate level fitness)

Hello,

I am new to the crossfit methodology, but I have been lifting and trying to maintain fitness (running, cals) for about the past 5 years. However, I would like to take it to the next level especially with strength.

Here's a few stats:

Currently I am a little over 5'9'' 168# 20 years old

1RM Bench: 225#
1RM Squat: Always have worried about back injuries, haven't tried
1RM Deadlift: Haven't tried yet, maybe will do today

I can do about 16-18 *perfect* deadhang pullups
4800M (12 laps around track) is about 20:50
500M swim (probably couldn't complete yet, but working on form through TI Swim Method)

I am a stickler for good form in the weight room.

And here is what I am trying to achieve:

1RM Bench 305#
30 *perfect* deadhang pullups
Sub 18:00 5K
Get better at deadlifts/squats/Olympic weightlifting

(Learn to swim: any swim books or workouts would be appreciated)

I realize my running goals and strength goals are going to make it very difficult to achieve both at the same time, so I wanted to ask advice on how to approach this. As of recent, I have been following the "Bulk up, Slim down" methodology," but I am always wanting to keep my 5k time down while increasing my strength.

I just finished about an 8 week lifting routine, 4 days on 1 day off for cardio, where I substituted the leg workouts for cardio (fartleks, sprints, LSD's). I found that when I did the leg workouts, my running ability was absolutely smoked for a good 4-5 days after. I noticed some pretty good strength gains (bench went from 195# to 225#) and I can see gains in mass too. Looking to switch it up again.

Any thoughts?
Old 05-09-2012, 08:00 AM   #2
Jason Wallis

Profile:
Re: Strength gains and Specific Goals (intermediate level fitness)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josiah Caprino View Post
... However, I would like to take it to the next level especially with strength...

Any thoughts?
Start squatting.
Old 05-09-2012, 08:04 AM   #3
Steven Low

Profile:

Wouldl likely be a good idea to go to a dedicated strength routine, with running.

3-4x a week lifting,. with running after your workouts.
Old 05-09-2012, 11:12 AM   #4
Larry Bruce

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josiah Caprino View Post
Hello,

I am new to the crossfit methodology, but I have been lifting and trying to maintain fitness (running, cals) for about the past 5 years. However, I would like to take it to the next level especially with strength.

Any thoughts?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Wallis View Post
Start squatting.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Low View Post
Wouldl likely be a good idea to go to a dedicated strength routine, with running.

3-4x a week lifting,. with running after your workouts.
Hey Steven ... got your book! Nice job

Guys, should someone starting Xfit give it a chance for say 3 months to see what kind of impact it it has on their running and lifts, as well as letting their body adjust to it before messing with volumes on either running or lifting individually? Just curious...

The traditional recommendation for improving 5K times will be run more and for strength Starting Strength or 5-3-1 if more advanced. SS done right should add mass and strength but this may or may not help running - it might if you are fundamentally lacking.

It sounds like strength is your main goal, so running after strength work is better than before it, however doing it on another day is probably even better if you can. You'll benefit in either case, though as you progress further dividing it up may be better.

In short you will have more success trying to advance one attribute while maintaining the other. It's going to be difficult and often
impossible to gain in both areas at the same time. If you care mainly about strength now, focus on that and just run 2x week
to maintain cardio - two tempo runs or one longer run and one shorter/faster run.

Swimming ... no idea. I just use it for active recovery. You might consider checking out a masters swim program. They will teach you.
It's really hard to see yourself swim and adjust.

Personally if you want to completely mix it up, you might limit both running and accessory strength work
and focus on Xfit for a few months. You might lean down a bit, improve strength/weight ratio and find better results when
you return to sports specific training. Just a thought...

Last edited by Larry Bruce : 05-09-2012 at 11:24 AM.
Old 05-09-2012, 02:43 PM   #5
Clifton Mack

Profile:

Don't make the same mistake I did and neglect Deadlifts and Squats, common HUGE mistake. When I was 20 and newer to lifting, my bench was about the same as yours (around 225#). I focused on upper body and did high reps with low to moderate weight. I was in the military and ran a lot so my cardio was good. Focus on back/front squat (deep squats) and deadlift form and do it often, as you get better do it heavy. All your other lifts will benefit. My squat was terrible at first but skyrocketed after a my I got my form dialed in. Make sure you have that balance, I wish I would have known what i was doing when I was 20. Good Luck
Old 05-09-2012, 02:48 PM   #6
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

Buy the SS book and/or DVDs if you need to learn how to do the lifts properly and don't have access to a coach, but the SS program is not a good fit given your running goals. You could make something like 5/3/1 work with one longer run and one or two interval days per week.
Old 05-10-2012, 08:11 AM   #7
Josiah Caprino

Profile:

Thanks for the input guys- I guess the best thing I can do is start back squats again. I'm going to check out the 5-3-1 program too and try to mix some Westside barbell elements in with it.

Also @ Clifton, I'm actually thinking about SOF military, can I ask what branch you were in?