CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Testimonials
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Testimonials CrossFit's successes / your achievements

Old 04-27-2012, 07:08 AM   #1
Joe C Thomas

Profile:
2 years post ACL Surgery

I tore my ACL, MCL, and meniscus in the summer of 2009, and I thought my athletic pursuits were done. However, it's been 2 years and I've never felt better. Here's how I was before surgery:

Ht: 6'1"
Wt: 200
Deadlift 1RM: 305
Squat 3RM: 245
Press 3RM: 135
Bench 1RM: 225
5km race just before: 24:30
Half Marathon (Mobile, AL): 1:41 (all time PR)
Jumping: Snap the rim with one hand, that means finger tips

Currently
Ht: 6'1"
Wt: 200 (although I did get up to 215 after my surgery)
Deadlift 5RM: 300
Squat 5RM: 275
Press 5RM: 155
Bench 5RM: 225
5km race: 23:42
Half Marathon (Athens, GA): 1:51 (hardest course I've ever run, and lack of preparation)
Jumping: Hanging on the rim with both hands, and putting my wrist over the rim with one.

So, as you can tell, life has not only gotten back to normal, it has gotten better. I was also blessed with the greatest gift I've ever received, my baby girl Carolyn Ann and she has made me want to be a better man every day. I have played in basketball leagues, volleyball leagues, volleyball, triathlons, road races, and anything else I can think of.

To everyone out there currently sidelined due to injury, you can come back and be better than you were before! Granted, my numbers were be a whole lot better if I were more consistent but if an ADD guy like me can get there, so can you.

Good luck!

(He's my favorite!)

PS. I also hiked the Grand Canyon Rim to Rim with a 50 lbs pack last summer! Just sayin....
Old 04-27-2012, 09:53 AM   #2
Greg Light

Profile:
Re: 2 years post ACL Surgery

Awesome recovery!

I love threads like this as it helps people see that a significant injury isn't the end.

I had a torn meniscus removed in November. I waited almost 10 years to do it because I didnt want to be out of commission for any length of time or have any setbacks. Im already ahead of where I was pre surgery.

My advice to anyone ever putting off surgery is "just do it now" if you are ever going to do it.
Old 04-28-2012, 10:29 PM   #3
Scott Roberts

Profile:

Great to hear this! I am 5 weeks post op of an allograft ACL and a repaired Meniscus. I get to start walking in 9 days (6 weeks post op) and can't wait to get back to the gym.

I sure was tired of hearing numerous people throughout my city (when going around town post op) telling me that I would never be the same.

Then I realized most of these people by the looks of it probably lead a very docile life before the surgery and probably didn't have the Crossfit drive before hand.

It is good to know that a healthy and active person can come back from a surgery and be as good as new! Thanks for the update it is really nice to know that I can come back and even stronger.
Old 05-09-2012, 06:44 PM   #4
Hollie Jacobs

Profile:

That's awesome! It always amazes me how people can really come full circle even after going through a painful injury. Good job!

Having a torn ACL can be a killer!