CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Stuff and Nonsense
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Stuff and Nonsense For off-topic chatter. Keep it PG-13; no sex, politics or religion!

Old 04-25-2012, 02:34 PM   #1
Tuomas Hanhikangas

Profile:
Travel tips/hints needed..

Hello all Crossfitters from Finland.

Me and my wife are planning to do a sort of road trip in east coast of US in next June-July. We will fly to Boston 19th June and our aim is to rent a car and drive around and three weeks. We´ll fly back to Finland 10th July.

Any suggestions what to do, where to visit and so on? We haven´t been in eastern part of US ever, only in California and Florida. Boston, Niagara Falls, Washington and New York are on our list, but what else? Where to stay cheap and cosy? We both like are keen Crossfitters, any good boxes to visit there?

Thanks in advance, and keep up training!
Old 04-26-2012, 06:40 AM   #2
Mike Watson

Profile:
Re: Travel tips/hints needed..

Being from the Philadelphia area I have to tell you to go to Philly for a few days.
Old 04-26-2012, 09:45 AM   #3
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Go see a game at Fenway Park (Boston) or Yankee Stadium (New York). Even if you're not especially a baseball fan, both are great cultural experiences: huge numbers of very loyal, very knowledgeable fans. Ideal would be a Red Sox vs. Yankees game at either park, but good luck getting tickets.

I personally love Independence Day (July 4th) in Boston, which is a big all-day party on the Esplanade (large riverfront park). But lots of people like the celebrations in New York and Washington, too.

See a show on Broadway and hang out in Times Square for a while. Again, a great cultural experience regardless of your interest in theater. (Pro tip: go to the big orange TKTS booth in Times Square and see whatever has a good deal going that day. Paying full price in advance is for suckers.)

If you're interested in art, all the east coast cities have world class museums. It would be worthwhile to see what exhibits are on while you're there.

I don't personally care for Washington, DC as a city, but the National Mall is a must see.

That's a beautiful time of year to see the more rural parts of the Northeast, too. Pretty much anywhere outside the big cities will be nice, but highlights include the Adirondack Preserve in New York state (largest surviving old growth forest in the East), the Maine coast, the central NY Finger Lakes, Amish country in south central Pennsylvania, and the Berkshire hills in Massachusetts.

For lower priced lodging, look for bed and breakfasts, especially in New England. There are tons of big old farmhouses that have been converted to inns.

Enjoy!

Katherine

Last edited by Katherine Derbyshire : 04-26-2012 at 09:51 AM.
Old 04-26-2012, 12:52 PM   #4
Tuomas Hanhikangas

Profile:

Hmm, baseball game might be interesting to see. We thought that Independence Day would be great to spent in Washington, I read from somewhere that there are big celebrations at that day. Philly is going to be one city, got to run those stairs up like one Rocky B
And off course, New York is one "must to see" city.
Lots to see and so little time, unfortunately.
Old 04-26-2012, 09:34 PM   #5
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

One more thing... For Niagara Falls, the best view is actually from the Canadian side. Crossing the border shouldn't be a big deal, but best to know it's there.

Katherine
Old 04-27-2012, 05:51 AM   #6
Ryan Baker

Profile:

Get out of the cities. In VA take Skyline Drive through the Shenandoah National Park. It will let you see some of the beautiful side of VA and it isn't too far outside of DC.
Old 04-28-2012, 05:42 AM   #7
David Alexander

Profile:

In Boston, check out Faneuil Hall, there's like 100 places to eat there.
Old 05-03-2012, 11:52 AM   #8
Richard Joy

Profile:

Washington DC has a huge celebration on July 4th. It's probably worth looking into. Also, the Smithsonian museums are worth a visit (and free). If you'd like to see one of the space shuttles, the Smithsonian's Udvar-Hazy center by Washington-Dulles airport has one, along with a lot of cool planes (including an SR-71 blackbird).
Old 05-03-2012, 03:58 PM   #9
Kevin Bowman

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Alexander View Post
I would plan a day or so in Boston - Freedom Trail, Paul Revere, Sam Adams, etc.
Decent history there.

I plan to go back just for sightseeing.

Old 05-09-2012, 06:38 PM   #10
Hollie Jacobs

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Alexander View Post
Awesome place for a food trip!