CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 04-14-2012, 06:39 PM   #1
Sara Lynn Miller

Profile:
Recently had a microdiscectomy. Will take Qs if you are considering...

It was not a light decision. I was walking with a ruptured disc since November and decided that even though the leg pain had subsided and I could function normally on a day to day basis I wasn't happy with it. There were still alot of neural tension and still loss off achilles reflex, I realized that nerve needed to be released and give it time to heal. I had a large extrusion and not just one piece in the spinal canal, but two. But they were not sequestered; still in tact.

I am so happy that my surgery was a success. Though I never really doubted that it wouldn't. I chose my surgeon carefully and knew the success rate for this type of surger is over 90%.

The surgery took just 45 min and the incision was about one inc. It has been 5 days post-op and already on day 2, I was off the pain med and muscle relaxer the doc presribed. I now take 800mg Motrin as needed and not necessarily every day. The first and second day I was stiff as a board ( from the incision). But then as days went by my mobility got much better.

I am walking but I do noticed that if I walk for too long the leg starts to ache and itch. The leg pain is not bad, just at a 2 on a scale of 1 to 10. This is normal they say, as the nerve is trying to heal from messing around and moving about during surgery.

Now, I guess only time will tell if Ive done permanent damage to the nerve.

To those that have had this surgery, feel free to share your story as well. And mostly curious about those who are 2 to 3 months post-op.

I guess I covered everything I thought was important to share...
Old 04-14-2012, 07:35 PM   #2
Sean Rockett

Profile:
Re: Recently had a microdiscectomy. Will take Qs if you are considering...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sara Lynn Miller View Post
It was not a light decision. I was walking with a ruptured disc since November and decided that even though the leg pain had subsided and I could function normally on a day to day basis I wasn't happy with it. There were still alot of neural tension and still loss off achilles reflex, I realized that nerve needed to be released and give it time to heal. I had a large extrusion and not just one piece in the spinal canal, but two. But they were not sequestered; still in tact.

I am so happy that my surgery was a success. Though I never really doubted that it wouldn't. I chose my surgeon carefully and knew the success rate for this type of surger is over 90%.

The surgery took just 45 min and the incision was about one inc. It has been 5 days post-op and already on day 2, I was off the pain med and muscle relaxer the doc presribed. I now take 800mg Motrin as needed and not necessarily every day. The first and second day I was stiff as a board ( from the incision). But then as days went by my mobility got much better.

I am walking but I do noticed that if I walk for too long the leg starts to ache and itch. The leg pain is not bad, just at a 2 on a scale of 1 to 10. This is normal they say, as the nerve is trying to heal from messing around and moving about during surgery.

Now, I guess only time will tell if Ive done permanent damage to the nerve.

To those that have had this surgery, feel free to share your story as well. And mostly curious about those who are 2 to 3 months post-op.

I guess I covered everything I thought was important to share...
best of luck I know it must have been a tough decision, but your nerve will be better in the long run for it.
Old 04-20-2012, 07:31 PM   #3
Matt A. Windsor

Profile:

Sara - I had the exact same surgery back in 2005. Last Monday I deadlifted 365 as my 1RM (first time doing it), and routinely can lift 225 for reps. Can squat about 245, etc.

So I'd say it was a success. I very seriously doubt that you have caused yourself permanent damage, especially if you're doing that well with pain after the surgery.

What I did personally was to talk to the doctor (NOT the nurses - the doctor; I say this because all the nurses would do is calmly listen to you and then say "Uh huh - don't do ANYTHING" :P) and very specifically discuss with him my goals. I stated "I don't want to be a tough guy; I simply want to do EVERYTHING possible to allow this to heal as quickly as possible." I asked him what I could do that would make it 'hurt' but would not DAMAGE it; my rationale being that I can deal with 'hurt' pain, but that I'd back down if it got close to 'damage' pain.

For me, that was the best possible thing I could have done. I was driving after a few days, and at about the 3 week point I was given clearance to do VERY slow elliptical training to loosen things up. The loosening of joints, muscles, etc., was so relieving it was almost orgasmic. LOL!

6 weeks after surgery (the surgery was in May of 2005) I was cleared to do basic, LOW weight training (e.g., deadlifts with the bar), and after about 2.5 months I was given a clean bill of health. I deadlifted 255 lbs in December of that year, and have been great ever since.

I agree that your nerve is just regenerating; they usually have to move it around just a smidge to do what they need to do when they're operating. Occasionally it'll itch, or you'll get a quick 'stab' of pain, but that's about it.
Old 09-10-2012, 02:44 AM   #4
Daniel Osman

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Rockett View Post
best of luck I know it must have been a tough decision, but your nerve will be better in the long run for it.
Agreed, in the long run it will be much better.