CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 05-03-2012, 07:44 AM   #1
Garrett Hines

Profile:
AmI trying to do to much

hey faithful crossfitters, question out there about my goals.

I am a competitive triathlete and I want to compete in the crossfit games next year. Is that even possible? I am a strong type A personality so I am very competitive with myself and those I race.

During the teaching year I train crossfit 3 days a week and triathlon 3 days a week. During the summer when I am off I want to pull double days 3 days a week plus regular training the other three. My stats are:

5 foot 8
158# (goal to get to 165)
bench 3rm@165
squat 1rm@245

the rest of the major lifts I have not maxed yet and Im only on my 8th week of cf so i havent had a chance to do benchmarks like fran.

crossfit goals: increase muscle mass and power at weight 165, at minimum qualify for regionals (crossfit games are my mountain top goal)

tri goals: top 5 finisher in my age group in olympic (meaning the distance) races.

Are my goals reasonable or do I need to take a chill pill?
Old 05-03-2012, 08:05 AM   #2
William Hoke

Profile:
Re: AmI trying to do to much

Simply switch the first two words in the title and you have your answer..

I think trying to be the best in a triathalon and CrossFit is not something feasible. I'm pretty sure Coach was trying to prove this when he started CrossFit, that just because you are the best triathlete does not mean you are the best athlete across the ten areas of fitness. I'm sure someone else could explain it better.

I commend you for your goals and think you should not give up on them, but I think all the training will prove to much.

Good Luck!!
Old 05-03-2012, 09:32 AM   #3
Dustin Wintczak

Profile:

Take a look at this years regional workouts and look at where you're at compared to where you'd need to be to complete regional events

http://games.crossfit.com/workouts/regionals-individual

WFS

While I've got no doubt that you've got the motor for the endurance aspect I would imagine based on your stats that you would need to work on putting on mass and strength. Even at 165lbs you'd be on the slighter side (I'm the same height as you and almost 180lbs, but not a "big" guy).

I would say the minimum strength type numbers you'd be looking at to compete at the regional level would be like

BS 350'ish
C&J 250'ish
DL 400+
Snatch 200'ish

These are bottom end numbers, a lot of the top guys have a 400+ back squat, a 300+ C&J a 450+DL and snatch well over 200lbs. Along with being proficient at MU's, HSPU and having a motor to go along with it.

Not saying you can't but I would guess in order to get your strength numbers up enough to hang you'd have to stop the Triathlon training for a while to bulk up a bit. Just my 2 cents...good luck!
Old 05-03-2012, 09:54 AM   #4
Brendan McNamar

Profile:

Look at the size of the top 20 men and you will see you are way too light. That doesn't mean you can't train to compete it just means you won't be competitive.

You can not simultaneously train to specialize (triathlon) and prepare for CrossFit (increased work capacity across broad time and modal domains).

My experience as a gym owner is it is very difficult for distance runners or triathletes to make the switch. They just can't seem to cut back the mileage. I'm at the point where I believe for many it is some sort of physical addiction.

4 out of 5 of these individuals who join my gym quit to go back to running or triathlon training the first month.

Most likely you will be happiest if you simply dedicate yourself to one or the other.