CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Digital Coaching
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Coaching Post pictures or movies for critique and coaching

Old 04-25-2012, 07:55 PM   #1
Daniel Frankel

Profile:
Looking for some C&J critique

Hey all,

This was me working upto a max C&J today, and then a max Clean.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6k0Ho_qlIro (WFS)

I think 165 looked the best, and both that and 175 i was able to "sweep the bar back" . However, I think i had trouble fniishing the second pull and hitting triple extension on some reps. I know I pressed out the last two, but does anyone have any advice for me? I think I have to get under the bar more into a deeper lunge for the split. Also, that was my current clean PR.

Thanks all, Daniel
Old 04-25-2012, 08:24 PM   #2
Departed-OH

Profile:  
Re: Looking for some C&J critique

Nice cleans at the end. Awesome seeing you fight through them.

Your back angle changes during the first pull- I would start a little further over the bar, closer to the back angle that you finish the first pull with.
Old 04-25-2012, 08:47 PM   #3
John Kaupp

Profile:

Daniel,

all in all, not bad lifts.

Clean- Hips are rising slightly faster than the bar and shoulders. Work to have them coming up together. This is costing you speed through the middle of the lift and not allowing you to extend fully and forcefully. More speed through the middle.

Jerks- biggest thing is to be consistent. Don't think getting deeper, think longer with your lunge and be consistent. Also, your elbows as you start to dip are dropping. If you can get your elbows down while keeping the bar racked on the shoulders, do that before you start to dip and drive. On some reps you drop your elbows while dipping, then as you get heavier, you keep them up the whole time. Last thing, in your lighter reps on your jerks you recover with the front foot first and as it goes along you start to recover with the back foot first.
Old 04-25-2012, 10:28 PM   #4
Keith Miller

Profile:

Don't start the lift looking down!!! You lose your proud chest because of this. You fill your chest up, then because you're looking down, you lose it when you come off the floor. This is one reason why your hips shoot up first!!
Old 04-26-2012, 06:57 AM   #5
Jake Kozlowski

Profile:

Great looking lifts man. I've enjoyed watching your progress. Keep up the great work. You've got a long fitness 'career' ahead of you.
Old 04-26-2012, 08:41 AM   #6
Greg Light

Profile:

Nice work!

So great to see someone your age already doing this stuff. You have a great base that will serve you well as you get older. Now if I can just find a way to go back and start this stuff 10 years earlier than I did.....

Love the fight on the 205.
Old 04-26-2012, 10:36 AM   #7
Lincoln Brigham

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Miller View Post
Don't start the lift looking down!!! You lose your proud chest because of this. You fill your chest up, then because you're looking down, you lose it when you come off the floor. This is one reason why your hips shoot up first!!
^^^ This. You are looking the bar into the ground.

Also, the split on the jerk should be deeper by 3 or 4 inches. You're receiving the bar too high off the ground. You probably need a combination of a slightly longer split coupled with sitting down into the split just a tad deeper.

Good job keeping your arms straight on the pull. Also on the jerk you do a good job toeing in slightly in the landing position.

Get some weightlifting shoes; you'll be glad you did. If you can't afford weightlifting shoes, use hiking boots or bowling shoes or dress shoes, basically anything with a slight heel and a firm sole. You can get brand new bowling shoes for about $30-$40 and have a cobbler put a crepe rubber sole on them for very little money.
Old 04-27-2012, 02:16 PM   #8
Patrick Costello

Profile:

Not bad.

As it has been said, there is too much movement on your first pull. Keep that chest up and your back tight...your hips are leading. Fix that, and you'll set yourself up for a much better second pull.