CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 05-02-2012, 06:32 PM   #1
Aaron Wiggins

Profile:
'chipped tibia and torn minicus'

Im currently deployed in Afghanistan and I have a soldier who has expressed interest in starting Crossfit under my instruction, but has a chipped tibia and torn minicus in one of her legs. She's told me that doing the eliptical and bike are just about the only exercises that dont bother her too much. She said she can get about ten squats (with a small load) before the pain is just too much. Im already under the assumption that her form needs work, but I wanted to see what some good substitutions/stretches/things to stay away from before I start working with her and to get some advice on the safest way to work with her on this injury.

Thanks
Old 05-02-2012, 07:37 PM   #2
Sean Rockett

Profile:
Re: 'chipped tibia and torn minicus'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Wiggins View Post
Im currently deployed in Afghanistan and I have a soldier who has expressed interest in starting Crossfit under my instruction, but has a chipped tibia and torn minicus in one of her legs. She's told me that doing the eliptical and bike are just about the only exercises that dont bother her too much. She said she can get about ten squats (with a small load) before the pain is just too much. Im already under the assumption that her form needs work, but I wanted to see what some good substitutions/stretches/things to stay away from before I start working with her and to get some advice on the safest way to work with her on this injury.

Thanks
In this situation regarding a torn cartilage, it is best to avoid deep squats so she could modify so she does not have hips go below knees or any range that is comfortable. Stay away from pistols. Also twisting or pivoting usually sets off the pain. For lifting she can take the bar off a rack as opposed to from the ground. Not so sure what she means by chipped tibia, maybe she has an area of arthritis in her joint along the tibia. Step up boxes would be better, than jumping. Rowing should be OK if you have one. Kettlebells should be fine. Can do one legged jump rope or single unders usually. Type up any questions you have and thank you for your service. Sean
Old 05-02-2012, 11:30 PM   #3
Aaron Wiggins

Profile:
Re: 'chipped tibia and torn minicus'

Awesome! That actually gives me a really good jumping off point. As I work with her more Ill post more questions