CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 04-30-2012, 09:04 AM   #31
Aku Pöllänen

Profile:
Re: Feeling weak.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris T Johnson View Post
I wanted to know what I could eat that would benefit my "programming"
Ok well atleast i didnt know this was all about food, but there are couple things i can recommend.

First of all you didnt mention eating any fruits? Fruits consist lots of vitamins and if youre not eating any i would atleast recommend buying some vitamin supplement. Secondly you could still increase the amount of protein.

Im not also sure how much good fats are you getting. You should try eating some nuts. Natursl nuts consist good fats and protein. 1-2 handfuls per day is quite good amount.

For the weak feeling you could also try kreatin.
Old 04-30-2012, 09:16 AM   #32
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Quote:
People answered that: more. Lots more.

Katherine
Old 04-30-2012, 10:01 AM   #33
Richard Colon

Profile:

Quote:
If the program ISN'T beneficial to you, then what difference is the food going to make? Great food won't help ****ty programming and great programming won't overcome ****ty food (although I'd give more substance to the "Eat blah, train like a beast" part).

Its like a seriously ugly person asking what make-up is beneficial. You're still ugly.

Outstanding programming seriously considers rest and recovery. Whether it is knowing when to back off, when to go 100%, when to leave something in the tank, periodization, deload weeks, heavy sessions, active recovery - whatever. If that isn't programmed well then the other aspects of recovery (sleep/nutrition) outside the gym won't help. Ever.
Old 04-30-2012, 11:01 AM   #34
Paulo Santos

Profile:

Quote:
Quote:
I understand that 3 hours is most of the time an overload. However, I lift because I like it. Im not huge or gigantic, but only 165# and 5'10. I most of the couples I do are for 3-4 sets. 2-3min of rest between each.I don't want to be benching twice my body weight or anything. I want to be able to control my body weight easily and have plenty of endurance. Im not trying to also imply that I do lifts for a complete 3 hours. After doing the sets, resting, a 15min break, warmup, and a cool down. I lift every rep as intense as I can. I have read and understood what you guys have said, but im not changing how long I workout. I will change how or what I do to prepare. No offense meant.
While I get the part about you enjoying working out, it is best to learn how to workout properly while you are still young. I'm 37 and I didn't have a clue up until about a year ago and I've been working out on and off since I was about 15. I made more progress in the last 6 months than before. I wish I knew back then what I know now, especially when I was in the military, where I pathetically weak. That's what everyone is trying to tell you.
Old 04-30-2012, 04:23 PM   #35
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

Quote:
Anabolic steroids, based on the volume you insist on doing.
Old 04-30-2012, 05:38 PM   #36
Dustin Wintczak

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Montgomery View Post
Anabolic steroids, based on the volume you insist on doing.
Lulz

OP-Seriously you've got no idea what you're doing. Face it. You said you've been "training" for 3 years and you said your happy with where you're at yet you just said you spent upwards of 3 hours trying to do 1 MU.

You posted asking for advice, people (who know more than you) are trying to tell you that your diet isn't so much the issue but your erratic, random and non-sensical training methods and you just say "meh, whatever"

I think what you're suffering from is referred to in the medical field as cranial-rectal inversion. It usually clears up on it's own by the time you hit your mid 20's however if you're going to boot camp that may also help expedite the healing process.

You need to find a program that combines S&C that was written by someone who knows (there are reasons why Exercise Physiology exists as a field of study) how to program for your goals. I know you're in highschool and this may be hard for you to grasp right now but listen to the people who are older and have more experience than you. You'll thank us all later. Good luck.
Old 05-02-2012, 06:16 AM   #37
Andrew N. Casey

Profile:

Chris, what are your current numbers? squat, bench, deadlift, press, pullups, etc? you say you run 2 miles, what is your time?

additionally, what are your goals? what do you want to do? why is it that you workout? what is the end result you would need to acheive to be happy? or is the working out itself and the enjoyment of it the goal?
Old 05-02-2012, 08:55 AM   #38
Evan Peikon

Profile:

Quote:
I understand that 3 hours is most of the time an overload. However, I lift because I like it. Im not huge or gigantic, but only 165# and 5'10. I most of the couples I do are for 3-4 sets. 2-3min of rest between each.I don't want to be benching twice my body weight or anything. I want to be able to control my body weight easily and have plenty of endurance. Im not trying to also imply that I do lifts for a complete 3 hours. After doing the sets, resting, a 15min break, warmup, and a cool down. I lift every rep as intense as I can. I have read and understood what you guys have said, but im not changing how long I workout. I will change how or what I do to prepare. No offense meant.
Ive trained with regional competitors in crossfit and none of them even do nearly that much volume...

if you insist on training everything every day and really won't consider dropping that you can try ''the outlaw way'' which is a program meant for crossfit games competitors and it has a 0-lifting, strength, and metcon portion on training days. Howver its 3 on / 1 off, 2 on/ 1 off. so you'd have to take two days off a week. That being said if you think you can recover while adding your own stuff in on the other days , DONT. if game competitors can't even recover well enough doing that you can't either.

And you training 3+ hours a day because you like it is flawed logic... I love practicing my gymnastics skills, and olympic lifts a few days a week but three hours is excessive. its gets to a point where you doing more harm than good.
but to put it into a non training perspective. i like watching tv, should i watch 3 hours a day? just because something is goof for you doesn't mean that more is better.
Old 05-02-2012, 12:33 PM   #39
Chris T Johnson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan Peikon View Post
Ive trained with regional competitors in crossfit and none of them even do nearly that much volume...

if you insist on training everything every day and really won't consider dropping that you can try ''the outlaw way'' which is a program meant for crossfit games competitors and it has a 0-lifting, strength, and metcon portion on training days. Howver its 3 on / 1 off, 2 on/ 1 off. so you'd have to take two days off a week. That being said if you think you can recover while adding your own stuff in on the other days , DONT. if game competitors can't even recover well enough doing that you can't either.

And you training 3+ hours a day because you like it is flawed logic... I love practicing my gymnastics skills, and olympic lifts a few days a week but three hours is excessive. its gets to a point where you doing more harm than good.
but to put it into a non training perspective. i like watching tv, should i watch 3 hours a day? just because something is goof for you doesn't mean that more is better.
Ok I understand that.
Old 05-02-2012, 12:37 PM   #40
Chris T Johnson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew N. Casey View Post
Chris, what are your current numbers? squat, bench, deadlift, press, pullups, etc? you say you run 2 miles, what is your time?

additionally, what are your goals? what do you want to do? why is it that you workout? what is the end result you would need to acheive to be happy? or is the working out itself and the enjoyment of it the goal?
Squat - 310
Bench - 205
Press - I rep 145... nvr maxed.
Pull-ups - 16-18 deadhang
2 mile run - 14:50 not a good runner

Goals? To be able to do as many muscle -ups as i can pull-ups, I just can't get the form right. Im trying to get my endurance up for marine basic, lots of push-ups and pull-ups. I workout as an escape from home and I enjoy it. End result? to see progress in my condition.