CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 05-06-2012, 04:42 AM   #1
Daniel John Mason

Profile:
just starting out. help needed in uk!

hi all. my first post on here so bare with me if i dont fully understand everything.
small bit of background is i was a keen football,rugby and golf player until about 6 years ago when i tore my left medial knee ligament playing football, which then led to me tearing it again about a year later playing football.just after completing my rehab i slipped down some stairs and ruptured my left anterior cruciate and damaged cartliage so i have been petty much in active for 4 years apart from a bit of jogging on the treadmil and upper body weights.
i have been searching for something to do to improve my fitness when i found the circuit training dvd's called 'insanity' which to my amazement doesnt hurt my knee at all and have built loads of strength up in my left leg meaning im now able to deadlift,squat,push prerss etc so i figured id try crossfit.as well as my boxing training which i do at home on my bag.
my problem is some of the weights in the benchmark crossfit wods are just too heavy for me at the moment. so should i really start up on a strength programme 1st? until i can do the weights or do the wods with lighter weights until i can increase the weights up to benchmark? cheers all

Last edited by Daniel John Mason : 05-06-2012 at 04:57 AM.
Old 05-06-2012, 06:20 PM   #2
David Meverden

Profile:
Re: just starting out. help needed in uk!

The approach depends on your goals, Daniel.

If you just want an overall good level of fitness with a minimum amount of time working out then just do the WoDs, but scaled. Brand X posts scaled versions of the mainpage WoDs every day on their forum (check the CrossFit.com FAQ for info. Pretty sure the link is there). Start out scaling more than you think you have to and educate yourself on how to perform the movements. There are some good videos online but I also always recommend Starting Strength by Mark Rippetoe. Best book around on the major lifts. Over time doing WoDs (including the mainpage strength WoDs) you'll get stronger, but not that fast.

If you want to be a high level performer in the world of CF then focusing on strength for 6 months to a year before focusing on conditioning would probably get you to high level status faster than trying to train both at once, but you may find just working strength is boring or you might get sick of not being well conditioned.

If you don't mind more time in the gym, want to be big and strong AND conditioned, then I'd check out a strength biased program. CrossFit Football is frequently recommended, but there are tons more out there (Note that CF Football does incorporate sprints and things that you would need to be careful with with your history).

So that's a quick run down. Hope it helps!
Old 05-07-2012, 08:04 AM   #3
Daniel John Mason

Profile:

thank you very much david. great explanation.
i have posted in nutriton section also regarding diet and the general chain of though was im trying to do too much at once.
ive just started today with the 5-3-1 strength programme which i will do 4 days a week as well as my conditioning work.
im currently 175 lbs and 5'10" so am not big. but i am fairly lean and fit-ish.
my aim is to get to 180-185 lbs and maintain/lose boby fat. so the conditioning/light weight wods im very happy with.its just the heavier ones i struggle with. even linda i cant rep out 10 reps at bodyweight on bench press which is quite embarrassing! and i cant deadlift 1 rep at 1.5x bodyweight mever mind 10 reps. im not all that strong really
Old 05-07-2012, 08:51 AM   #4
Graeme Moore

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel John Mason View Post
... even linda i cant rep out 10 reps at bodyweight on bench press which is quite embarrassing! and i cant deadlift 1 rep at 1.5x bodyweight mever mind 10 reps. im not all that strong really
Not embarrassing at all mate, there's a reason they call her '3 bars of death'!

Looking at where you are, it may be worth getting in touch with Davie Easton up in Motherwell - CrossFit Central Scotland - will be about a 2.5 hr drive for you but it's startling how much a session, or even a proper conversation, with a certified bona fide trainer can help you come on leaps and bounds. Davie's one strong, knowledgeable fella.

There may be some other boxes closer to you (I noticed one in Clitheroe), but either way it's something you should consider.

By the way, I'm assuming you're just training on your own, forget it if not
Old 05-07-2012, 09:08 AM   #5
Daniel John Mason

Profile:

i am training at home and with my local gym but never been to a box as i am to weak to do it.
1xrm on bench is 100kg
1xrm deadlift 120kg
1xrm back squat 90kg
dead hang pull ups i can only manage 11 reps
i can do jeremy 21-15-9 (unweighted overhead squat to burpee) in 3 min 42 which i thought was reasonable considering im only 2 weeks in but fran took me 11 mins 40 as i cant get the pull ups done.and struggling to learn kipping.i was literally doing 1 pull up,letting go,resting,1more pull up, letting go and so on.so it took ages and i was goosed!
Old 05-08-2012, 09:22 AM   #6
Hollie Jacobs

Profile:

Another very helpful post. Sorry, I'm also new to this that's why and I'm trying to learn a lot from all the threads here.
Old 05-09-2012, 04:36 AM   #7
Graeme Moore

Profile:

Quote:
1xrm on bench is 100kg
1xrm deadlift 120kg
1xrm back squat 90kg
Ok, if they're true maxes then your numbers are a bit out of whack. Based on your bench I'd probably want my squat above 150kg and dead over 200kg.

You could definitely do with focusing on strength. If you also want to maintain some conditioning and run a few WODs, then you're going to have to consider a hybrid program CF Football and Greyskull LP are the most popular on these boards and are a great starting point as I think you could increase those numbers through linear progression. There's also the option of Wendler's 531 or a Westside Conjugate approach, again these are talked about a lot on the boards. Search for their threads and/or Google them.
Old 05-09-2012, 03:30 PM   #8
Daniel John Mason

Profile:

thanks graeme. ive started the 5-3-1 this week and it seems good. the reason i struggle to squat and deadlift is because i ruptured my acl a few years ago and only did my first weighted squats and deadlifts 3 weeks ago.
i like to look at is as though my deadlift has gone up 120kg in the last 3 weeks! bet not many can say that.lol. cheers
Old 05-10-2012, 01:43 AM   #9
Graeme Moore

Profile:

Quote:
thanks graeme. ive started the 5-3-1 this week and it seems good. the reason i struggle to squat and deadlift is because i ruptured my acl a few years ago and only did my first weighted squats and deadlifts 3 weeks ago.
i like to look at is as though my deadlift has gone up 120kg in the last 3 weeks! bet not many can say that.lol. cheers
Fair enough!
Old 05-10-2012, 06:50 AM   #10
Walter Augustine

Profile:

Quote:
thank you very much david. great explanation.
i have posted in nutriton section also regarding diet and the general chain of though was im trying to do too much at once.
ive just started today with the 5-3-1 strength programme which i will do 4 days a week as well as my conditioning work.
im currently 175 lbs and 5'10" so am not big. but i am fairly lean and fit-ish.
my aim is to get to 180-185 lbs and maintain/lose boby fat. so the conditioning/light weight wods im very happy with.its just the heavier ones i struggle with. even linda i cant rep out 10 reps at bodyweight on bench press which is quite embarrassing! and i cant deadlift 1 rep at 1.5x bodyweight mever mind 10 reps. im not all that strong really
Wendler's 5-3-1 is a program for intermediate to advanced lifters for whom a linear progression is impossible. It seems to me that you have a lot of strength to gain from a linear program. I'd recommend doing a beginner program like StrongLifts 5x5, as it's suitable for moderate hypertrophy as well.

Someone recently posted a strength routine that goes as follows:
Day A: Back Squat 2x5,1x5+//Bench Press 2x5,1x5+
Day B: Deadlift 1x5+//Press 2x5,1x5+
Day C: Front Squat 2x5,1x5+/Push Press 1x5+

This is another option, but I would switch the strict press to day C and replace the push press with weighted pullups on day B.