CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 02-22-2012, 11:03 AM   #1
Herb Moran

Profile:
Question Total Knee Repalcement

Hi All: I've been doing Crossift (some modifications) for just over a year. I had a partial knee replacement four years ago, when I was 51 and it is holding up great. I'm having a full repalcement on the other knee next month. Anybody have expereince with Crossfit post a TKA? OK to continue, how long to get back, permananent modifactions? Any input is greatly appreciated.
Old 02-22-2012, 09:46 PM   #2
Sean Rockett

Profile:
Re: Total Knee Repalcement

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herb Moran View Post
Hi All: I've been doing Crossift (some modifications) for just over a year. I had a partial knee replacement four years ago, when I was 51 and it is holding up great. I'm having a full repalcement on the other knee next month. Anybody have expereince with Crossfit post a TKA? OK to continue, how long to get back, permananent modifactions? Any input is greatly appreciated.
The issue is the cushion between the metal or the polyethylene spacer. Studies show that it has a wear rate and the more active one is the quicker it will wear down. The american academy of orthopedic surgeons have come up with a list of recommendations for return to sports. Some say they are too stringent. The bottom line is people do return to sports and at what price we do not yet know how long the new materials will last ouside the lab.

www.orthopedicsne.com
Old 04-22-2012, 12:18 PM   #3
Karen Hayes

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herb Moran View Post
Hi Herb-
I had a knee replacement on Feb 8th,2012 and I would be happy to answer any questions you may have.
I am working out again and can do many of the WODS but, heavy weights and squatting, I am still working on. It can still be pretty painful even this many weeks out. Getting back a full enough range of motion is the hardest part of the recovery.
Old 04-23-2012, 08:23 PM   #4
Pete Nadeau

Profile:

I had a knee replacement on 2 April 2012 PAIN after the anesthesia wears off there are no words to describe it, but it does fade away. Getting back full range of motion so far is the hardest part of my recovery. No WOD’s yet, just physical therapy and lots of pull ups, Push-ups and sit-ups
Old 04-29-2012, 08:19 AM   #5
Karen Hayes

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Rockett View Post
The issue is the cushion between the metal or the polyethylene spacer. Studies show that it has a wear rate and the more active one is the quicker it will wear down. The american academy of orthopedic surgeons have come up with a list of recommendations for return to sports. Some say they are too stringent. The bottom line is people do return to sports and at what price we do not yet know how long the new materials will last ouside the lab.

www.orthopedicsne.com
I am 12 weeks out and I just started doing a little running again. So far so good, no pain. As Doctor Rocket said above, no one really knows how long the materials in the knee will last in real life situations. Of course I am hoping they last more than less but I guess I will see. I would prefer to do what I enjoy and take the consequences.
Old 04-29-2012, 03:54 PM   #6
Skip Chase

Profile:

I had a TKR of my left knee Oct 2008 and I just had my right knee replaced 13 days ago.

In 2008 I requested a Depuy rotational platform knee, giving me maximum flexion. I was very happy with the results and slowly rehabbed back to 'CrossFit condition', reestablishing new maxes on all my lifts.

I had a 'ream and run' shoulder replacement in Dec 2010 and also experienced a successful rehab.

I suffered through the open this year, due to chronic pain in my right knee, but I was happy with my performance. Immediately following the open, I now have my right knee replaced.

Thanks to CrossFit, my soft tissue is in excellent condition, and at 60, I expect to regain CrossFit strength and conditioning soon.

I will have my right shoulder replaced sometime June to August and hope to (God willing) have time to prepare for the 2013 open.

Last edited by Skip Chase : 04-29-2012 at 03:55 PM. Reason: error
Old 05-03-2012, 08:38 PM   #7
Greg Griffith

Profile:

I had a TKR also. Mine was just a little over 1 year ago.
I consider my ROM to be very good and it is largely a result of Crossfit.

I don't run or anything that requires much of a jumping motion (doctors advice) but can do most WODS and my knee feels really good.

There's getting to enough of us to do a Crossfit knee wear study.

It is very interesting to learn how folks are progressing in your recoveries and in Crossfit.

Greg Griffith
Old 05-10-2012, 10:31 AM   #8
Pete Nadeau

Profile:

I had a knee replacement on 2 April 2012: ROM as of last evaluation 0-145 and I can squat down to 90 degrees. PT daily; working on strength and ROM, and a modified WOD. Air squats with deliberate and controlled form feel okay. Yes Greg It would be very interesting to see how people are progressing in their recoveries and in Crossfit
Old 05-10-2012, 02:21 PM   #9
Karen Hayes

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Nadeau View Post
I had a knee replacement on 2 April 2012: ROM as of last evaluation 0-145 and I can squat down to 90 degrees. PT daily; working on strength and ROM, and a modified WOD. Air squats with deliberate and controlled form feel okay. Yes Greg It would be very interesting to see how people are progressing in their recoveries and in Crossfit

WOW! You have 145 ROM , I am very jealous! Any special hints you can give me to achieve that ROM so fast , I am only at 128.
Thank you,
Karen
Old 05-10-2012, 08:08 PM   #10
Pete Nadeau

Profile:

I’m a 54 year old retired Soldier, my surgery and therapy is done at a Military treatment facility (Army hospital). They have me following the protocols that a Soldier would. This is good because I work at a Detention Facility and must meet certain physical requirements and standards before I will be allowed to return to work. I’m using all of my sick and some of my vacation time, my motivation, the faster I recover the better for me.
I most likely do the same therapy as you? If not check the attached file
Therapy everyday (pain permitting): 2 times a week with the therapist. At home the rest of the week. Of all the exercises they have me doing; these two exercises I believe have helped me the most with ROM
Prone hangs 3 sets of 30 seconds 3 times a day, working up to now 3 sets of 5 minutes 3 times a day with weight
Heel slides; lying on my back using an assistance band around my ankle; I bring my foot as far as I can without the band then pull with the band till I feel pain, for 10 sets of 10 seconds, 3 times a day. Only you will know when to stop. “Use pain as your guide”
By June 24th
Discontinue supervised PT
Resume all recreational activities as tolerated
Encourage non-impact activities
Attached Files
File Type: pdf TKA WB08.pdf (59.1 KB, 183 views)

Last edited by Pete Nadeau : 05-10-2012 at 08:10 PM.