CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 04-13-2012, 06:32 AM   #1
Garrett Hines

Profile:
rogue fitness vs. RX jump ropes

Good morning crossfitters, I am in the market for a jumprope for home and Im not sure which brand is better. Ive used a rogue fitness rope before and it was ok.

Anyone have an opinion about which is better, rogue fitness or RX?
Old 04-13-2012, 07:14 AM   #2
Joey Shishineh

Profile:
Re: rogue fitness vs. RX jump ropes

I've used this Rogue rope (WFS) and this one (WFS). RX makes the second one - so, your question is more of: ball bearings vs standard speed rope.

IMO, the ball bearing rope is better. Faster, smoother, but more expensive. I heard you can get the band replaced though for relatively cheap, so as long as you don't lose it, it is a good investment. The speed ropes are great too. More of a disposable type rope though...Depends what you are in the market for.

For me they are completely different styles too - RX rope is so smooth you don't need the longer handle to generate 'the whip' with your wrist. Whereas the speed rope isn't as quick (still very fast) so you need the longer handle to 'flick' your wrist.
hope this helps.
m/28/5'8"/160|BS 330|SP 175|DL 410|Snatch 205|CJ 245|Diane 2:26|Fran 2:23|Isabel 2:59| WOD Journal|Team Diesel - Regionals 2013|
Old 04-13-2012, 07:42 AM   #3
Garrett Hines

Profile:

Thanks Joey, that is really helpful. I was on the fence, but the info is helpful. Ive also been reading some of the other jump rope posts on here and thats been helpful too.
Old 04-13-2012, 08:35 AM   #4
Joshua Ruwet

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Shishineh View Post
I've used this Rogue rope (WFS) and this one (WFS). RX makes the second one - so, your question is more of: ball bearings vs standard speed rope.

IMO, the ball bearing rope is better. Faster, smoother, but more expensive. I heard you can get the band replaced though for relatively cheap, so as long as you don't lose it, it is a good investment. The speed ropes are great too. More of a disposable type rope though...Depends what you are in the market for.

For me they are completely different styles too - RX rope is so smooth you don't need the longer handle to generate 'the whip' with your wrist. Whereas the speed rope isn't as quick (still very fast) so you need the longer handle to 'flick' your wrist.
hope this helps.
In my experience, this feedback is pretty spot on. I've used both but in the end invested in the Rx rope. Very happy with the decision!

Just one word of advice, don't use it on abrasive surfaces (concrete, black top, etc). The vinyl sheath will wear out quickly if you do, and then you will be left with exposed metal...which will unravel and fray in short order. Worth investing/making a "jump rope pad" to save the life of your investment. In a pinch, taped down cardboard works fine.
Old 04-13-2012, 08:49 AM   #5
Garrett Hines

Profile:

i think I know the answer to this, but would a yoga mat work as a jr mat?
Old 04-13-2012, 09:40 AM   #6
Bryan Rowland

Profile:

You can also get a replacement cord for the rx rope. You will find most all jump ropes need replacement at one time or another.
Old 04-13-2012, 10:11 AM   #7
Adam Molnar

Profile:

Do you guys think, that duct taping the middle of the cord can extend the life of my Rogue SR-1 rope? I will receive it during next week, and want to make all the possible precaution.
Old 04-13-2012, 11:02 AM   #8
Joey Shishineh

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Molnar View Post
Do you guys think, that duct taping the middle of the cord can extend the life of my Rogue SR-1 rope? I will receive it during next week, and want to make all the possible precaution.
maybe by a couple days... a better solution would be to jump on a more rope-friendly surface, like rubber mats or something.
m/28/5'8"/160|BS 330|SP 175|DL 410|Snatch 205|CJ 245|Diane 2:26|Fran 2:23|Isabel 2:59| WOD Journal|Team Diesel - Regionals 2013|
Old 04-14-2012, 04:32 PM   #9
Molly Metz

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Molnar View Post
The Rogue rope comes with a vinyl coated cord and is such a low end coating. If you are going to use the Rogue rope you can purchase replacement cord from www.jumpNrope.com (and less expensive then the replacement cord at Rogue), it lasts longer and is not coated with vinyl.. Also, once you are proficient with your doubles you should consider moving to a standard length handle, the long handles are consider a stepping stone in the progression. I personally do not use the wire (coated) for my wod's, i use the pvc (R2 Trainer Rope) as the pvc allows for a lot more movement in the air when the athlete is fatigued. I use the coated/uncoated ropes when I do a wod like Annie where form will not be compromised... or if I am working on triples!

Keep Jumping Everyone!
Old 04-15-2012, 08:01 AM   #10
Patrick Rushbrook

Profile:

Have you considered the Again Faster Rev-X?