CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 05-08-2012, 10:37 AM   #1
peterd smith

Profile:
Scapholunate ligament tear (wrist)

I tore this ligament in March trying to get muscle ups. I felt/heard it go. While waiting for diagnosis I was still doing modified WOD's. Pull-ups/pulling exercises, no issue but push and my hand felt like it was coming apart.

Had surgery two weeks ago. Ligament was torn in the middle...dorsal capsulodeses to reinforce/repair what was left. Three temp pins to hold bones in alignment. In a cast for ten weeks, pins get pulled then a long rehab.

Looking to see if anyone has had similar injury/surgery and how it went. I know it is a long recovery. Thanks.
Old 05-08-2012, 09:05 PM   #2
Sean Rockett

Profile:
Re: Scapholunate ligament tear (wrist)

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterd smith View Post
I tore this ligament in March trying to get muscle ups. I felt/heard it go. While waiting for diagnosis I was still doing modified WOD's. Pull-ups/pulling exercises, no issue but push and my hand felt like it was coming apart.

Had surgery two weeks ago. Ligament was torn in the middle...dorsal capsulodeses to reinforce/repair what was left. Three temp pins to hold bones in alignment. In a cast for ten weeks, pins get pulled then a long rehab.

Looking to see if anyone has had similar injury/surgery and how it went. I know it is a long recovery. Thanks.
long rehab unfortunately lots of OT after cast is off, good luck.
Old 05-09-2012, 01:04 PM   #3
peterd smith

Profile:

Thanks. Just wanted to see if anyone has had similar and what success (or lack of) with it. Also, are there any movements that I should just stay away from once I am released for training (other than the muscle up, which I am going to give up on).
Old 05-10-2012, 08:08 PM   #4
Sean Rockett

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterd smith View Post
Thanks. Just wanted to see if anyone has had similar and what success (or lack of) with it. Also, are there any movements that I should just stay away from once I am released for training (other than the muscle up, which I am going to give up on).
push ups and pressing over head will be biggest hurdle
Old 10-21-2012, 06:47 PM   #5
peterd smith

Profile:

If anyone cares...6 months post op. Range of motion loss in both directions and is about 10 degrees each way. Still pretty sore at end ranges. Push-ups are tough...I have a balloon filled with baking soda (bought it five and below) that is used for finger strengthening (by kneading it) that I place under the heel of my hand to do push-ups. Oly lifts are really tough as is the overhead squat. Paralettes (sp?) for HSPU.

Anyone contemplating surgery should probably go for it...stability is 100% whereas before certain movements felt like my hand was coming apart (think about the feeling you get if your knee goes backwards and it was similar).

Looking for a recommendation for a good wrist wrap. I think it would help on the Oly lifts.
Old 03-25-2014, 06:45 AM   #6
Dorian Mosack

Profile:

This is a long shot but I had the exact same surgery you did. I tore mine boxing and I am about 9 months post op and having an extremely difficult time healing. I own an affiliate and to be honest I haven't been easy on it. I received a cortisone shot which temporarily increased my range but unfortunately I'm in worse shape now than before the surgery. I've developed tendinitis and I'm not finding much relief.

Any other tips?