CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 04-18-2012, 03:17 PM   #11
John Kaupp

Profile:
Re: USAW Cert. vrs. CrossFit Oly Cert.

Brendan,

it's also a good thing to be coached. Knowing what cues, exercises that help (don't help) and applying them to others is a huge help. Knowing what it looks and feels like and being able to relate that to someone is else is a huge part of coaching. It's a good (and humbling) experience.

Also, the more lifting you see, the better you see things as a coach. Most of why I am able to spot things quickly and address them is because I have literally coached thousands of athletes. Only 1% of them were pure weightlifters, but we still did the Oly lifts with 99% of the others. Just seeing it over and over. This also helps you get better with your programming. Many times you will have to change gears mid workout because someone isn't feeling it that day. You are going to have to take weight off the bar because they got 3 hours of sleep the night before or forgot to eat breakfast or a thousand other reasons athletes/clients come to you with. Or something finally clicks for someone where they are in the groove and PR by 10kg in the middle of a cycle because the light finally came on.

One of the best things I ever did was go up to Coach B's on the weekends when I was living in San Diego. As Jeremy has said, there are people in your area, find them. Oly community is similar to the CF community. Most are willing to open their doors and help out.
Old 04-19-2012, 08:03 AM   #12
Brendan McNamar

Profile:

I learned 2 things in the Oly cert. 1) how to begin to teach new people Oly. lifts and 2) that at my own Oly lifts were pathetic and unacceptable for a coach.

I spent 4 months 2 days a week at PWC with Mark after my CrossFit Oly Cert..

In my defense the affiliate where I started had not gotten their lifting program worked out quite yet. They have sense improved it greatly.

I'm just an analytical type, I like to read and think about things to gain understanding then practice applying them. Just how I learn.

I was looking at last years American Master Nationals. In the 40-44 age group 94kg class my current numbers would have won.

[This I tribute to a complete failure on USAW's part to promote the sport over all. I expect being in So Cal and having a CrossFit box as a co-host the competition will be much tougher this year. Pathetic that it takes CrossFit to promote weightlifting when that is the USAW's job. Rant over.].

I have about 10 weeks left on a power lifting/strength cycle then I might spend some more time on Oly Lifts. It would be fun to go to Master's Nationals.

Plus the tough competition is in the 85kg class so I like any event where my job is to NOT get lighter!
Old 04-19-2012, 08:49 AM   #13
Troy Peterson

Profile:

Brendan,

There is a lower cost 1 day seminar out there (no certification) that was worth the cost just in teaching me improved setup alone.

Strength Specific Seminars Former CFer and now FT Oly Bill Bybee ran our course. I have no connection to these people, just a satisfied attendee.

I'm only a PT coach but feel I picked up a ton that I can translate to myself and others I coach. I made the connection between how a position looks and how it should feel.

They've been making the rounds to CF affiliates all over..would guess AZ would make a great destination and the CF population could support it. This may be a lower cost option to help you out.
Old 04-19-2012, 12:24 PM   #14
Hakeem Johnson

Profile:

Good luck
Old 04-20-2012, 12:44 PM   #15
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendan McNamar View Post
I was looking at last years American Master Nationals. In the 40-44 age group 94kg class my current numbers would have won.

*snip*

I have about 10 weeks left on a power lifting/strength cycle then I might spend some more time on Oly Lifts. It would be fun to go to Master's Nationals.
Master's Worlds would be even more fun. It's in conjunction with the International Masters Games in Italy next year. :-)

Qualifying totals at http://mastersweightlifting.org/qualifying.htm (WFS)

(Yes, that's what I'm shooting for. Hope to see you there!)

Katherine
Old 04-21-2012, 08:21 AM   #16
Brendan McNamar

Profile:

I have no shot in the International fields.

Unlike Americans the rest of the worlds Masters actually know what they are doing. I'm 40-50 kg short to qualify and I would have to get my weight down because in the international fields as weight classes go up weights go up.

This wasn't true in the American Masters last year. The 85s crushed the 94s. So I plan to stay a 94 to avoid the 85s if I go.
Old 04-21-2012, 09:21 PM   #17
Andy Luten

Profile:

I'm in the middle of the CrossFit Oly Cert right now (YAY BURPEES!). It's a fantastic seminar for teaching the olympic lifts, but that's the goal: to teach how to teach them. Where Coach B really excels is his ability to take something that is incredibly technical and boil it down to a level that's understood by a larger group.

I can't comment on the USAW, although I know that's what you're asking, and for that I apologize, but if your goal is teach the lifts better, the CF cert is probably up your alley.

Randomly, Coach B was talking today that Annie T could actually qualify for the Olympics in Oly Lifting if she wanted to.
Old 04-22-2012, 09:06 AM   #18
Brendan McNamar

Profile:

Quote:
So I'm trying to decide if I'm going to attend a local USAW Cert. class. I have already attended the CrossFit Oly Cert., but the new videos from the Journal make it clear Burgener has overhauled his curriculum and how he is teaching the lifts.

If you have attended both what is your opinion?

What was your experience?
To get things back on track I already have done the CrossFit Oly Cert with coach B. Yes it was very good.

My question is will I learn enough new information at a USAW Cert. to justify the cost and time?

So far we have not heard from anyone who has done both and can offer a side by side comparison.
Old 04-22-2012, 03:55 PM   #19
John Kaupp

Profile:

Brendan,
to clarify. I have done the USAW and assisted with the CF Oly Certs. You are not going to get a bunch of new information. You might get 90-95% of the same info presented in a different manner or different cues. But you aren't going to get much more in the way of programming, working with individuals weaknesses, group coaching etc, from the USAW. I would direct those efforts and funds into something else. Both are good, but if you have one, you are going to get a better understanding just watching good coaches coach. And coaching your athletes as well.
Old 04-26-2012, 12:48 PM   #20
Renee Lee

Profile:

Quote:
To get things back on track I already have done the CrossFit Oly Cert with coach B. Yes it was very good.

My question is will I learn enough new information at a USAW Cert. to justify the cost and time?

So far we have not heard from anyone who has done both and can offer a side by side comparison.
Brendan, I've done both. USAW recently redid their certification structures and the current curriculum for an L1 Sport Performance Coach is different than the L1 Club Coach curriculum from a few years ago. (I've taken the most current certification)

It's definitely a step up from the CF SME cert. Coach B teaches you to coach beginners. USAW gets a little more nitpicky about mechanics and how to correct it.

The end of my cert was about programming and volume...but it was very very brief. The level 2 curriculum goes in it more in depth, but you need the L1 first, of course.

Are we friends on facebook? I never pop in here anymore, but you can email me if you have other questions