CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 05-03-2012, 07:35 AM   #1
Adam Curtis

Profile:
Exclamation HELP: Shoulder Injury while Deadlifting possible Labral Tear

Let me Start off and say I'm new to the discussion board, but not new to Crossfit.

A week ago I was doing heavy deads and I mixed my grip and pulled, but I think I either tried pulling the weight up with my arms, or my arms weren't locked out and my legs jerked them into it.... either way it hurt the back of my left shoulder(the left side was the forward/mixed side). The area is right behind my armpit... it's sore to the touch. I suspect a Labral tear...

I've been taking meloxicam and icing it but it still feels weird... when handling a steering wheel or just simple articulations...

Something interesting: While doing back squat(low-bar position) I had no pain while standing, but as soon as I got to 45 degrees and lower I felt immense pain directly in the spot of the injury... I know the bar is laying accross that area, but I didn't expect that.

Is there any chance that this is just a muscle injury? Can I just train with pain until I get the MRI, or should I avoid the pain and do circuit training If these symptoms sound familiar or if you've delt with this, then I would like some opinions.

I'm 25 yrs old btw... I consider myself fit.
Old 05-03-2012, 07:37 PM   #2
Sean Rockett

Profile:
Re: HELP: Shoulder Injury while Deadlifting possible Labral Tear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Curtis View Post
Let me Start off and say I'm new to the discussion board, but not new to Crossfit.

A week ago I was doing heavy deads and I mixed my grip and pulled, but I think I either tried pulling the weight up with my arms, or my arms weren't locked out and my legs jerked them into it.... either way it hurt the back of my left shoulder(the left side was the forward/mixed side). The area is right behind my armpit... it's sore to the touch. I suspect a Labral tear...

I've been taking meloxicam and icing it but it still feels weird... when handling a steering wheel or just simple articulations...

Something interesting: While doing back squat(low-bar position) I had no pain while standing, but as soon as I got to 45 degrees and lower I felt immense pain directly in the spot of the injury... I know the bar is laying accross that area, but I didn't expect that.

Is there any chance that this is just a muscle injury? Can I just train with pain until I get the MRI, or should I avoid the pain and do circuit training If these symptoms sound familiar or if you've delt with this, then I would like some opinions.

Could be muscle strain like infraspinatus which is in the back of the shoulder and can be injured with this mechanism. SLAP tears are usually felt more at the top of the shoulder or front, but again can sometimes be felt in the back. DO NOT train through pain. If it is strain it will get better, if it is SLAP tear and small enough it can quiet down on its own.
Old 05-04-2012, 03:32 PM   #3
Steven Low

Profile:

Why would you suspect a labral tear? As Sean said, that doesn't really make sense given the mechanism of injury (though it's certainly possibly.. it's not as likely as other things).

See an orthopedic doc so he can take a look at it man... don't try to diagnose your injury on your own.
Old 05-11-2012, 04:25 PM   #4
Gravel Brown

Profile:

The pain with my SLAP tear was very much in the front of the shoulder and deep within the joint. I felt no pain whatsoever in the rear of my shoulder.

Rest up and get it checked out asap mate. As mentioned above never train through pain, youll only make it worse.

Old 05-11-2012, 04:32 PM   #5
Richard Colon

Profile:

You have ALL of this...

Quote:
hurt the back of my left shoulder(the left side was the forward/mixed side).
Quote:
it still feels weird... when handling a steering wheel or just simple articulations...
Quote:
I felt immense pain
Yet you still ask this??

Quote:
Can I just train with pain
And consider this?

Quote:
do circuit training
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote:
I would like some opinions.
Sure, here is mine.

don't be THAT GUY. Focus on getting someone that knows a lot more than you (based on all the above quote examples, you are not qualified to determine for yourself) to figure out what is going on.

Quote:
Now you are fit and injured. Fit has nothing to do with it. You are nearing ego and man territory here. Don't be a jack@$$. You know better, use what you know.