CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 04-26-2012, 09:42 AM   #11
Robert Bohn

Profile:
Re: Hypertrophy Program for Skinny Guys

Steve SFAS is Special Forces Assessment and Selection it's 3 weeks of rucking a 45lb - 70lb rucksack and carrying a rubber M16 during a variety of activities designed to place candidates under various forms of physical and mental stress. It assesses potential and qualities through behavioral observation, analysis via performance measure, and recording data. All tasks are performed in a neutral environment with limited information and no performance feedback. I'll be carrying sandbags for 2 to 5 kilometers test alot of grip strength, going through obstacle courses, and swim 50m with boots and a uniform on. Oh and sleep deprivation along with calorie restriction. I honestly do not know what the events will be until I go through it. I will follow the code that they have you go by and not release any information about the course after I'm done.
Old 04-26-2012, 11:09 AM   #12
Steven Low

Profile:

Sounds pretty brutal.

Definitely start training sand bag carries and rucking now to prepare yourself for that...
Old 04-27-2012, 11:31 AM   #13
Bill M. Hesse

Profile:

I would focus on strength twice a week have a bodyweight run day and an endurace ruck day. You want your whole backside strong for rucking for pressing I would say pushups (with resistance if you want) and being able to move 70-80lbs overhead pretty efficiently are good enough for your purposes. Row for dear life and squat a lot. Deadlifts will help and volume is good to train for. You won't see optimal performance results by doing several things, but at SFAS you are going to be doing several things and doubtful that working the barbell will the most important. Focus on upping maximal strength and increasing work capacity with something like long rucks and Steven's bodyweight progression and you ought to be set. If you are rucking at the pace you need to running should be a cinche.
Old 05-05-2012, 05:47 AM   #14
Bob Herald

Profile:

GSLP or 5/3/1 with BBB accessory . It's gotten me huuge. GSLP I gained straight size but my strength wasn't as good. 5/3/1 gained some size and strength.

You're gonna have to drop all the metcons and do only light conditioning 2 days a week, if you want to see results. You can always get reconditioned later.

Think if it this way. During conditioning you are burning calories that should be used to grow muscle tissue.

Doing these programs I went from 200 lbs to 212 lbs. without gaing much if any fat.im a fan of long walks every day, to shore up any fat that might try to creep on

I'm sure a little of my gain is water, and it doesn't sound like much, but even gaining 5 lbs of muscle is a drastic noticeable difference.
Old 05-05-2012, 05:51 AM   #15
Bob Herald

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Bohn View Post
Eric I been following the barbell for skinny bastards part 3 in addition to oly lifting snatch and C&J every 3 days then one off.

The program I'm inquiring about is Military Athlete's Hypertrophy program for skinny guys. Are they the same thing? Who has it or follows this program? Is it worth $40 for an E Book.

I have been adding oatmeal to my breakfast since Monday w/cinnamon and sliced almonds. They do have rice here at lunch and dinner sometimes. I had a few white potatoes with the beef stew they served this evening. I hit another 1RM 130kg on HBBS but the form was pretty awful, my hips raised first then I got the drive from legs once I was my hip was parallel with my knees. I've been squatting A2G, maybe I shouldn't. I feel as though if I work my body through that range of motion it would benefit me more. They haven't had any sweet potatoes since I been here.

Steven I bit the bullet and purchase your book. I hope it has progression workouts in the book to follow. I also have Coach Sommer's book as well. I maxed out at 20 full dead hang chinups yesterday. So how often should I jump on my rings just on upper body days? I do 150 pushups everyday in the morning.

My goal is to pass SFAS when I get back to JBER, Alaska in December.
Every time I see someone on a powerlifting program restricting carbs, I cringe. There's a lot of that going on here. Do power lifters restrict carbs ? No. So if your going to, dont do their program.

Is statement wasn't meant to be harsh towards you OP.
Old 05-05-2012, 07:37 AM   #16
Dave Traeger

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Herald View Post
Every time I see someone on a powerlifting program restricting carbs, I cringe. There's a lot of that going on here. Do power lifters restrict carbs ? No. So if your going to, dont do their program.

Is statement wasn't meant to be harsh towards you OP.
Because people are carbophobic
Old 05-06-2012, 03:48 AM   #17
Robert Bohn

Profile:

Hey Bob I've been picking up my carb intake to include potatoes, bread and pasta but still stay away from cake and brownies. I was taking in only about 1500-2000kcal for to long. I taking in more milk, protein shakes and carbs to hopefully reach 3000-35000kcal a day. What's the best website to add your calories on? What's 5/3/1 with BBB accessory? I have a copy of 5/3/1 already and I'm back on the 1st week of 5's. I still work 3 days on and one day off. Any arguments over not resting a day before lifts. My body feels fine, I'm actually resting today. I plan on doing 10-15 mins on the foam roller and stretch. Is there another way to follow the GSLP program without purchasing the book any excel programs? I should have just looked at the posts and found that excel 5-3-1 calculator and just stuck to that rather then buying the ebook but $20 not so bad. I've had the book probably for about 18 months and will definitely follow it through it's entirety this time.

Hopefully rucking three times a week won't be to much conditioning because I have to put miles on my feet to toughen up.
Old 05-06-2012, 12:36 PM   #18
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

3000-3500 calories is not a lot for a skinny guy trying to get unskinny on a strength program. I'm not trying to gain and I'm typically at that calories count by 1pm most days. Just eat more, all the time, and don't waste time trying to add them up. That's time that could be better spent by preparing and eating food.

531 with BBB should be outlined in the e-book if you got the 2nd edition. It's the "boring but big" template, something like 5 sets of 10 reps at 50% of your working 1RM following the main work sets each day. But that's off the top of my head so don't quote me on it.

If you're already doing 531 don't even consider jumping to GSLP. Switching programs on a whim is a good way to ensure you never see any serious gains.

On 531 I highly recommend not training three days in a row. I remember seeing somewhere in the e-book that he recommends a M/Tu/Th/F template if you're lifting 4x per week, so if you're trying to beat the system by going 3/1 I'd say you're more likely to run yourself into the ground before too long.
Old 05-07-2012, 10:37 AM   #19
Andrew N. Casey

Profile:

today is monday. if i were you i would take the rest of this week to relax a little and reset, let your body get rested, and get your mind straight. workout a little but take it easy. use your time to read and understand the GSLP program, take a look at CFFB, etc. Go ahead and write out your programming for the next few weeks. get it in your mind what you are going to do. I think GSLP would be a little better for hypertrophy. you can look here for everything you need to know:

http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=68627 (WFS)

and the other link i sent you in the PM...

completely take the two days before the new program off. then start strong next week with whatever you decide on. you will be fresh, mentally and physically. scrap the 3/1 thing for now. more is not better when trying to get bigger and stronger. workout 3 or 4 days a week and take the other days for full rest days. do this for 2 or 3 months, then for months 3 to 5, slowly add back in the extra conditioning as the gains start to slow. that leaves you plenty of time to go back to a program like your current one where you can just maintain your strength and size while getting in lots of conditionting. no need to start trying to toughen up your feet. if you do the MA ruck selection training program starting 10 weeks our from SFAS you will be fine. be sure to take a full week or two off before SFAS to be totally recovered and fresh. eat like a king and go in a few pounds heavy because you will get broken down and lose weight fast enough while there. anyway, i gots to run, will holler back later.
Old 05-16-2012, 04:01 AM   #20
Robert Bohn

Profile:

I did Operator Ugly RxD this morning by myself. I had a couple of dudes flake on me at the last minute. I scored a 119 and passed the 25lb three mile run n 27:49. It took me roughly 50mins before I started the run. According to MA's scoring it's a good score. I'm 148lbs. I plan on retaking in 3 months. The 80lb sandbag get ups were hard!
BP-14
FS-12
DL-15
Sprints-42
Strict Dead Hang Pullups-21
SBGU-30/2= 15

Total 119