CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 05-05-2012, 02:55 PM   #1
Eneas Bradly

Profile:
Pain/Pull in right hip

Hi everyone,

hope someone can help me or give me some tips regarding my injury.

It started 4 months ago. After 3x 100 air squats I had problems to raise my right knee. It was not the first time - probably the second or third time, but the other times the minor pain disappeared after 2 days. However, the last ime was different. I had severe pain in my right hip on the outside, close to the hip bone on an area with a size of about 2 or 3 square centimeter even during the night. It was not possible for me to lie on the right side of my hip. When I just wanted to tie my shoes and kneel on the left foot while the other foot is on the floor (narrow angle of torso and tigh) it started hurting for several hous/days. The pain was not acute but rather it was like a permanent pull. Pressure on the area isn't helpful. Pain lasts for at least 7 or 10 days without being able to do any sports.
However, the pain got smaller but started again when I tried to do one or two air squats. I have already been at a sports physician. The MRT of the hip didn't show anything. So he prescribed me some physical therapy and tolds me he think it's an overload of fascie latae or iliopsoas on the right side of my hip. However, after 3 weeks of physical therapy (twice a week and a lot of stretching every day), I can still feel some pull in my outside hip, particularly after just staying a few seconds in an air squat. Also rising the right knee causes a slight pull in my hip that remains. When I completly rest (without stretching and any other things) it disappears.

Hope someone can give me some hints so that I can start doing squats ASAP after 4 endless months!
Eneas
Old 05-05-2012, 06:54 PM   #2
Sean Rockett

Profile:
Re: Pain/Pull in right hip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eneas Bradly View Post
Hi everyone,

hope someone can help me or give me some tips regarding my injury.

It started 4 months ago. After 3x 100 air squats I had problems to raise my right knee. It was not the first time - probably the second or third time, but the other times the minor pain disappeared after 2 days. However, the last ime was different. I had severe pain in my right hip on the outside, close to the hip bone on an area with a size of about 2 or 3 square centimeter even during the night. It was not possible for me to lie on the right side of my hip. When I just wanted to tie my shoes and kneel on the left foot while the other foot is on the floor (narrow angle of torso and tigh) it started hurting for several hous/days. The pain was not acute but rather it was like a permanent pull. Pressure on the area isn't helpful. Pain lasts for at least 7 or 10 days without being able to do any sports.
However, the pain got smaller but started again when I tried to do one or two air squats. I have already been at a sports physician. The MRT of the hip didn't show anything. So he prescribed me some physical therapy and tolds me he think it's an overload of fascie latae or iliopsoas on the right side of my hip. However, after 3 weeks of physical therapy (twice a week and a lot of stretching every day), I can still feel some pull in my outside hip, particularly after just staying a few seconds in an air squat. Also rising the right knee causes a slight pull in my hip that remains. When I completly rest (without stretching and any other things) it disappears.

Hope someone can give me some hints so that I can start doing squats ASAP after 4 endless months!
Eneas
One thought is hip abductor tendonitis as 3x100 air squats is a buttload of squats (pardon the pun). Rest usually makes better but 4 months is a long time for this. Other thought is labrum as it can sometimes refer to outside or lateral side of hip either one would not show up on MRI especially if contrast was not used.
Old 05-06-2012, 03:42 AM   #3
Eneas Bradly

Profile:

Thank you for your quick reply. There was no contrast used in MRI. Is there any test how I can check if the pain is caused by labrum?
Best regards Eneas
Old 05-06-2012, 06:45 PM   #4
Sean Rockett

Profile:

classically pain with flexion adduction internal rotation or extension and external rotation
Old 05-14-2012, 08:53 AM   #5
Eneas Bradly

Profile:

Hi,

my doctor told me he doesn't think its the lumbar because of the reason that the pain decreases in time. Four and a half months ago I had 2 or 3 days pain when i tried to do the third world squat.

When I try to do it now, the pain is just a third of the intensity but I can still feel that something is wrong and the pain dissapears quicker but I can feel a light pull even when I rest for several hours.

I have attached a picture so that you can better see where it hurts. Hope it helps to calrify what I have...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	hip_pain.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	21.2 KB
ID:	9272  
Old 05-14-2012, 07:59 PM   #6
Sean Rockett

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eneas Bradly View Post
Hi,

my doctor told me he doesn't think its the lumbar because of the reason that the pain decreases in time. Four and a half months ago I had 2 or 3 days pain when i tried to do the third world squat.

When I try to do it now, the pain is just a third of the intensity but I can still feel that something is wrong and the pain dissapears quicker but I can feel a light pull even when I rest for several hours.

I have attached a picture so that you can better see where it hurts. Hope it helps to calrify what I have...
hip abductor tendonitis can refer there, but so can hip labral pathology. Typically labrum is pain in extremes of motion while tendonitis is pain lying directly on that side or climbing stairs.
Old 05-15-2012, 08:05 AM   #7
Steven Low

Profile:

What did your physical therapist say their "PT diagnosis was"?
Old 05-15-2012, 10:14 AM   #8
Eneas Bradly

Profile:

The doctor told me he think it's an overload of fascie latae or iliopsoas and the physio therapist says its related to the IT-Band. However, MRI of hip without contrast and MRI of lumbar are both negative.
Old 05-19-2012, 04:44 PM   #9
Steven Low

Profile:

Likely something soft tissue then.

I would see if you can try to find a sports physical therapist.