CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 05-01-2012, 05:42 PM   #11
Scott McIntyre

Profile:
Re: Chicken or the egg......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noah Drew View Post
I hope so. So are you saying you have 1 more week till you find out or you have 3-4 weeks till you know?
1 more week...3-4 weeks from the day you apply. Ill keep you in the loop as to when Im contacted.
Old 05-01-2012, 06:21 PM   #12
Noah Drew

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott McIntyre View Post
1 more week...3-4 weeks from the day you apply. Ill keep you in the loop as to when Im contacted.
Look forward to it!
Old 05-02-2012, 08:24 AM   #13
Brendan McNamar

Profile:

I will reaffirm get clear with the City first.

In my case the City originally was talking about making me hire an architect to do drawing for my occupancy permit (on an empty warehouse). This was going to cost a lot more then the space I wanted to rent.

I contacted the Economic Development Office small business representative and she help me get through the Occupancy Permit process using my own drawings. Needless to say this save a lot of money.

It is important to keep the total cost in mind at all times. You might have the best location ever, or a great lease but if your going to have to spend thousands or tens of thousands of dollars to open legally it really isn't a good deal.

In my case I eased up on how hard I was negotiating my lease and gave the landlord a little extra rent because my permitting process was going to cost so little. I almost lost the lease pushing too hard then I realized it would be a big mistake if I had to turn around and spend a lot more to get permits for a different building.

Always think about the big picture.

Your comment about worrying about losing the location sounds an awful lot like the kind of thinking that got everyone in trouble in the housing market. Be very careful.

"If I don't buy this house today (someone else will or I won't be able to afford it later or I will miss out on the profit my friends and neighbors are making so on and so on). This is how so many normal risk adverse people all went off the housing cliff together.

It appears the same thing is happening when it comes to CrossFit gyms.

Mark my words watch your cost carefully!

Good luck.
Old 05-02-2012, 09:25 AM   #14
Noah Drew

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendan McNamar View Post
I will reaffirm get clear with the City first.

In my case the City originally was talking about making me hire an architect to do drawing for my occupancy permit (on an empty warehouse). This was going to cost a lot more then the space I wanted to rent.

I contacted the Economic Development Office small business representative and she help me get through the Occupancy Permit process using my own drawings. Needless to say this save a lot of money.

It is important to keep the total cost in mind at all times. You might have the best location ever, or a great lease but if your going to have to spend thousands or tens of thousands of dollars to open legally it really isn't a good deal.

In my case I eased up on how hard I was negotiating my lease and gave the landlord a little extra rent because my permitting process was going to cost so little. I almost lost the lease pushing too hard then I realized it would be a big mistake if I had to turn around and spend a lot more to get permits for a different building.

Always think about the big picture.

Your comment about worrying about losing the location sounds an awful lot like the kind of thinking that got everyone in trouble in the housing market. Be very careful.

"If I don't buy this house today (someone else will or I won't be able to afford it later or I will miss out on the profit my friends and neighbors are making so on and so on). This is how so many normal risk adverse people all went off the housing cliff together.

It appears the same thing is happening when it comes to CrossFit gyms.

Mark my words watch your cost carefully!

Good luck.
That's great advise! I was just talking to my wife last night about this same thing. I have to regularly tell myself to relax and realize it will all work out in time. It's just a matter of time and I have to be patient.

Thank you again for the feedback!
Old 05-07-2012, 06:15 PM   #15
Scott McIntyre

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noah Drew View Post
Look forward to it!
Got my application approval email tonight! 3 days under 4 weeks.
Old 05-12-2012, 02:29 PM   #16
Noah Drew

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott McIntyre View Post
Got my application approval email tonight! 3 days under 4 weeks.
Me too. I also signed a lease. The city still hasnt approved me but I have a clause in my lease that allows me to break it with no penalty at 60 days. So fingers crossed I'll be up and running with out having to shut down in 60 days.