CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 04-15-2012, 07:41 PM   #1
Loui Cavallini

Profile:
Juicing your fruits and vegetables.

What is your opinion on juicing your fruits and vegetables for your Carbohydrate intake?

Also, what is your opinion in drinking your carbs rather than chewing & eating them?
Old 04-15-2012, 10:14 PM   #2
Dimitri Dziabenko

Profile:
Re: Juicing your fruits and vegetables.

When you say juicing, do you mean squeeze the juice out and just drink that, or do you mean putting it in a blender? Second one is fine, first one is not so good. Fruit juice is basically sugar water.

As for drinking your carbs...it depends on context.
Old 04-16-2012, 05:48 AM   #3
Michael Gray

Profile:

You can make some really interesting drinks with a juicer. The juicer takes out the fiber, which is filling. This way, you can consume more nutrients.

Do you get enough fiber? Try tracking your fiber intake for a day. It should be at least 25g. Most people don't even come close.

Sometimes Mother Nature packages foods with one thing enhancing another. This is why processed foods are becoming a problem. Juicing is processing, so be careful.

My favorite juice:
1 Fuji Apple (med - large)
1/2" of fresh ginger root
1 cup of fresh cranberries
Old 04-16-2012, 07:11 AM   #4
Brian Androsian

Profile:

I don't see any benefit in juicing over just blending up the whole thing. The juice isn't the only good thing about the fruit. Get a good blender, throw everything you want in there.
Old 04-16-2012, 11:03 AM   #5
Jason Peacock

Profile:

The other hidden problem with juicing is that you end up eating much more than you would if you had to chew it.

Think about how many oranges go into orange juice. You wouldn't sit down and eat 8 oranges in one sitting, would you?

Also, in drinking food, you can physically consume much more calories much faster than if you chewed it and gave your body a change to trigger satiety and stop you when full.

So...if you're in a hurry/need convenience, you can take what you would normally eat and blend it. But otherwise I'm against juicing, there's no positive to it other than the laziness of not chewing.

(unless you're trying to gain mass rapidly, then sometimes you have to use shakes to trick your body into consuming much more calories than normal)

Just eat real food, not babyfood.
Old 04-17-2012, 12:48 AM   #6
Aaron Benson

Profile:

I really like the quickness of juicing and the fast absorbtion of nutrients. Like has been said, you do miss out on the fiber... with only juicing. To remedy that issue I juice up whatever fruits I have at the time and throw it in the blender with different whole vegies to get the benefits of fiber. Some days I juice the vegies and blend that with whole fruits. Been doing that for about 4 months now and have no lack in energy at work or in the gym... on top of strict paleo
Old 04-17-2012, 10:26 AM   #7
Jason Peacock

Profile:

Quote:
no lack in energy at work or in the gym... on top of strict paleo
You shouldn't need anything on top of strict paleo. Are you getting enough fats in your diet? With a good paleo diet, you should be able to seamlessly introduce intermittent fasting and easily do 16-24hrs of fasting w/o a drop in energy level.
Old 04-17-2012, 06:00 PM   #8
Laura LeBlanc

Profile:

stupid question..how does juicing take out the fiber?
Old 04-17-2012, 09:48 PM   #9
Jason Peacock

Profile:

Classic juicing will pulp the fruit or veggies and separate the juice (water) from the solids (the rinds and fiber). You end up with a glass of juice at one end, and a bucket of moist solids at the other end. Most people then throw away the solids and drink the juice. But there are many good things in the solids that you're losing.

Using a blender, the fruit or veggies are pureed and the solids and juices are mixed together very well into a smooth paste/liquid, there's no by-product. All the goodness is preserved and nothing is thrown out.

But you still have the problem of too easily consuming. This is great if you're trying to overconsume, but most people are trying to lose weight. Just eat the fruit/veggies whole, and your body will naturally tell you when you've had enough
Old 04-17-2012, 10:26 PM   #10
Aaron Benson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Peacock View Post
You shouldn't need anything on top of strict paleo. Are you getting enough fats in your diet? With a good paleo diet, you should be able to seamlessly introduce intermittent fasting and easily do 16-24hrs of fasting w/o a drop in energy level.
Jason, I am new to this crossfit and paleo stuff, so by enough fats do you mean fish, and almonds types of fats?

In my first post I meant juicing and blending is part of my paleo diet, not so much as an addition to it. Veggies not vegies, LOL, I rarely ate them so I could not spell them correctly either! Why do you have to fast with paleo diet? I am trying to gain weight so would intermittent fasting be a good idea still? Thanks