CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 04-16-2012, 02:52 PM   #51
Ryan R Johnson

Profile:
Re: 300 lb Grace (not Rob Orlando)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clint Harris View Post
Gymnastics of course. If you roll an ankle while running away, you can simply flip over and continue on your hands.
Haha good call. I was thinking o lifting. You can snatch zombies overhead and just let em fly
Old 04-16-2012, 05:12 PM   #52
Ben Norris

Profile:

I would go with the ability to shoot accurately rather than being awesome at O" lifting or gymnastics.
Old 04-16-2012, 05:43 PM   #53
Michael Dowling

Profile:

Man that guy moves 300 lbs like it's nothing, incredible...
Old 04-16-2012, 05:48 PM   #54
Mike Jenkins

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan R Johnson View Post
Chris, what do you think of his strongman wod site? I've peeked at it. Seems like a blend of strongman + met cons..

Wouldn't met cons seriously effect your ability to do strongman or powerlifting?!

Just asking cause I have a hard enough time recovering from regular strength training + met cons
It would take away from strongman if that is your only goal is to be the best strongman you can be, with that being said it can help if you have already developed the strength and know the movements. Crossfit Strongman is what everyone has been saying, its making people comfortable and good at the movements just like learning oly movements, pl movements and gymnastics, being as good as you can at a number of things. I get in 1 real WOD a week to get my conditioning back after the Arnold and make up my own stuff for conditioning on event days. I will try to get in 2 a week as I get closer to Worlds to help my cardio.
Old 04-16-2012, 07:22 PM   #55
Jonathan Renner

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan R Johnson View Post
I accept it, this forums for expressing view point, not imposing them on others.

Best job in the world . You'll love it. I've been on the job 12 years.

Most entrance tests at least in my area involve stair climb, dummy drag, hose pulls, hoisting hose reels, weighted keiser. Etc all in a timed evolution. Best training for it would be stairmaster with a weighted vest. And lots of prowler pushes and drags.

Also a 2 mile run in 15 minutes, but thats cake. And a swim an 1minute breath hold.

I just did a competition the other day that was a race up a 55 story building with full gear and pack. It was actually pretty brutal.

Good luck on the testing. With those numbers in the weight room , I'm positive you'll do great.
I appreciate the good luck, and apologies if my post seemed harsh.

That competition you did actually sounds kind of fun haha. Thanks for the advice. I'm really tailoring my workouts these days leading up to the agility tests to the specific exercises that I'll be doing. I don't think the agility tests or the written tests will ever be a problem for me. It's the interview that got me for the first department I applied to a couple of weeks ago.

And I agree that you've got the best job in the world. Hope to be joining you soon. Cheers.
Old 04-17-2012, 01:39 AM   #56
Doug Lantz

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Pendlay View Post
I don't think I m going down quite THAT rabbit hole... and, if you must know I think a 1:02 grace is unfreaking believable and awesome as hell. So is a 4 minute mile or a fast marathon. And the guys who even complete the tour de france are impressive as hell, monsters really.

But you have to admit that there is a pretty strong "ready for anything anytime, Im gonna survive when the zombies come" element in crossfit. Or at least it seems like it to me.

And, the human body could be called upon to do such a wide variety of things in an emergency, from walking for days with little or no sleep, to a life or death 1 rep log lift where your wife dies if you cant lift it off her. And so, there is really no way to "train for anything", and given that, maybe the way to best cover all your bases is actually to just get really strong and stay in reasonable shape.

Mr. Pendlay,

I appreciate your contributions here, I spend a lot of time surfing your site also (time I should be spending on training though)

How would you define "reasonable" shape ?
How would you test it ?
How would you train for it ?
Old 04-17-2012, 02:51 AM   #57
Ryan R Johnson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Renner View Post
I appreciate the good luck, and apologies if my post seemed harsh.

That competition you did actually sounds kind of fun haha. Thanks for the advice. I'm really tailoring my workouts these days leading up to the agility tests to the specific exercises that I'll be doing. I don't think the agility tests or the written tests will ever be a problem for me. It's the interview that got me for the first department I applied to a couple of weeks ago.

And I agree that you've got the best job in the world. Hope to be joining you soon. Cheers.
Nah it wasn't harsh. I bombed a few interviews at first. One were they asked me orally questions like how many gpm's is a blue sprinkler head on a commercial sprinkler system. I think my answer was "there's blue sprinkler heads?!" . Im still don't know that answer. LOL.

Another one, they asked me to give a full fire prevention class, and to pretend They were 5th graders.

The funniest thing is, the first fire job I had, I applied online and got hired and a start date without ever interviewing or even doing a PAT. They sent me a letter with my start date and physical/drug test date. That job was crash rescue for the DEpartment of defense. Go figure
Old 04-17-2012, 11:16 AM   #58
Doug Lantz

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Norris View Post
I would go with the ability to shoot accurately rather than being awesome at O" lifting or gymnastics.
Funny you should mention that....

http://glennpendlay.wordpress.com/20...-zombies-come/ (maybe not WFS because of the discussion of guns)

http://glennpendlay.wordpress.com/20...ave-your-life/ (probably not WFS due to discussions of violence)
Old 04-17-2012, 12:56 PM   #59
Clint Harris

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Lantz View Post
Funny you should mention that....

http://glennpendlay.wordpress.com/20...-zombies-come/ (maybe not WFS because of the discussion of guns)

http://glennpendlay.wordpress.com/20...ave-your-life/ (probably not WFS due to discussions of violence)
I think light saber would be the best weapon. Silent so more "walkers" aren't attracted and it won't get stuck in a zombie spinal cord or shoulder. You could take out 20 zombies with a single 360 degree swish and according to my sources, it wouldn't run out of ammo (aka batteries). Yes, light saber would be my weapon of choice.
Old 04-17-2012, 02:57 PM   #60
Mauricio Leal

Profile:

Star Trek Phaser (wfs) please.

Quote:
A typical hand phaser can merely stun living organisms, or completely disintegrate them, and the beam can be adjusted to strike multiple targets at once or evenly destroy large amounts of material. A starship's phasers can be used as an 'anti-missile' defense to destroy incoming projectiles. Also witnessed in the TOS episode "For The World is Hollow and I Have Touched the Sky". They can be used as welding torches or cutting tools, and can create heat sources by firing at a large, solid object (like a rock). Phasers can be set to overload, whereby they build up a force-chamber explosion by continuously generating energy without releasing it; the resulting blast can destroy most natural objects within a 50 meter radius. The overload process is marked by a distinctive sound that increases in volume and frequency until it is deactivated or it detonates.
NNNNERRRRDDDZ!