CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 05-03-2012, 12:14 AM   #1
Richard Evans

Profile:
Weight fluctuation

Hi all

Am at last eating clean!! Albeitnot for long now.
My weight is fluctuating every day... Is this normal??

E.g.

Or... Are my scales poor quality?
Old 05-03-2012, 01:24 AM   #2
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:
Re: Weight fluctuation

Yes, fluctuation is normal. You can minimize it by weighing yourself at about the same time every day.

Katherine
Old 05-03-2012, 04:13 AM   #3
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

All the more reason to quit weighing yourself every day. Weight can fluctuate due to hydration, when you last ate or went to the bathroom, or simply by time of day.
Old 05-03-2012, 06:45 AM   #4
Dan Silva

Profile:

I was weighing myself once a week, wednesday morning before my workout. I stopped jumping on the scale with any regular basis when my weight went up a few pounds but I needed to go to the next hole on my belt buckle to keep my pants up. The mirror is the best scale of all.
Old 05-03-2012, 10:03 AM   #5
Brendan McNamar

Profile:

I'm not against weighting yourself as a reminder to continue to eat clean. This is what I suggest:

1) Wake up, use rest room, weight yourself. This will reduce a fair amount of the fluctuation.

2) Keep what is called a 7 day moving average. Weight yourself according to #1, 7 days in a row. On the 7th day add them all up and divide by 7. On the 8th day you drop your first days weight and include your 8th days weight and divide by 7. Every day you drop the oldest and add the newest. This will show you a fairly accurate average weight and if it is going up, down or staying the same.

Combine this with a tape measure of hips and waist and you should have a good idea what is going on.
Old 05-04-2012, 05:08 AM   #6
Mark E. Wallace

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Silva View Post
The mirror is the best scale of all.
I guess opinions differ on this, but personally I think the best scale of all is performance. All other things being equal (technique, strategy, etc...), if I can do something better today than I did a month ago, to me it means that I am more fit and conditioned.

I am heavier than I was a year ago and have an increased BF %. This would bother some folks, but it doesn't bother me. I am stronger, faster, and more skilled in most regards than I was a year ago, and areas where I have slipped a bit haven't slipped so far that they bother me much.

If all that I did to measure my progress was step on a scale or look in the mirror, I would (and *have* in the past) make bad decisions about what to eat and how to workout. For me, that has meant not eating enough, not eating the right things, and obsessing about weight/body-comp to the point where I overtrain, get injured, or lose muscle mass that I have worked hard to gain.

- Mark
Old 05-04-2012, 06:59 AM   #7
Dan Silva

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark E. Wallace View Post
I guess opinions differ on this, but personally I think the best scale of all is performance. All other things being equal (technique, strategy, etc...), if I can do something better today than I did a month ago, to me it means that I am more fit and conditioned.

I am heavier than I was a year ago and have an increased BF %. This would bother some folks, but it doesn't bother me. I am stronger, faster, and more skilled in most regards than I was a year ago, and areas where I have slipped a bit haven't slipped so far that they bother me much.

- Mark
I hear you...it's all relative to where you start. If I was heavier than a year ago then something would be wrong. But if you are trim already than adding the right weight is a great thing.
Performance is a great scale because it's the truth and looks can be deceiving. But they go hand in hand for the most part, the better my performance gets, the kinder the mirror is.
Old 05-04-2012, 03:03 PM   #8
Russ Hillis

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katherine Derbyshire View Post
Yes, fluctuation is normal. You can minimize it by weighing yourself at about the same time every day.

Katherine
And even then it can move up and down as much as 2-4 lbs. Better to weigh less frequently IMHO.
Old 05-08-2012, 09:50 AM   #9
Hollie Jacobs

Profile:

That's pretty normal. It happens.