CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 04-13-2012, 10:04 AM   #1
Ben Breen

Profile:
Road Trip

Hello All,

I am looking at doing a 2-3 week road trip in October or November in the USA visiting different crossfit facilities.

Can anyone advise me the best parts of the USA to concentrate on

Matter of opinion I know but feel free to comment

I am an early twenties male by the way and would like to try other outdoor sports as well
Old 04-13-2012, 12:59 PM   #2
Brian Androsian

Profile:
Re: Road Trip

Can't comment on affiliates out there, but for road tripping through the US, nothing beats the West. Wyoming, Utah, Colorado, New Mexico, Texas, Arizona, California, Oregon, Washington are all awesome. You'll drive through the cold mountains and deserts. Plus, if you're into mountain biking, there are a lot of awesome places to bike out there.

Not sure if that's what you're looking for but I'm currently planning the same trip for next year, so I wanted to share.
Old 04-13-2012, 02:27 PM   #3
Jason Wallis

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Breen View Post
Hello All,

I am looking at doing a 2-3 week road trip in October or November in the USA visiting different crossfit facilities.

Can anyone advise me the best parts of the USA to concentrate on

Matter of opinion I know but feel free to comment

I am an early twenties male by the way and would like to try other outdoor sports as well
Do you need to fly into or out of any particular airport? Is there anything that you know is on your must-see list? What kind of outdoor sports? You can get an overview of most of the country by driving from coast to coast, stopping no more than a day or two anywhere along the way. Or, you can concentrate on a particular region and really get to know it and the people in the same time frame. Someone spending a week in Ville Platte, Louisiana would have a vastly different experience than someone spending a week in New York City.
Old 04-14-2012, 06:05 AM   #4
Ben Breen

Profile:

I am looking at the LA San Francisco and Vegas area, I would also like to see a few sports games of whatever type
Old 04-14-2012, 07:39 AM   #5
Ben Breen

Profile:

Change of route its now Washington DC to Miami FL
Old 04-15-2012, 04:31 AM   #6
Dave Traeger

Profile:

Your idea moved 3000 km in an hour?

I've been planning something similar for a while. Was going to go to Las Vegas for obvious reasons, then to wherever the CFFB cert is being held at the time. I'd also like to catch an NBA, NFL and NHL game which may be tough considering I'd prefer to travel in my winter / USA's summer.
Old 04-15-2012, 04:41 AM   #7
Ben Breen

Profile:

LOL yes we live in a "dynamic fluid enviroment" ????

Washington DC to Miami last week October first week November

I ideas about routes etc. would be most welcome and we would also like to catch a game along the way
Old 04-17-2012, 10:33 AM   #8
Sean Dunston

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Breen View Post

LOL yes we live in a "dynamic fluid enviroment" ????

Washington DC to Miami last week October first week November

I ideas about routes etc. would be most welcome and we would also like to catch a game along the way
October and November are good months in the DC area for weather - October more so than November. There are literally 50+ CF boxes within driving distance of Washington DC, so you will have no shortage of places to visit and people to meet.

During that time of year, the major sports will be college and professional football. NFL tickets can be quite expensive, so that is better left to watching on the tube in a pub with your friends. College football is quite an experience because the stands are usually 1/2 filled with students - so the crowd tends to be younger and more energetic than you find in pro stadiums.

College games are usually on Saturday and NFL is usually on Sunday. I say "usually" because schedules have been changing recently to start having NFL on Thursday nights, in addition to the premier Monday night game, and sometimes college games are also being played on Thursdays.

The key is getting to a good university's home game for a weekend. The tailgating is epic, and the game itself is quite and event. In the DC area, we are lacking major talent in that area, but if your go south to Blacksburg, Virgina, you will find the home of the Virginia Tech Hokies - usually a football powerhouse. If you end up traveling down to Florida, that state is home to some perennial college football powerhouses: University of Miami, University of Florida and Florida State.

Have a great trip.

If you are looking for a box to work out in while in the DC area, let me know. You are welcome to come work out at Outlaw.
Old 04-17-2012, 11:39 AM   #9
Dustin Wintczak

Profile:

October 27, 2012 Jacksonville Florida

World's Largest Outdoor Cocktail Party

Link is WFS

As an American college football fan this one is still on my list to attend sometime before I die and as Sean mentioned, watching a night game at Virginia Tech in Blackburg VA would be worth the price of admission.
Old 04-17-2012, 11:43 AM   #10
Brian Androsian

Profile:

Catch an NHL game or two while you're here. If you can head north at all, check out a Philadelphia Flyers game, they're always entertaining and have a killer fan base. Washington Capitals are also a fun team to see. It'll be towards the beginning of the season too, so tickets shouldn't be too expensive.