CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Testimonials
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Testimonials CrossFit's successes / your achievements

Old 04-23-2012, 08:00 AM   #51
Arturo Garcia

Profile:
Re: My one year crossfit and paleo results

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Polak View Post
Just remembered this thread from years ago. I have been staying on the same path since, training hard, focused on food, and reading a ton. It's funny when you look back at what you believed, some of the things that I posted here I no longer agree with. Knowledge is something that you add to over time, and makes you realize your mistakes in the past. I have switched all my meats to pastured sources and now am completely in favor of animal fats. I also can't stand the idea of prescribing macro-nutrient ratios.

I have started a lifestyle consulting/info project and have been working with several people as trials to refine it. One of them mentioned this thread, thought I would go back and take a peak. Hope everyone that I got to interact with here had success.
Ryan, could you please expand a little on these changes? It's funny, but I think we all evolve with our beliefs on nutrition. I too lost a lot of weight 6 years ago, and when people ask me how I did it, the first thing I say is that what I did back then, though it worked, was not the best way, heh heh.

I'm interested in how you've been eating in the past 3 years. You were preaching Paleo and/or Zone back then, am I right? Although you seemed to eat Very Low Carb, specially towards the end of your goal of leaning out, where you ditched even fruit and high carb veggies.

So how did it work out after that, in 2010, 2011, and so far this year? And what kind of shape were/are you now?

You do mention now being in favour of animal fats, which is cool, and not subscribing to any macro-nutrient recommendation. But how's the carb intake nowdays? I'm very curious. Your transormation is one of the most epics I've seen (and yes I remember reading about it 3 years ago, just didn't comment back then!)
Old 04-23-2012, 12:34 PM   #52
Ryan Polak

Profile:

I am still lower carb, but not by design. The foods I believe in just happen to work out to be lower carb. The only time I tend to put any focus into macro ratios is PWO. High GI with lean protein source, which is the opposite of how I eat the rest of the day. Mass prescribed macro-ratios are never a good idea. It will work for some, but the rules change so drastically depending on the individual and their needs.

At this point I strictly focus on food and lifestyle quality. I believe that, for the overwhelming majority of the population, a normalized endocrine system is a maximized endocrine system. When you get to high end performance or very specific needs, that rule changes a little bit.

I find when I focus on maintaining a great circadian rhythm and nutrient dense, fresh foods, the rest takes care of itself. Motivation and weight gain are no longer an issue.

As for myself, I do not stay as lean as I was in those pictures, but close. I am usually about 2 months away from looking that way. I stay in the 8-11%BF range, depending on any number of factors. I am a litle bit bigger now (muscle mass) due to the change in focus in training (Big Dawgs and Catalyst) and the higher quality diet I eat.
Old 04-24-2012, 08:58 AM   #53
Arturo Garcia

Profile:

Thanks so much for your response. Would you mind being a little clearer in what foods you're eating? For example, what is your high GI food with lean protein PWO, what does it look like? And not just what foods, but what do they look like quantity-wise?

And the other meals in your day, the lower-carb ones... how many of them? What size? I assume they're meat+veggies meals?

Do you eat fruit? Diary?

Sorry for all the questions. But I only ask because you seem to have found a nice way if you've stayed lean for 3+ years, so I only ask out of admiration.
Old 05-16-2012, 03:56 PM   #54
Lynn Martin

Profile:

So where can I buy your calendar?