CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 04-22-2012, 12:57 PM   #1
Tim Dewyngaert

Profile:
Start of Garage and B-day find

Hey Everybody,

So here are the humble beginnings of my Garage Gym .. Its an oversized one car and I have a long way to go. But ... I just had a birthday and I found a "practically brand new" C2 model D on craigslist for $400 ! My AMAZING wife called it an early present and we picked it up... Se here are the rest of details

- Pendlay Econ bumper set (wedding present..Haha)
- A couple of Tractor Supply stall mats
- Rogue P3 pullup bar
- CFF pullup bands
- Homemade Box
- Muscledriver slamball
- Abmat
- Dynamax 20lb med-ball
- Kettlebell - trying to get my hands on a couple more
- Foam Roller & PVC

** On the horizon **

- More stall mats
- 3 Sided Plyobox
- Bigger KB's
- More bumpers
- Some sort of squat stand/rack

It's a oversized one car, it's not huge, trying to decide on what squat stand/rack option is going to give me the most versatility for the best price.. a Rogue W-4 with the 4' depth or the S1 ? .. I am looking for suggestions, comments, and general guidance from people working with this kind of limited space. Thanks to all.

- Oh, and don't mind the pooch. Quint"s an 8 month old boxer and loves to push me on my 400"s and 800's.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Garage 1.jpg
Views:	413
Size:	119.1 KB
ID:	9211  Click image for larger version

Name:	Garage 3.jpg
Views:	313
Size:	117.4 KB
ID:	9212  Click image for larger version

Name:	Garage 2.jpg
Views:	326
Size:	106.2 KB
ID:	9213  
Old 04-22-2012, 02:15 PM   #2
Dan Thomas

Profile:
Re: Start of Garage and B-day find

Looks great so far. Equipment list looks about identical to my little gym, which is also an oversized 1-car.

After a couple weeks of pretty painstaking research, I ended up with the S-2 w/spotter arms and have been very pleased. I wouldn't want anything else.

Two main reasons led me to the S-2. First, I wanted an integrated squat stand / pullup station. Space is ultra limited, and I needed to make the best of it. Second, it doesn't have to be secured to anything, unlike the W-4 or the R-3 which I was also considering. I can move it around. I wasn't sure if I was going to need to be able to, or not... I'm glad I can, as I have moved it 3 or 4 times.

DT
Old 04-22-2012, 02:20 PM   #3
James Orr

Profile:

You have an awesome start!

In terms of versatility, the W-4 is more versatile than the S-1 because you can use a matador and have pull-up stations. You have a P-3, so that's not really an issue, although you could sell it to help recoup some cost.

If bar dips aren't in your future, the S-1 is awesome and a bit less expensive. I had an SPX (the old version of the S-1) and P-4 setup for two years before getting my S-3 last week, and it was an awesome setup.
Old 04-23-2012, 10:26 AM   #4
Jeremy Galo

Profile:

I believe you can still use the matador attachment as long as you mount it on the inside of the squat rack and not hanging off the side. It'll obv. help even more if you had plate storage to hold it down.

Do you have the S-2 bolted down? Using the spotter arms would be pretty scary on something like that.
Old 04-23-2012, 11:10 AM   #5
Dan Thomas

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Galo View Post
Do you have the S-2 bolted down? Using the spotter arms would be pretty scary on something like that.
My S-2 is not bolted to anything, and the spotter arms work great. Absolutely rock solid.

DT
Old 04-23-2012, 11:57 AM   #6
James Orr

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Galo View Post
I believe you can still use the matador attachment as long as you mount it on the inside of the squat rack and not hanging off the side. It'll obv. help even more if you had plate storage to hold it down.
I actually upgraded my SPX to an S-1 for the purpose of using a matador and other attachments. It just wasn't working. The upright swayed way too much. You need some kind of cross-member above to stabilize things. Good news is my new S-3 with a Dirty South bar is bad ***! Now my wife and I both have pull-up bars at the perfect height.
Old 04-23-2012, 01:17 PM   #7
Jeremy Galo

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Orr View Post
I actually upgraded my SPX to an S-1 for the purpose of using a matador and other attachments. It just wasn't working. The upright swayed way too much. You need some kind of cross-member above to stabilize things. Good news is my new S-3 with a Dirty South bar is bad ***! Now my wife and I both have pull-up bars at the perfect height.
You know what, you're right, I was getting confused. I was starting to answer Dan regarding his S-2 so when I mentioned the matador attachment, i had the S-2 in mind with the crossmember. Sorry, it's Monday haha.