CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 04-15-2012, 08:16 AM   #1
Damon Greenfield

Profile:
Overhead squat movement, muscles involved.

I didnt know where to post this, I couldnt find a section to post it.

When doing a squat , there are no issues performing a strict technical squat. The problem starts when there is a 45 pound barbell overhead. When i first attempt to do my Overhead squat, i can only get halfway down before something is stopping me. I for the love of me cant tell what is restricting me, could be lower body or even upper body. But normally I will do about 5 or 6 half overhead squats with the barbell over head. Take a minute rest, do it again this time I can go a little bit lower. I rest for a minute, then i may toss on some 10's on each side and try to go down even farther. Maybe after 4 or 5 small sets I then can go all the way down deep into my overhead squat. Then i can do a WoD that may require 95 pounds ect ect . The more I do them during the work out the easier they get , flexibility wise.

Im 40 years old, im very flexible in my legs, I can lay down on my legs actually. So im trying to figure out what other muscles can be restricting me and being so tight in the beginning. I would love to figure it out and then work on it so i can get better flexibility.

Anyone on here know the anatomy of human muscles that can help me locate which ones I need to work on ? thanks.
Old 04-15-2012, 08:55 AM   #2
Brendan McNamar

Profile:
Re: Overhead squat movement, muscles involved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damon Greenfield View Post
Im 40 years old....

Anyone on here know the anatomy of human muscles that can help me locate which ones I need to work on ? thanks.
Welcome to life after 40......

On a serious note what you are describing sounds like joint tightness not muscle tightness. As you warm up it gets better and better.

Video would be best. Or just have an experienced coach watch you.

Do you have a different warm up routine before heavy squatting then met-cons? Is you foot placement the same or very close for both lifts? How do your shoulders move? Are they warmed up adequately?

Are your back squat/front squat/overhead squat numbers inline with each other? Figure about a 30% increase from OHS to FS and FS to BS. These are just ball park figures but if your OHS is only 50% of your FS them there is something wrong.

The one thing I am fairly sure of is it is not a muscle issue if you can lay down on your legs. It would take two big guys and something would break if I tried to get into that position yet my OHS is fine.
Old 04-15-2012, 09:01 AM   #3
Struan Potter

Profile:

Loosen up your ankles with some mulligan techniques, look around on mobilitywod.com (WFS).

Or you can get some weightlifting shoes.
Old 04-15-2012, 10:38 AM   #4
Keith Miller

Profile:

I'm thinking ankle flexibility and/or upper back/shoulder tightness.
Old 04-15-2012, 02:49 PM   #5
James Hanley

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Miller View Post

Seems like the obvious one if a normal squat isn't an issue alright.

Easy enough way to find out is to do a wall squat with your hands between your legs and then one with hands overhead.

If you fall apart on the second one, chances are it's thoracic mobility, inability to extend, lat tightness.
Old 04-15-2012, 06:57 PM   #6
Damon Greenfield

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Hanley View Post
Seems like the obvious one if a normal squat isn't an issue alright.

Easy enough way to find out is to do a wall squat with your hands between your legs and then one with hands overhead.

If you fall apart on the second one, chances are it's thoracic mobility, inability to extend, lat tightness.
its when hands are over head that i fall apart, every thing gets out of whack.

So if it is my upper body, what things can i do to improve flexibility and mobility ?
Old 04-15-2012, 07:27 PM   #7
Brian Strump

Profile:

If it were your ankles, it would be an issue whenever you squat(BS, FS, OHS, air squat). So your ankles are out.

My vote is for one or more of the following; tight lats, poor scapular stability, poor lumbar stability. The first of which you can find some help on mobility WOD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Miller View Post
Old 04-16-2012, 02:18 AM   #8
James Hanley

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damon Greenfield View Post
its when hands are over head that i fall apart, every thing gets out of whack.

So if it is my upper body, what things can i do to improve flexibility and mobility ?
Mobilisation/arching over a foam roller is probably the most obvious one and the one that will provide the biggest bang for your buck in the first instance. I can't link to anything because I can't get onto YT on this comp, but a quick search should provide it. The most recent post on my site (linked in sig and WFS) has a video if it too.

Outside of that, I'd get a roller/lacrosse ball into my pec up toward the shoulder and roll the hell out of my lats (get up towards the armpit, and be warned, this will hurt like a mother trucker).

I think the arching over the roller is key tho to be honest. You can make big gains super quick with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Strump View Post
If it were your ankles, it would be an issue whenever you squat(BS, FS, OHS, air squat). So your ankles are out.

My vote is for one or more of the following; tight lats, poor scapular stability, poor lumbar stability. The first of which you can find some help on mobility WOD.
Yah agree on all counts there. If you can wall squat with your toes a couple inches from the wall and not smash your face, chances are your hips and ankles are ok.
Old 04-26-2012, 03:42 PM   #9
Damon Greenfield

Profile:

Sorry I didnt get back to you. I been busy at work and no time for any computer chatting. Thanks for feedback and I will check out your link, and also will check out mobility WOD.

If your still around I do have a question about this.

Quote:
Outside of that, I'd get a roller/lacrosse ball into my pec up toward the shoulder and roll the hell out of my lats (get up towards the armpit, and be warned, this will hurt like a mother trucker).
I do have a lacrosse ball, but when you say in my peck toward the shoulder, are you talking about the front of the check pec , or just what you said in parenthesis about armpit area.

This stretching i hope helps. I can do it every night, not sure if I would have time in the mornings before a work out though.
Old 04-29-2012, 02:06 AM   #10
James Hanley

Profile:

I'd hit the area on the front of your chest where your shoulder and pec join up. Like from your clavicle to where your arm pit starts.

If you place the back of your hand right in thr middle of your lower back on the side You're rolling it'll open things up better too.

Its really early here and i'm on my phone so Hopefully that makes sense.