CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 04-06-2012, 08:19 PM   #11
Theo Tsekouras

Profile:
Re: opening a box IN GENERAL???? Please help!

I would suggest not making your first post on here about how to open a gym. Instead: CrossFit and learn. Post #2, which is a year later, "how do I become a coach at a box".
Old 04-07-2012, 07:46 AM   #12
Steve Loeding

Profile:

What everyone else said

Do you any coaching experience ? Do you have programming experience or will you follow someone else ? How are you going to get clients ? No biz experience at all ?

First, do not take out a loan for $50 K - start in your garage with family, friends, etc. Learn from your mistakes early while the cost is low. Go to a box in your area if there are any and ask to assist in coaching and ask for guidance.

In my opinion, it would be a huge mistake to plunk down a ton of money with very little idea of what you're actually doing - it's a recipe for failure.
Old 04-07-2012, 09:17 AM   #13
Brendan McNamar

Profile:

I will encourage you to go for it but with a humbler plan.

I started after basically going broke in my old business when the housing market self destructed in Phoenix, AZ. I had no formal experience in the fitness industry and opened on the opposite side of town from everyone I knew. I started very small out of my house.

I did get some help from my family but it was in the $5,000 range to buy equipment early on. I have needed help two more times because I needed to invest lumps of money I didn't have. I think about $13,000 more. So over 2 years I have used a total of $18,000 in outside financing. $8,000 of which (flooring, pull up rig and security deposit) is getting used right now to help us move into our new 2,400 square foot gym.

I owe the IRS back taxes from my old business and had an expensive injury. If it wasn't for these two issues the gym would have self funded after the first year.

What I did have going for me is my undergraduate degree is in accounting, I'm real good with numbers. I understood I need to keep my fixed cost very low so as not to burn through a bunch of cash I didn't have. I worked an additional job for the first year to help with cash flow.

A whole lot of people are going to lose a lot of money attempting to start big gyms with high overhead. A few people will hit home runs. Many of the gyms that do survive will have lousy returns on investments. The owners and investors would have been better of doing something different with the money.

Watch these 4 video's by Jon Gilson who owns Again Faster. He will explain things like fixed cost and over head. He knows what he is talking about. Anything in the videos you don't understand start researching and learning.

https://www.againfaster.com/en/blog/...iliate-part-1/

You can be the best CrossFit coach in the world but if the bank account hits zero and the rent or electric bill are not paid you are out of business and coaching no one.

Rule #1: Don't go broke!
Old 04-13-2012, 04:19 PM   #14
William La

Profile:

Hello. I have a 2500 sq ft space in long island city queens. any one interested in opening a gym with me?
Old 04-13-2012, 07:12 PM   #15
Brian Strump

Profile:

Did this just happen?

Quote:
Originally Posted by William La View Post
Hello. I have a 2500 sq ft space in long island city queens. any one interested in opening a gym with me?
Old 04-15-2012, 06:09 PM   #16
Andrew Crowe

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Strump View Post
Did this just happen?
Hahahahaha.. I think it did!
Old 04-30-2012, 08:51 AM   #17
Chris Sinagoga

Profile:

Hey Ryan, I'm in a similar situation. I'm 22 and a lot of this business stuff is new to me also. There is a lot of good information on this thread already, so I'll just add in from my experience.

So the number one thing that took me by suprise is the city's zoning regulations. Apparently whenever a building is made, it is placed into one of many zoning categories (residential, commercial, light industrial, heavy industrial, etc.) While you are looking for a spot, you should also be aware of what the building in question is zoned as.

The spot I am trying to get right now is perfect! But it is zoned as M-1 Light Industrial and the city does not allow for a "personal training studio" use of the facility without going through a special approval and special use permit. In order to do that, the building has to be brought up to code - and that's when we ran into problems like parking and bathrooms. The bathroom situation I'm in now is incredibly annoying, but that's another story.

So bottom line, I would find the zoning regulations for the city you would like to open in - in addition to all of the previous words of wisdom. Hope that helps a little.
Old 07-10-2012, 04:05 PM   #18
Alexis A Jaramillo

Profile:

Hi there! I am also seeking some business advice. I started my box Mt. Tabor CrossFit about 5 months ago. Myself and a friend were going to start it up 50/50 but due to personal reasons he was unable to commit. I decided that it would be rough (went over budget), but that I could do it myself. I have about 20 members, but need about 20 more soon to keep things running (meaning pay for my living needs) and make sure dues are met come next February. We are trying to get community involved, but I just don't know where to start. We are applying for a spot at our farmers market in the neighborhood and are participating in a local competition. Any suggestions on how to broaden awareness and drive business?
Old 07-10-2012, 05:23 PM   #19
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

Your current members should be your best marketing tools--if they're seeing results and enjoying what you're providing, you should be getting referrals. Have you looked at any incentives or other ways to encourage your members to bring more people into the gym?
Old 07-11-2012, 01:25 PM   #20
Brian Strump

Profile:

Not to be a d*ck, but others should read this and understand that while CFHQ may be a money making machine, putting up a sign that says CrossFit does not make a finely run business. So many people think it's so cool to own a gym.....while I agree 100%, it's still a business.

Whoever said love what you do, and you'll never work a day in your life.....probably went broke.

It's alot more than just buying equipment, and calling it CrossFit. Unfortunately, Alexis, you're not alone. Many others are making the same mistake with their affiliate. The 2 closest to use have recently lessened their class times, while we're trying to find another one to add.

Solely loving CrossFit, being a good coach, being good a CF, or being good at some business in the past does not mean you can run your affiliate efficiently, and make a good profit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexis A Jaramillo View Post
Hi there! I am also seeking some business advice. I started my box Mt. Tabor CrossFit about 5 months ago. Myself and a friend were going to start it up 50/50 but due to personal reasons he was unable to commit. I decided that it would be rough (went over budget), but that I could do it myself. I have about 20 members, but need about 20 more soon to keep things running (meaning pay for my living needs) and make sure dues are met come next February. We are trying to get community involved, but I just don't know where to start. We are applying for a spot at our farmers market in the neighborhood and are participating in a local competition. Any suggestions on how to broaden awareness and drive business?