CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 04-11-2012, 03:07 PM   #1
Greg Whelan

Profile:
Technique Questions

Okay, so first off my body does not always build evenly[past injuries/surgery].
I will list out the exercises and my issues with them [that I know for now]

Generally my left arm is a big issue.

Kipping Pull ups/ Pulls ups- My body shifts as much of the weight as possible to my right arm which kills my reps. I am trying to focus it on my left arm, but it is not changing yet. The issue may stem from the TBI[reaction time issues] or the poor circulation to my left arm from a surgery. That one is a hard one for help on.

Overhead Squats- This is the fact that my left arm does not extend as far[tendinitis does not help, but I am working on that]. As my left arm does not extend the same, I become very off balance and the squat gets very challenging. Ideas here?

Bench- well this is linked for sure to poor blood flow. My left arm normally seizes up as the lactic acid cannot be moved out. I bench now with a good brace for the tendonitis, though it can suck as it sometimes makes my left arm extend faster.

I love crossfit now that I am putting it into my life now. I can want to get better at everything.
Old 04-12-2012, 09:05 AM   #2
Jason Wallis

Profile:
Re: Technique Questions

Find a GOOD physical therapist
Old 04-12-2012, 10:08 AM   #3
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

Physical therapy, mobility work, plus you may need to accept that you're not going to be able to do every CF exercise safely and modify workouts accordingly. Doesn't mean you won't still be able to get results though.

For instance kipping pullups may be a problem if a majority of the ballistic loading of your shoulder girdle is going to one arm--lots of potential to blow out that shoulder with something like a SLAP tear or rotator cuff problems.
Old 04-13-2012, 03:46 PM   #4
Greg Whelan

Profile:

alright, well I am honestly feeling a physical therapist cannot really do much until my body finds a way to supply even blood flow [stent partially blocks the artery to my left arm].

I will have to modify some of my workouts and focus on ensuring the loading is more even. I, and the cardiologist mentioned this, feel that it may take time before the blood flow becomes rerouted.

thanks for the replies though
Old 04-13-2012, 08:07 PM   #5
Robert Fabsik

Profile:

Are dumbbells a choice?
This is where you need to scale for you.
Old 04-16-2012, 06:48 PM   #6
Greg Whelan

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Fabsik View Post
Are dumbbells a choice?
This is where you need to scale for you.
Trine's weight room sucks, though they are there and I do use them. I have to be careful at the moment as I have tennis elbow in my left elbow mostly because the blood flow is not there to heal it. I have a good brace for that and ice it after heavy use

What exercises with db's would you suggest?
Old 04-17-2012, 07:21 AM   #7
Mike Moulder

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Whelan View Post
alright, well I am honestly feeling a physical therapist cannot really do much until my body finds a way to supply even blood flow [stent partially blocks the artery to my left arm].

I will have to modify some of my workouts and focus on ensuring the loading is more even. I, and the cardiologist mentioned this, feel that it may take time before the blood flow becomes rerouted.

thanks for the replies though
a good physio... think Kelly Starrett should be able to recommend exercises and therapy that can speed your body healing. Do some research first and find, not just a qualified, but a good physical therapist and they can make all the difference. This is what they do.
Old 04-17-2012, 07:34 AM   #8
Arden Cogar Jr.

Profile:

Others have covered this, but a specific physio who is knowledgable, like Kelly Starrett, would be best. Any run of the mill therapist will likely be a waste of money as few truly understand how the body works for optimal performance.

To overcome issues of past injuries and go beyond previous thresholds, you need to accept that often you will put more time and effort into joint mobility, static stretching, and self myofascial release than the actual training. You need to find a way to improve the circulation to that left arm. Research it yourself first and look for techniques that have worked for others. Experiment and report back. Never stop the quest.

Such an approach will result in better long term results. And you have to accept that it's a slow gradual process.

To be frank, I would begin by stopping kipping pullups and most explosive movements as that could cause more harm than good. You have a biomechanical issue with your arm that will cause you to overcompensate elsewhere that could result in structural issues elsewhere because of the overcompensation. Concentrate on the slower movements and don't become consumed with beating your previous times until you've mastered the movements and your situation has improved.

It will improve. The human body was meant to adapt and overcome. But you have to respect what has been imposed upon you and find a way to correct it yourself or through the guidance of someone learned.

Good luck.

All the best,
Arden
Old 04-17-2012, 05:41 PM   #9
Greg Whelan

Profile:

Yea, I have accepted it as that was the cardiologist told me originally. I will keep working at it. I guess that's what I have accepted as one of the trade offs for life.

I will look into techniques to improve the blood flow in that arm.

A physio though? Sorry, not right now by far. I am in college and at that its a d3 private college and will not have the money.

The bad part of cutting back on the explosive movements is that those are what I like. I will think about cutting back on the movements that I notice issues with though.

Thank you
Old 04-17-2012, 05:51 PM   #10
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

If you can't afford a physical therapist, I would do a whole lot more than just "thinking about cutting back" on problem movements. You need to quit doing anything that aggravates your conditions, no questions asked. If physical therapy sounds pricey for you, you probably don't want to pony up for orthopedic surgery.