CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 04-14-2012, 08:12 AM   #11
Jeffrey Sanders

Profile:
Re: X-ray shows lumbar curve

Don't waste your time on Chiropractors. They are a joke. A few pops will not change the position of your bones. Chiropractors are the magicians of the 21st century, people just keep going back for the same problem (makes for good business!). Your bones are where they are, you cannot change that. Like a previous poster suggested, look into a PT, they should be able to help you more with flexibility as well as strengthening supporting muscles.
Old 04-14-2012, 10:44 AM   #12
Megan Zetter

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey Sanders View Post
Don't waste your time on Chiropractors. They are a joke. A few pops will not change the position of your bones. Chiropractors are the magicians of the 21st century, people just keep going back for the same problem (makes for good business!). Your bones are where they are, you cannot change that. Like a previous poster suggested, look into a PT, they should be able to help you more with flexibility as well as strengthening supporting muscles.
That is a very ignorant and offensive comment. There are a number of very knowledgeable chiropractors that contribute to this forum. As well as many posters who have benefited from chiropractic care.
Old 04-14-2012, 08:26 PM   #13
Sean Rockett

Profile:

Quote:
Both realms of health care have a lot to offer, let's not be derogatory and keep it professional. Sean
Old 04-15-2012, 04:09 AM   #14
Alix James

Profile:

I'm going to go and see a well recommended Chiro tomorrow and also a PT later on in the week, I will see what advice they both give and then see where to take it.

I will keep the thread updated
Old 04-15-2012, 09:40 AM   #15
Jeffrey Sanders

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megan Zetter View Post
That is a very ignorant and offensive comment. There are a number of very knowledgeable chiropractors that contribute to this forum. As well as many posters who have benefited from chiropractic care.
Please explain the ignorance in my comment. You are discussing fixing scoliosis with back cracking... Really? Wow!
Old 04-15-2012, 12:07 PM   #16
Megan Zetter

Profile:

Quote:
Please explain the ignorance in my comment. You are discussing fixing scoliosis with back cracking... Really? Wow!
I did not say anything to that suggest that (see my 1st post). I suggested he may have a leg length difference, hence the scoliosis. Or perhaps this is an anatomical defect, ie he was born this way. Neither of which will "back cracking" resolve. However, if joints are not moving correctly, muscular compensations take place which cascades into many issues elsewhere in the body. Many of which a good chiropractor will address.

Your ignorance lies in the fact that many other health care practitioners utilize and see the benefit of manipulation of joints. PT's, DO's and ND's often manipulate joints.

There are some chiropractors that believe manipulation is all that someone needs and while I can see that your beliefs may be seated in that small group of DC's, most chiropractors address the entire musculoskeletal system utilizing rehab, muscle work/massage techniques, nutrition, ergonomic advice, stress reduction, etc, and referral to other health care providers as needed.
Old 04-15-2012, 08:50 PM   #17
Steven Low

Profile:

Yep agreed.

It pretty much doesn't matter what profession is as long as you find someone who is GOOD.

Though, in general, if you have certain issues and you are unsure if people in your area are good or not you may go to a certain group of professions over the other as they would likely have more experience with a particular injury than another
Old 04-16-2012, 12:03 AM   #18
Alix James

Profile:

Got an appointment with a good chiro in about an hour.

Really bad timing I guess, but I have excrutiating pain today and have had to leave the gym and go home. My mid back/lats/serratus/obliques are giving me a real hard time, had to get assistant to get off a sofa earlier this morning. I have had a niggle for a few days, I thought I may have caused it via doing sled pull throughs at the end of last week, thats only the really new thing I have introduced recently.

Was due to train today and about 3-4 sets into my good morning warmups I got a sharp pain shoot around my rib cage so I called the session off. Having difficulty breathing in and out and even simple movements are giving me a problem. Pretty sure this is totally unrelated but its not gonna look good walking into the chiro and convincing him I had not had a back issue in over 10 years of training :s
Old 04-16-2012, 04:57 AM   #19
Alix James

Profile:

Back from the appointment, expensive session but he was very infomative, he took me through both x-rays, on the side view he showed me I think it was L4 an issue... 'Scotty Dog' analogy - and it had the collar thing going on. He didnt seem that worried about that.

He identified my problem being at the L3-L4 junction predominantly. When immediately lying down on the table he pointed out my left leg was about 5mm longer than the right, he then did some hip mobility movements, forgot the name of what he called it, but was for checking flexion (limited on me - by capusle he says), abduction, extension and external rotation..ending in a figure 4 postion. Generally he said my hips had good feel. Once he had done this twice on each hip, my leg length was equal. He indicated this meant it was a functional issue over an anatomical one.

He checked some toe touchs, bends etc. He said I have issue mainly with my QL, especially on the right side, and he sees this as one of the areas I need to work on the most. He used a traction table thing and worked my back through some positions that felt nice. He also did a couple of manual manipulations.

The problem I have today hasnt really cleared, Im expecting that to ease over the next few days as I think its related to the pull throughs but it is making breathing and even small movements difficult. I'll ice it tonight and see how it is for the 4am wake up. Recently been trying to sleep on my back to position my shoulders better so not sure if that is helping either.

He said to give 4 sessions a go with him and they reassess it.
Old 04-16-2012, 01:23 PM   #20
Steven Low

Profile:

4 sessions seems reasonable.

You typically should see some improvement in about 2 weeks if he's hitting the right stuff