CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 04-15-2012, 08:24 AM   #1
Patrick Rushbrook

Profile:
Need some suggestions for post-injury training

I've been dealing with a back injury for several years (chronic left-side paraspinal inflammation due to a stuck facet joint) which limited my strength gains considerably. After finally getting tired of constant strains and stagnant progress, I decided to take some time away from heavy lifting, KB swings, etc, and focus on mobility and core strengthening.

It's been going well (3-4 months), and I'm ready to start using a barbell again. I had been planning on doing 5/3/1 before taking this break, but I've lost a good bit of my baseline strength (basically only on anything involved in pulling or squatting) and feel like I should try to spend a few weeks resetting to something close to where I was (which was not real impressive). I feel like I don't want to come into 5/3/1 cold. I think I probably need to get my body accustomed to more than 95lbs before going into something geared toward increasing my maxes.

Anyone have a good idea for the best way to do this? I definitely want to avoid another strain. I don't know if my best choice is gradually increasing the weight using high rep sets( 15-20) or stick with lower reps.

This would be on my own time, generally with about 30 minutes to do it in the evening. I'm still going to WODs 4 times a week in the morning. I'll have to work around the WODs to avoid the inevitable doubling up on movements.

Sorry for the long post.
Old 04-15-2012, 08:59 AM   #2
Patrick Rushbrook

Profile:
Re: Need some suggestions for post-injury training

I can also add that 1RM isn't important to me, so maybe someting like 5/3/1 isn't what I want. However, we do have programmed WODs that in order for me to Rx, I'll need much more strength than I have (such as 245 back squat x 30 + 1 mile run). I'd love to have the strength to do higher reps with fairly heavy weight, but a 500lb max deadlift isn't of any interest.

If that makes sense..lol
Old 04-15-2012, 08:46 PM   #3
Steven Low

Profile:
Re: Need some suggestions for post-injury training

5/3/1 is a fine way to revuild your strength at weights that probably won't aggravate your injury