CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Competitions
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Competitions Competitions, contests & challenges

Old 04-13-2012, 06:56 PM   #1
Patrick McCarty

Profile:
Amanda Miller Memorial Wod/Competition

Folks, this is a single wod, virtual competition taking place on July 21, 2012, at boxes all over the world. You will perform "Amanda" either RX'd or scaled, and submit your scores via the website.

Prizes will be announced but currently, Progenex is on board as a sponsor, and more are in the pipeline.

the $20 registration fee will go to help cancer research, the disease that took 2009 Games Athlete Amanda Miller at the age of 24.

Please sign up for a user account and then register for the workout here:

www.amandawod.com (wfs)

Email me at mcpilot@cinci.rr.com with questions.
Old 04-13-2012, 07:51 PM   #2
Sean Dunston

Profile:
Re: Amanda Miller Memorial Wod/Competition

while i really like the idea of honoring Amanda, reading this post tonight gives me a strange feeling, and i don't know why.
i don't know you, and you don't know me, and i obviously do not know all of Amanda's friends, but i did know Amanda really well when she trained with, and was a trainer with, me at my box here in Virginia.
just out of curiosity, how did you come to the decision to set this up, and did you contact her mother, or any family members about this, prior to doing it?
i wish you all the best and hope this is succesful, but i just want to know how this materialized.
Old 04-14-2012, 06:42 PM   #3
Patrick McCarty

Profile:

Sean,

Thank you for your post. All very valid concerns.

I did not know Amanda. I only learned about her when the wod was announced in 2010. When that occurred, I did some research and read her entire blog.

Since then, the workout itself has been sort of a nemesis for me. As I prepared for the the Master's games in 2011, I had made it my goal to be able to perform this wod prescribed. I did not meet that goal. In 2012 I didn't even come close to making the top 20 in my age bracket, so I rebooted my training regimen, and again, made "Amanda" a goal. It's simply a fantastic test of skill and strength.

As I thought about this workout and how I would prepare, I was struck by a number of things I read in Amanda's blog, most notably, how she would talk about treatment for her cancer in one paragraph, and then post the workout she'd done that day in the very next paragraph. One theme that came up consistently was her tenacity. As I read OTHER people's posts about her, that same theme continued to pop up.

The more I read, the more I felt like I began to know Amanda, or at least, be able to have a connection with what she stood for and how much she touched others and meant to others. And I realized that the only way I would be able to do this wod prescribed was to attack it with that very tenacity

I am a father with a 21 year old daughter who is also a CrossFitter. As I went through this period of research it struck me that "Amanda" was in danger of become a wod, not a person. And that bothered me. Because today, there are likely people doing "Amanda" who think it's no different than "Fran" when in fact, it's very different indeed.

So I thought that we could somehow bring the community together for a competition that accomplishes several things; one, keeps her memory alive; two, INSISTS that as athletes, we prepare for and attack this wod with the tenacity that Amanda brought to everything she did. and three, raised money for Melanoma research. If we could get 1000 athletes signed up for this, we could donate $20,000 to cancer research, which is pretty significant.

The very FIRST thing I did was to reach out to Amanda's mom, Donna, to get her blessing. I would never have moved forward with this without her complete consent. I explained my motives, the background, and she was touched and very much in support of the effort. We have been in contact frequently, and in fact, she and I are going to meet in a couple of weeks when I travel to Orlando for a competition where we can catch up, she can tell me more about her daughter, and I can bring her up to date on where things stand with the event.

Since that time, I have been able to get the support of a number of folks who knew or worked out with Amanda. And I hope it will grow.

I have no ulterior motives here other than to honor an athlete who died too young, and who should not be forgotten in the sea of growth that CrossFit is currently experiencing. I am receiving nothing from this financially. The financials will be 100% transparent, ergo, all I get is the satisfaction of trying to make a difference.

I hope that this helps to allay any concerns you may have and if you would like to talk further, I would welcome a phone call at 513-349-9756. Otherwise, I hope we can count on your and your box's support.

Best regards,

Pat
Old 04-15-2012, 07:10 AM   #4
Patrick McCarty

Profile:

You can read Amanda's mom's comments here: (WFS)

(scroll to the comments)

Now head to the website (also wfs) and register!
Old 04-15-2012, 07:26 AM   #5
Sean Dunston

Profile:

okay, thanks for the update.