CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Competitions
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Competitions Competitions, contests & challenges

Old 05-02-2012, 08:30 PM   #1
Jonny Slick

Profile:
131 Reps of _____

So I developed IT band syndrome 3 weeks ago after too much running on a slanted road and am no longer to compete in a charity half-marathon this upcoming weekend. The injury ONLY affects me when I'm running, but I'm still taking a break from squats, lunges, jumping, etc. Even though I can't run, I've been able to raise a lot of money for the Cystic Fibrosis foundation through donations. I feel a little guilty for not running with the foundation team though, so I decided to take on a grueling challenge in solidarity with the runners.

Since a half marathon is 13.1 miles long, I thought I'd do 131 reps of a classic Crossfit WOD. So my question is...what do you think would be a good idea?

135# Clean and Jerks (a triple Grace plus some)
115# Snatches (a lighter, much longer Isabel)
Burpee Pullups (a long GI Jane)
Muscle Ups
...a combo of all 4 (32 of each + 3 more burpee pullups)?

I'd love to hear what you all think...
Old 05-05-2012, 06:20 PM   #2
Dave Traeger

Profile:
Re: 131 Reps of _____

131 reps of anything isnt a very bright idea im sorry
Old 05-05-2012, 06:25 PM   #3
Steve Bray

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Traeger View Post
131 reps of anything isnt a very bright idea im sorry
i disagree.
|Deadlift 220kgs|Strict press 75kgs|squat 162.5kgs|pullups 67|477 double unders|26rounds cindy| 2:28 Fran|6:08 annie|12 rnd NATE|full snatch 95kg|C+J 110kg|
Old 05-05-2012, 08:37 PM   #4
Dave Traeger

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bray View Post
i disagree.
Enjoy your injuries
Old 05-05-2012, 08:54 PM   #5
Steve Bray

Profile:

there is nothing wrong with 131 reps of;
burpees
squats
pushups
pullups
lunges
double unders

things like that.

cindy, mary, GI jane all good workouts.
|Deadlift 220kgs|Strict press 75kgs|squat 162.5kgs|pullups 67|477 double unders|26rounds cindy| 2:28 Fran|6:08 annie|12 rnd NATE|full snatch 95kg|C+J 110kg|
Old 05-07-2012, 04:45 AM   #6
Harish Shetty

Profile:

Not a great idea to do such things when you have a injury.

unless u pick up movements which does not include your lower body.
Old 05-07-2012, 10:52 AM   #7
Mauricio Leal

Profile:

I Don't mean to nag on you as I don't know your whole story, but I was once an endurance/tri guy with all kinds of injury merit badges (IT bands, knees, hips, etc.), so I try to reach out to those who appear in similar straits...

I know it might not register because distances runners tend to measure everything via mileage/volume, but taking CrossFit benchmark WODs and doubling/tripling their length/volume/duration actually does not make them harder. In most cases it actually makes them easier, because you cannot sustain the intensity level of the original workout for twice/thrice the amount, so you end up pacing/sandbagging the whole thing, which defeats the purpose of the original workout.

If you want to do something grueling, try rolling out your IT Bands (amongst other things) twice a day for a month with a 4" PVC pipe, do your rehab exercises, and when you get better focus on making your technique immaculate, then hitting classic CrossFit WODs hard -- really hard -- so hard that you begin to question whether you really need to do all that extra stuff to get better. Take rest days, get stronger. Chances are your body will thank you for it immediately and definitely in the long run. Lifelong fitness is a marathon of relatively short sprints. A marathon of marathons can only last so long. Also, check out POSE Running, as IT Band Syndrome is a sure sign of a heel striker whose body has had enough. Good movement should not hurt. Good luck.

/rant
Old 05-07-2012, 10:52 AM   #8
Clint Harris

Profile:

fast walk the half marathon.
Old 05-09-2012, 11:45 AM   #9
Sean Smith

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonny Slick View Post
So my question is...what do you think would be a good idea?

135# Clean and Jerks (a triple Grace plus some)
115# Snatches (a lighter, much longer Isabel)
Burpee Pullups (a long GI Jane)
Muscle Ups
...a combo of all 4 (32 of each + 3 more burpee pullups)?

I'd love to hear what you all think...
No.
No.
Yes.
No.
Probably no.

Don't do anything involving deadlifts for 131 reps or something highly skilled where you fatigue quickly and can seriously hurt yourself in that state (muscle ups, handstand push ups).

How about 131 calories on the rower? That would be terrible.
Old 06-06-2012, 01:29 PM   #10
Jonny Slick

Profile:

Ended up doing Isabel (30 power snatch), Grace (30 C&J), 30 Muscle Ups, then 41 Burpee pullups. Took rest as needed and did the whole thing in 38min. No pain whatsoever and actually not that hard.

I'm definitely not an endurance guy, which is why I ran into this injury. I took up my mileage too quickly for the race. Never ran any race longer than a 5K and don't care to either (I was going to do this half as a fundraiser)
I've been foam rolling 3x a day and using a barbell to roll it out at least once a day. I ice 2-3x a day and perform IT band stretches throughout the day as well. I can run 1min, walk 1min on and off without pain, but as soon as I run 2 or more minutes, I start to feel it again.
I visited my ortho who did an x-ray that showed a bump on my femur that seems to be rubbing against the inflamed band. She said I could still squat, deadlift, row, bike, and anything else as long as it didn't hurt, but back off running until it heals. I haven't run since the second week of April for more than 20min of light walking/jogging intervals, but it still bothered me when I ran today (I "test it out" once a week with a very short jog).

My schedule is 2 on 1 off 3 on 1 off, and I spend my rest days doing 30-45min of mobility so I'm getting plenty of rest. My programming allows for different muscle groups to recover after harder days, and I'm still making gains all over the place. Heck, I can even run sideways, crossover step, backwards, diagonal, and jump with zero pain. It's just running forward for more than 2 minutes that does it. I run barefoot when I can and even when wearing shoes I'm not a heel striker.