CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 04-23-2012, 12:06 PM   #41
James Orr

Profile:
Re: rich froning jr's diet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimitri Dziabenko View Post
Meh, Berardi in my (short) experience has always seemed more a marketer than anything else. Something new comes along, he capitalizes on it (see his recent IF "experiment").
A free PDF describing different ways he played with fasting to lean out for track?

Quote:
Most of his stuff goes away after a while and he does something new:
-Whatever happened to Massive Eating?
-Whatever happened to The Don't Diet, Diet?
-Whatever happened to The Seven Habits of Nutrition?
(One of the habits was eat every 2-3 hours)
I think you're a little caught up on names. The PN habits are large and in charge, but as his material has evolved over the years, it's . . . evolved. In LE, we learn to eat every few hours, for example, and the habits mirror the don't diet thing. In their coaching program for gaining lean mass, they eat massively.

Quote:
More:
- Biotest Surge
- Precision Nutrition
- G-flux

I've stopped listening to him a while back.
Yes, they recommend Surge as a post-workout drink, along with Optimum Nutrition's 2:1:1 Recovery, and a host of others. It's on their recommended supplements page. Again, as products evolve, and as more are on the market, obviously recommendations evolve too. I don't see the problem.
Old 04-23-2012, 01:47 PM   #42
Dimitri Dziabenko

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Orr View Post
Yes, they recommend Surge as a post-workout drink, along with Optimum Nutrition's 2:1:1 Recovery, and a host of others. It's on their recommended supplements page. Again, as products evolve, and as more are on the market, obviously recommendations evolve too. I don't see the problem.
G-Flux is pretty much nonsense. Alan Aragon did an article on how Surge was basically no different than Chocolate milk. Berardi just seems more about marketing than science, but that's my opinion, we can disagree.
Old 04-23-2012, 02:43 PM   #43
James Orr

Profile:

Quote:
G-Flux is pretty much nonsense. Alan Aragon did an article on how Surge was basically no different than Chocolate milk. Berardi just seems more about marketing than science, but that's my opinion, we can disagree.
Have you ever participated in any of PN's coaching programs?
Old 04-23-2012, 04:34 PM   #44
Dimitri Dziabenko

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Orr View Post
Have you ever participated in any of PN's coaching programs?
Nope, too expensive, and besides, what's he gonna tell me that you can't find on the internet? Eating protein and healthy fats? Carb cycling? If the secret is anything like G-Flux, I am frankly not too interested, sorry.

I am sure you like him and that his stuff works, I am just saying that he's more about marketing than being "cutting edge" as the website says. We can disagree.
Old 04-23-2012, 05:37 PM   #45
James Orr

Profile:

Quote:
Nope, too expensive, and besides, what's he gonna tell me that you can't find on the internet? Eating protein and healthy fats? Carb cycling? If the secret is anything like G-Flux, I am frankly not too interested, sorry.

I am sure you like him and that his stuff works, I am just saying that he's more about marketing than being "cutting edge" as the website says. We can disagree.
I don't mind disagreeing, but I was interested in knowing more about where you were coming from. There is indeed much much more in the program. If I had to log on for a lesson every day for 365 days, and learned nothing more than the importance of eating protein, for example, I'm pretty sure everyone involved would be dissatisfied. I've never even heard of G-flux. It's a solid effort, and I'd be willing to say it has changed my life. My wife will definitely say that. My mom and sister are on the waiting list for the next cohort, starting in July. So obviously I've bought in. You can have knowledgeable opinions on something from observing, but nothing can compare to participating.

In the end, we're derailing the thread as none of this invalidates or responds specifically to the topic of my original post, which was to hopefully throw out a few more "breadcrumbs" on the issue of starches and what have you.
Old 04-27-2012, 06:51 AM   #46
Thom Wendelboe

Profile:

Quote:

There isn't anything cutting edge about the science behind diet. HOWEVER, if you actually pay attention to what he has said/posted recently, you would realize that he, and his company, are really focused on the psychological aspects of nutrition, something he often refers to as compliance.

I am currently working my way through the nutrition certification, and have already learned more in a month than I had thought possible. While you may not have an issue with eating, many people do. This is where John Berardi and precision nutrition are beneficial - in developing strategies for helping others achieve their life-style goals.

It really sounds like you are making assumptions and I think it does a disservice to anyone reading this thread. Also, almost everyone who offers advice on the internet is selling a brand/product. From Crossfit certifications to Mike Boyle's FMS seminars, to biotests t-nation articles, even Alan Aragon is selling something - his research review!
Old 04-27-2012, 11:23 AM   #47
Dimitri Dziabenko

Profile:

Ok, great, lets move on. I've stated my view, and we can disagree on whether the price reflects value. Free country after all.
Old 05-01-2012, 09:28 AM   #48
Graeme Moore

Profile:

"...a few unprocessed grains and chickpeas make for a great experiment."

Wow, to be honest I don't think I could take the excitement.

On the other hand, I've just necked two chocolate doughnuts and I feel 'cking amazing!!
Old 05-01-2012, 09:33 AM   #49
Rebecca Roth

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graeme Moore View Post
On the other hand, I've just necked two chocolate doughnuts and I feel 'cking amazing!!
Fun fact.. Necking in the US is about the equivalent of British term snogging. Unless that is actually what you meant, in which case, carry on.
Old 05-01-2012, 09:59 AM   #50
Dustin Wintczak

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebecca Roth View Post
Fun fact.. Necking in the US is about the equivalent of British term snogging. Unless that is actually what you meant, in which case, carry on.
Well there are holes in doughnuts, just sayin...