CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 04-25-2012, 01:10 PM   #1
Alex Beasley

Profile:
What shoe to get?

I'm moving away from wearing my Olympic shoes since, to be honest, they seem to be more and more of an annoyance than anything. My shoulders can cope with a low bar squat bar position, so I no longer desperately need the heel to help me out with high bar squats. I also found that my deadlift was ruined when wearing Oly shoes, and I can clean just fine without them on too...in other words, I don't need them.

As it is I could just lift in a pair of shoes I have which are practically identical to these, but I also like to jump rope quite a lot and I'm worried about hurting myself using something as basic as a pair of plimsolls.

Do I need to get a different pair of shoes that I can lift/skip in? If so, what do you recommend? Thanks.
Old 04-25-2012, 09:32 PM   #2
Robert Fabsik

Profile:
Re: What shoe to get?

I like Adidas Sambas or the New Balance Minimus's.
Old 04-26-2012, 06:58 AM   #3
Alex Beasley

Profile:

Is there a need for me to buy new shoes, really, is what I'm asking. The plimsolls are alright, my only concern is that jump rope may hurt my knees is all, so if that's a genuine problem I'd buy something new.

I'd love to get some of the Nanos...those bad boys look pretty cool, shame they cost so much though!
Old 04-26-2012, 11:32 AM   #4
Clint Harris

Profile:

Lots of people crossfit in just bare feet (except perhaps rope climb day). No shoes, no shirt, no service does not apply here. Wear the shoes and if they suck, try something else or nothing at all.
And don't worry about the wire jump rope with bare feet - it's simply an opportunity to get better and only hurts for a second or 2.
Personally, I like the NB Minumus MT10 for every aspect of crossfit. Jumping, running, lifting, squatting, climbing everything. Even wear them to work. I do like the lifting shoes for OHS though.
Old 04-26-2012, 03:57 PM   #5
Brent E Harsch

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clint Harris View Post
Lots of people crossfit in just bare feet (except perhaps rope climb day). No shoes, no shirt, no service does not apply here. Wear the shoes and if they suck, try something else or nothing at all.
And don't worry about the wire jump rope with bare feet - it's simply an opportunity to get better and only hurts for a second or 2.
Personally, I like the NB Minumus MT10 for every aspect of crossfit. Jumping, running, lifting, squatting, climbing everything. Even wear them to work. I do like the lifting shoes for OHS though.
That's the same ones I wear and I agree. Even a few weeks ago I played basketball in them and b/c there's no raised sole I wasn't even worried about rolling my ankles.

I am however looking into purchasing the MT20's since I could probably use a new pair.
34/m/5'10"/215lbs/BF%UNK PR's CFT 785#/DL 375#/1Mile Run 6:21/2km Row 7:56/10K 1:00:52/400M 1:17/Accomplishments Burpee Mile
Old 04-26-2012, 05:55 PM   #6
Michael McCoy.

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Beasley View Post
Is there a need for me to buy new shoes, really, is what I'm asking. The plimsolls are alright, my only concern is that jump rope may hurt my knees is all, so if that's a genuine problem I'd buy something new.

I'd love to get some of the Nanos...those bad boys look pretty cool, shame they cost so much though!
I used to always squat in my Rogue Do-Wins but thought I should just get used to squatting heavy with the shoes I would wear if I was competing or doing a WOD in. So now I either use my Vibram FiveFingers or NB Minimus and it made no difference in my poundages.

If your interested in the Reebok CrossFit Nano's, one of our writers, Cookie purchased not one but two pairs of them in red and yellow a while back and just wrote a full review for our website.

Long and short of it he loves them for CrossFit and when I asked him if I should get myself pair he game me the thumbs up.

If you want to read his full review I pasted it below. Otherwise I think they are good enough to pull the trigger on and purchase.

http://www.therxreview.com/review-reebok-crossfit-nano/ (WFS)

Cheers Michael

Full Disclosure: that link is for a website I run.
Old 04-26-2012, 08:19 PM   #7
Clint Harris

Profile:

Brent, I have two pair. The smelly banged up pair to workout in, and the not so smelly or banged up pair for everything else. I have the toe shoes and merrels, and the true linkswear golf shoes, but hands down those NB are my favourite and the go-tos. Looking to get a 3rd pair too - may take a look at the 0 drop version. I'm also interested in some runners - NB have a 730 model that also looks interesting.
/shoe nerd
Old 04-27-2012, 04:02 AM   #8
Alex Beasley

Profile:

Thanks for the review link, and all the posts so far, appreciate em. I'd love to get a pair of CF nanos in all fairness. I've taken a look around, and the Inov-8 210s don't seem too bad either. I'd prefer the Nanos, personally, just based on aesthetic appeal.

Between the two, which would you recommend going for?
Old 04-27-2012, 06:57 AM   #9
Joey Shishineh

Profile:

did you try the search function?

NB minimus MT20s are good. Inov8 F-lite 230s also.
m/28/5'8"/160|BS 330|SP 175|DL 410|Snatch 205|CJ 245|Diane 2:26|Fran 2:23|Isabel 2:59| WOD Journal|Team Diesel - Regionals 2013|
Old 04-27-2012, 07:03 AM   #10
Andrew Bell

Profile:

I like the new Nike Haven 3.0's.
http://nikeinc.com/news/introducing-the-nike-free-haven (wfs)

Then again I also like a new sample from Reebok sitting on my desk of a shoe that will make it's debut around July.