CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Health and Medical Issues
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Health and Medical Issues For other than injuries

Old 04-25-2012, 07:11 PM   #1
Chris Kiely

Profile:
Comment on torque release technique?

Hi there,

I am a 39 yo male. Just started crossfitting about 7 months ago. I basically got up off the couch and started doing it, although I've been reasonably active throughout my life. I've had a troublesome back from my late teens and on and off for years. I have seen chiropractors on and off during that time as well. I was llike most of the population in my misunderstanding of how treatments work. I just wanted to get fixed and to not have to keep coming back. Now I realize that chiropractic care for someone like myself is not so much about getting fixed as it is about maintaining a healthy nervous system.

Anyway, crossfit has exposed a bunch of things that aren't working well. One of these things are some herniated discs. Three, to be precise. One in my lower back and two in my neck. For the last month, I have had serious sciatic pain, moving all around my left leg. This was set off by an event in which I hurt my back. I have been seeing a chiropractor for about a week and a half. I have made a commitment to myself that I will continue to see one even after my symptoms subside.

Anyway, to my question - he practises torque release technique. It is new to me, and I'm a little worried because there has been little to no change in my condition (In a week and a half only). Does anyone have any comments about this technique? Can someone reassure me that this is ok? I work as a self employed carpenter so to say this sciatic pain slows me down is a huge understatement. I can barely work and move very slowly, so if going to a more traditional chiropractor will help, thats what I will do.

Any other advice would really be appreciated.
Old 05-03-2012, 07:58 PM   #2
Alden Hingle

Profile:
Re: Comment on torque release technique?

Sorry I can't provide a comment on this type of chiropractic care but I am having very good results with a provider that does manipulative physical therapy. I'm not through my course of treatment but the improvements in range of motion and pain reduction have been pretty amazing.
If the chiropractic treatments don't help, you might give the MPT a try.
Good luck!
Old 05-13-2012, 02:39 PM   #3
Bradley James Thompson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alden Hingle View Post
Sorry I can't provide a comment on this type of chiropractic care but I am having very good results with a provider that does manipulative physical therapy. I'm not through my course of treatment but the improvements in range of motion and pain reduction have been pretty amazing.
If the chiropractic treatments don't help, you might give the MPT a try.
Good luck!
Sorry to hijack the thread, but what makes manipulative physical therapy manipulative? I've done therapy, and there's some manipulation involved, but the vast majority of the time is me doing exercises.
Old 05-16-2012, 11:47 AM   #4
Alden Hingle

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradley James Thompson View Post
Sorry to hijack the thread, but what makes manipulative physical therapy manipulative? I've done therapy, and there's some manipulation involved, but the vast majority of the time is me doing exercises.
I don't know the specifics; you'd have to ask a pro for the differences between treatment approaches. In my case, the therapist (after evaluating the range of motion and function for my neck, shoulders and back), moved/ stretched/ twisted/ flexed those body parts through a particular range of motion and/ or in a certain sequence to improve the ROM and function. She also treated some stubborn trigger points with dry needle therapy. The only exercises she gave me were band stretches to strengthen my external rotators and wobble board work to improve my proprioception and posture.

After the second session, I had about a 10 degree improvement in ROM (turning my head to left or right) in my neck and a marked improvement in side to side (think trying to touch ear to shoulder) ROM. That has continued to improve. As a result of continued sessions, I'm also pain free in my shoulder, the winged scapula is gone, I can put my arm above my head and behind my back without pain and normal ROM has been restored to my shoulders.

I was cleared to start working out again two weeks ago (light weights and high reps; working back slowly) and so far, no shoulder pain or issues other than the soreness of resuming strength training after a many month layoff.

YMMV, but I am a believer in this treatment approach.
Old 07-08-2012, 11:16 AM   #5
Josh Bailey

Profile:

Hi Chris,
I am a practicing chiropractor and recently went to a TRT seminar. First off, let me say, that just about all techniques work pretty well. It really depends on each persons preference.
I have been using it on my patients and getting good results. I don't exclusively use the Integrator (pistol like adjusting instrument) though.
I am new to the technique as you are. It has a lot of research backing it up. How long it takes you to heal will depend on a lot of factors. 1.5 weeks is a pretty short period I would say. You've probably been there more at this point. I would like to hear your opinion after having tried it for a little longer now. How are you doing now?
Old 07-17-2012, 12:01 AM   #6
Chris Kiely

Profile:

Hi Josh,

Thanks for the reply. Yes it has been some time now and I think the treatments are fine. My situation has deteriorated a lot but I did get a lot of relief from TRT. One thing I really liked about it was that it was not intrusive at all- just some light touching. It was easy for me and I appreciate the fact it's easier on my chiro - none of those awkward movements.

I say 'was' because I'm no longer seeing him - my injury is covered by workers compensation and because my neurological condition has gotten worse, they won't allow me to see him until I get a report from my neurologist.

My GP recommended I see a neurologist, I saw him last week and he ordered an MRI ASAP - I read the report, and with the help of webMD learned the disc is ruptured, not just bulging. 1.8cm extrusion in fact. Apparently that's quite large. Plus the plumbing is not 100% either, and my feet don't have strong plantar flexion so there's cause for concern.

Tomorrow I see my GP again and hopefully hear from the neurologist soon. I'm guessing I'm going for surgery. I'm pretty worried, but I know I'm working myself up cause I read the report but haven't seen the doc yet.

Once I talk to the doc I'll start asking more questions.
Old 07-17-2012, 10:45 AM   #7
Josh Bailey

Profile:

Hey Chris,
Sorry to hear about your condition. Good news is you should be in great shape with Crossfit so, recovery should be a lot better than normal. Good luck with your surgery. Sometimes limitations of matter (like an extruded disc or a missing arm) are outside of the scope of Chiropractic and other options must be looked at.
Best of luck and if you can, a regular adjustment even after the surgery can help a lot.

Dr. J