CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 04-14-2012, 12:36 PM   #1
Dylan Khal

Profile:
Prepping for Selection

Just wanted to get some constructive criticism on my template. First some background. I've been doing crossfit since around 2008. I am in the IRR, discharged from active duty USMC 2 years ago. Since then I have stayed pretty active, drilled with a reserve unit for about a year, kept up my conditioning with kettlebells. But, my strength has suffered from not doing much heavy lifting in the past 2 years. My goal is to enlist in the Army under an 18x contract. Right now I am waiting on a grade determination to see if I can qualify for the contract. Plan B is to put in a package for MARSOC. I've spent the last 6 weeks ramping up my work capacity, testing to find out areas of weakness, doing 1RM testing, and rucking. My 1RM numbers for the main lifts: BS 235, DL 285, BP 225, OHP 140, PC 155. Pretty bad I know. Rucking is decent, I'm able to maintain a 13 min/mile pace with 65#. Running is terrible, but I am switching over to POSE method so I need to give my ankles and calves some time to adjust. Swimming is as good as it ever was, and good enough for both SFAS and MARSOC A&S. So, now I feel like my body is ready to start a more rigorous and consistent routine. Here is the template I've come up with:
Mon Tues Wed Thur Fri Sat Sun
AM Rest AM Rest AM Ruck Rest
BS 3x5 PC 5x3 BS 3x5
BP 3x5 DL 1x5 OHP 3x5
Heavy Metcon Heavy Metcon Heavy Metcon
P-Chain P-Chain P-Chain

PM PM PM
CFE Running CFE Running CFE Running

Mon-Fri I also do pullups and pushups before bed.

I've been following this template for the past 2 weeks, and I feel great so far, adding weight to the bar every workout. What are your thoughts, suggestions, ideas?
Old 04-14-2012, 02:11 PM   #2
Bryan Rowland

Profile:
Re: Prepping for Selection

Good luck with re-entry into the military it has become much harder for prior service personal to accomplish this task.
Old 04-14-2012, 03:04 PM   #3
Jake Bridger

Profile:

I'm in the same boat as you. I'm a former Marine and I plan on attending SFAS this summer through California's national guard group. I initially joined the national guard through 19th group and was on their training team. While there most of the guys used Military Athlete's "ruck based selection program". I would say that unless they were injured during selection everyone that used it passed. There is still some holes in the program that guys coming back from selection pointed out. Mostly adding in more APFT specific training and that there is really no need to do the longer rucks in the program. Usually 8 miles is the longest distance recommended. You'll do longer rucks during land nav but most of the timed events are 10 miles or less. So it's important to build the ability to ruck as fast as possible. Shoot for a 12 minute miles or less. If you want I can PM you the program . It will save you some money it cost $75 off his website. Semper Fi.
Old 04-14-2012, 03:07 PM   #4
Dylan Khal

Profile:

Looks like the template is difficult to read. Sorry about that.

Mon
AM
BS 3x5
BP 3x5
Heavy Metcon
P-Chain

PM
CFE Running

Tues
Rest

Wed
AM
PC 5x3
DL 1x5
Heavy Metcon
P-Chain

PM
CFE Running

Thur
Rest

Fri
AM
BS 3x5
OHP 3x5
Heavy Metcon
P-Chain

PM
CFE Running

Sat
Ruck

Sun
Rest

M-F Pullups and Pushups before bed

If the 18x contract doesn't pan out (should find out next week), then I will replace the Friday run with a swim. When I am about 3 months out I will modify the above, remove the strength bias and include more selection specific training.
Old 04-14-2012, 03:12 PM   #5
Dylan Khal

Profile:

It has definitely been tough finding a recruiter to work with me. The military isn't having any problems for the most part with recruiting or retention.
Old 04-14-2012, 03:19 PM   #6
Dylan Khal

Profile:

Jake,
Yeah I'd definitely like to have a look at the program. I've heard good things about it. That's good insight about the rucking. 13 min/mile is about as fast as I can hike without running, jogging, or shuffling. I'd probably have to work up to doing intervals of walking and jogging.
S/F
Old 04-14-2012, 07:18 PM   #7
Bryan Rowland

Profile:

Dylan PM me Ill hook you up if your qualified. That is if your lookin at getting into the Army .

give me your RE code and GT score
Old 04-14-2012, 08:32 PM   #8
Dylan Khal

Profile:

Thanks Bryan. PM sent.
Old 04-18-2012, 12:00 PM   #9
Bob Herald

Profile:

Looks like you're work capacity is good to go, if you can do all of that and add weight to the bar.. I'm in no place to give any advice on that type of training... but i did want to thank you guys for what you do. For guys to re-up at times like this is respectable and courageous.
Old 04-18-2012, 03:20 PM   #10
Dylan Khal

Profile:

Hey thanks Bob, just trying to get back into the fight. Gains are coming as scheduled, 10# per workout on DL, 5# on BS, and 5# on OHP, BP, and PC. I did a SS cycle a few years ago so I am familiar with how much weight I should be able to put on the bar each workout. When I start to feel like I'm stalling on a lift, I'll make the jumps smaller. Metcons are good, I usually just pick one from the Wod Shop site and modify the rounds/time and reps, and increase the weight to make it fit my needs. There's something about lifting heavy and fast that makes my stomach churn, in a good way.