CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 05-09-2012, 01:19 AM   #1
Justin Wang

Profile:
GSLP -> Crossfit

Hey everyone,

I've been doing a strength program called GSLP specifically to get strong enough to do Crossfit WOD's as RXed. After around three months, I am okay with my progress, but I would like to come back to my original goal of working out by doing crossfit.

I am currently looking at outlaw programming - specifically, I would start from 12-27-11 (http://outlawcrossfit.com/2011/12/26/111227/), which is the beginning of their hatch squat cycle. I've looked at both the general outlaw and the outlaw way programming for games athletes. I really like the latter because it includes both the back and front squat of the Hatch Squat cycle, which he sometimes supersets with presses and bench. However, I don't know if my body can handle the sheer volume of work. It is written specifically for games athletes who are much, much stronger and more capable than I am.

What programming should I follow if I am hoping to continue getting bigger and stronger by doing crossfit? Outlaw(general) scaled when necessary, Outlaw way(for games athletes) with scaled conditioning/skill workouts, or something else entirely, like CFFB?

If it helps, my stats are: 5' 9", 150lb, squat 1RM 255, Deadlift 1RM 315, Press 1RM 135. (crossfit total of 705 vs. 605 before GSLP, woohoo!)

Last edited by Justin Wang : 05-09-2012 at 01:25 AM.
Old 05-09-2012, 06:39 AM   #2
Craig Horstman

Profile:
Re: GSLP -> Crossfit

Why quit gslp right now? It looks like you still have a long way you can go with linear before quitting. I am on month 4 of GSLP, started for the same reasons as you, at the same height as you, and when i started was 10lbs heavier than you. In 2 months on the program I gained 12lbs and had roughly the same numbers as you (see sig line). It's been about 2 more months and I haven't tried maxes again, but I know they have gone up. I would say if your goals are to rx wods, then you still have a good way to go, and can still make a crap load of progress with GSLP. I say stick with it for a while.

Last edited by Craig Horstman : 05-09-2012 at 07:01 AM.
Old 05-09-2012, 07:56 AM   #3
Jason Wallis

Profile:

To echo Craig...
If what you're doing is working, and it sounds like it is, there's absolutely no good reason to change.
Old 05-09-2012, 08:44 AM   #4
Dustin Wintczak

Profile:

Yeah I will third what Jason and Craig said. Especially if one of your goals is to do WOD's Rx'd. Stick with the linear strength programming and eat a lot. At 5'9" 150lbs you've got lots of room to add strength and size without being "big". That said, I love The Outlaw Way but based on where you're at with your 1RM's you've got a ways to go. Obviously the program is scale-able for anyone but if I remember correctly there were quite a few conditioning WOD's in January-Feb that called for DL's 65lbs above where your current 1RM is but in the 20-30 rep range. Good luck!
Old 05-14-2012, 07:36 PM   #5
Hollie Jacobs

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Horstman View Post
Why quit gslp right now? It looks like you still have a long way you can go with linear before quitting. I am on month 4 of GSLP, started for the same reasons as you, at the same height as you, and when i started was 10lbs heavier than you. In 2 months on the program I gained 12lbs and had roughly the same numbers as you (see sig line). It's been about 2 more months and I haven't tried maxes again, but I know they have gone up. I would say if your goals are to rx wods, then you still have a good way to go, and can still make a crap load of progress with GSLP. I say stick with it for a while.
Yes, why quit?
Old 05-14-2012, 08:05 PM   #6
Doug Blankenship

Profile:

In case anyone didn't ask this OP. Why quit now?