CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 05-01-2012, 05:42 PM   #11
Scott McIntyre
Affiliate Scott McIntyre is offline
 
Scott McIntyre's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Sydney River  NS Canada
Posts: 240
Re: Chicken or the egg......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noah Drew View Post
I hope so. So are you saying you have 1 more week till you find out or you have 3-4 weeks till you know?
1 more week...3-4 weeks from the day you apply. Ill keep you in the loop as to when Im contacted.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 06:21 PM   #12
Noah Drew
Member Noah Drew is offline
 
Noah Drew's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Aliso Viejo  CA
Posts: 59
Re: Chicken or the egg......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott McIntyre View Post
1 more week...3-4 weeks from the day you apply. Ill keep you in the loop as to when Im contacted.
Look forward to it!
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 08:24 AM   #13
Brendan McNamar
Affiliate Brendan McNamar is offline
 
Brendan McNamar's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Glendale  AZ
Posts: 2,111
Re: Chicken or the egg......

I will reaffirm get clear with the City first.

In my case the City originally was talking about making me hire an architect to do drawing for my occupancy permit (on an empty warehouse). This was going to cost a lot more then the space I wanted to rent.

I contacted the Economic Development Office small business representative and she help me get through the Occupancy Permit process using my own drawings. Needless to say this save a lot of money.

It is important to keep the total cost in mind at all times. You might have the best location ever, or a great lease but if your going to have to spend thousands or tens of thousands of dollars to open legally it really isn't a good deal.

In my case I eased up on how hard I was negotiating my lease and gave the landlord a little extra rent because my permitting process was going to cost so little. I almost lost the lease pushing too hard then I realized it would be a big mistake if I had to turn around and spend a lot more to get permits for a different building.

Always think about the big picture.

Your comment about worrying about losing the location sounds an awful lot like the kind of thinking that got everyone in trouble in the housing market. Be very careful.

"If I don't buy this house today (someone else will or I won't be able to afford it later or I will miss out on the profit my friends and neighbors are making so on and so on). This is how so many normal risk adverse people all went off the housing cliff together.

It appears the same thing is happening when it comes to CrossFit gyms.

Mark my words watch your cost carefully!

Good luck.
__________________
Nomadic CrossFit coach, Masters Competitor
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 09:25 AM   #14
Noah Drew
Member Noah Drew is offline
 
Noah Drew's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Aliso Viejo  CA
Posts: 59
Re: Chicken or the egg......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendan McNamar View Post
I will reaffirm get clear with the City first.

In my case the City originally was talking about making me hire an architect to do drawing for my occupancy permit (on an empty warehouse). This was going to cost a lot more then the space I wanted to rent.

I contacted the Economic Development Office small business representative and she help me get through the Occupancy Permit process using my own drawings. Needless to say this save a lot of money.

It is important to keep the total cost in mind at all times. You might have the best location ever, or a great lease but if your going to have to spend thousands or tens of thousands of dollars to open legally it really isn't a good deal.

In my case I eased up on how hard I was negotiating my lease and gave the landlord a little extra rent because my permitting process was going to cost so little. I almost lost the lease pushing too hard then I realized it would be a big mistake if I had to turn around and spend a lot more to get permits for a different building.

Always think about the big picture.

Your comment about worrying about losing the location sounds an awful lot like the kind of thinking that got everyone in trouble in the housing market. Be very careful.

"If I don't buy this house today (someone else will or I won't be able to afford it later or I will miss out on the profit my friends and neighbors are making so on and so on). This is how so many normal risk adverse people all went off the housing cliff together.

It appears the same thing is happening when it comes to CrossFit gyms.

Mark my words watch your cost carefully!

Good luck.
That's great advise! I was just talking to my wife last night about this same thing. I have to regularly tell myself to relax and realize it will all work out in time. It's just a matter of time and I have to be patient.

Thank you again for the feedback!
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 06:15 PM   #15
Scott McIntyre
Affiliate Scott McIntyre is offline
 
Scott McIntyre's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Sydney River  NS Canada
Posts: 240
Re: Chicken or the egg......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noah Drew View Post
Look forward to it!
Got my application approval email tonight! 3 days under 4 weeks.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 02:29 PM   #16
Noah Drew
Member Noah Drew is offline
 
Noah Drew's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Aliso Viejo  CA
Posts: 59
Re: Chicken or the egg......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott McIntyre View Post
Got my application approval email tonight! 3 days under 4 weeks.
Me too. I also signed a lease. The city still hasnt approved me but I have a clause in my lease that allows me to break it with no penalty at 60 days. So fingers crossed I'll be up and running with out having to shut down in 60 days.
  Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Egg debate Dan Mandini Nutrition 24 07-12-2011 06:49 PM
Egg-less Breakfast Neal Dudash Nutrition 10 05-11-2011 06:15 PM
Egg whites Katherine Derbyshire Nutrition 11 05-06-2010 04:16 PM
Egg Whites Franz Zeidler Nutrition 8 03-28-2007 06:11 PM
Egg whites Roy Nutrition 2 09-14-2003 05:05 AM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:44 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
CrossFit is a registered trademark of CrossFit Inc.