CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Stuff and Nonsense
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Stuff and Nonsense For off-topic chatter. Keep it PG-13; no sex, politics or religion!

Old 04-14-2012, 02:03 PM   #31
Dimitri Dziabenko

Profile:
Re: Facepalm moments

http://gizmodo.com/5901925/weightlif...bbellno-really (WFS)

An example of how things can go wrong in very unexpected ways.
Old 04-15-2012, 07:04 PM   #32
Charles Applin

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimitri Dziabenko View Post
People taking the Crossfit concept and making it into something stupid:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jOg25HlBNiU (WFS)
So they're doing something they claim is extremely dangerous, should not be attempted at any local range and that they are expert shooters so anyone less skilled should never even try this. Not seeing the facepalm moment.

The only part that made me wince was the sit-ups when they were shooting upside down. They had muzzle control, however that muzzle was between the knees and the head.

That said, at what point is training with weaponry too extreme? Anybody that's done military or LEO has in all likelyhood had to do a field test where you're moving between targets in full battle rattle or LEO equivalent. It's still dangerous and will over time guarentee a wound or casualty. However, the tradeoff is accepted.
Old 04-16-2012, 05:23 PM   #33
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Applin View Post
So they're doing something they claim is extremely dangerous, should not be attempted at any local range and that they are expert shooters so anyone less skilled should never even try this. Not seeing the facepalm moment.

The only part that made me wince was the sit-ups when they were shooting upside down. They had muzzle control, however that muzzle was between the knees and the head.

That said, at what point is training with weaponry too extreme? Anybody that's done military or LEO has in all likelyhood had to do a field test where you're moving between targets in full battle rattle or LEO equivalent. It's still dangerous and will over time guarentee a wound or casualty. However, the tradeoff is accepted.
Huh? I never heard anyone say that the occasional injury on a live fire range was ok. That's why there are four common sense (and ruthlessly enforced) weapons safety rules. You basically have to break all four of them at the same time in order to "accidentally" shoot someone. If you're moving from point to point with your finger off the trigger and the weapon on safe, the weapon isn't going to fire itself.
Old 04-16-2012, 09:22 PM   #34
Michael Kelley

Profile:

In my opinion, weapons training becomes "too extreme" or too risky when there's little or no discernible relationship between the training and an actual application. Live fire training when tired, worn out, wearing heavy gear, with foggy goggles, while on the move and coordinated with other shooters is a highly risky training evolution with excellent application to real world scenarios for certain professionals. For individuals trained on a continuum that leads them to be able to handle the rigors of such an event, the risk is likely worth the training value. For some who have not trained to be able to handle such an event, there would be far too much risk to employ that training.

In this video, I saw little or nothing that imitated anything a shooter is likely to see in a real life scenario. The actions they took (presumably) to tire them out, throw off their equilibrium, and so forth, could have been replaced with more useful and less hazardous, but equally effective methods, reducing the risk in the exercise. That means their actions were unnecessarily risky. The idea that anything is ok as long as you keep the weapon oriented downrange just doesn't cover everything.
Old 04-17-2012, 10:36 AM   #35
Dimitri Dziabenko

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Applin View Post

This whole thing kinda reminded me of people squatting on a bosu ball...except with guns. Can I come up with concocted explanation about why it's a good idea. Sure, you raise your heart rate and practice accuracy, which prepares you for combat, blah blah blah

Do I still think it deserves a facepalm? I most certainly do. Even interspersing intervals with shooting would be way smarter than this nonsense of upside down crunches while shooting and reloading. Next time, they should do it blindfolded and call it Jedi training.
Old 04-17-2012, 10:37 AM   #36
Jason Peacock

Profile:

But you're trying to apply "weapons training" to a "let's have some fun" video. Or at least, that's how I saw the video.

I'm not LEO or military, I shoot guns because it's fun and a challenging skill. I see doing this type of stuff as an additional challenge to the skill. Kinda like biathlons - get really winded & out of breath, then stop and shoot with high accuracy in outdoor conditions, then get moving again.

Yeah, biathlon has military roots, but how is that different from "do five burpees, then un-holster and shoot 5 targets?" Or just plain silly fun stuff like shooting upside down? I shoot offhand just to see how much I suck and to learn to challenge my non-dominant side. Or shooting gangsta' style to show that hollywood sucks

Not everything that one does needs to have real world applications.
Old 04-17-2012, 12:05 PM   #37
Jason Wallis

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Peacock View Post
But you're trying to apply "weapons training" to a "let's have some fun" video. Or at least, that's how I saw the video.

I'm not LEO or military, I shoot guns because it's fun and a challenging skill. I see doing this type of stuff as an additional challenge to the skill. Kinda like biathlons - get really winded & out of breath, then stop and shoot with high accuracy in outdoor conditions, then get moving again.

Yeah, biathlon has military roots, but how is that different from "do five burpees, then un-holster and shoot 5 targets?" Or just plain silly fun stuff like shooting upside down? I shoot offhand just to see how much I suck and to learn to challenge my non-dominant side. Or shooting gangsta' style to show that hollywood sucks

Not everything that one does needs to have real world applications.
Agreed. I saw some guys who are obviously very experienced in handling firearms safely having some fun. At no time in that video did I see anyone point their weapon in an unsafe direction.
Old 04-18-2012, 03:31 PM   #38
Joffray Marcantel

Profile:

-RX Star
Lamest attempts at motivational stuff I've ever seen. That page is like a train wreck, I just can't turn away from it

-AllisonNYC
Her "LOOK AT ME" posts literally make me want to punch through a wall.
Old 04-18-2012, 04:31 PM   #39
Dimitri Dziabenko

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joffray Marcantel View Post
-RX Star
Lamest attempts at motivational stuff I've ever seen. That page is like a train wreck, I just can't turn away from it

-AllisonNYC
Her "LOOK AT ME" posts literally make me want to punch through a wall.
I raise you with:

Tony Budding's Twitter Account:

http://twitter.com/#!/tonybudding (WFS)

Quote:

For most clients, fun and sustainable intensity are more relevant to achieving their long term goals than perfect form.
Quote:
Folks are naturally drawn to people and communities that pursue excellence intrinsically.
Quote:
Bad science is everywhere. http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...430777580.html They didn't assess changes to carbs/insulin. Hilariously misguided.
Quote:
Could it be that the elevated expectations for a joyful holiday season is the greatest obstacle to actually having one?
Some deep stuff right there. Except the whole insulin carb thing, but lets just disregard Budding not keeping up with the research.
Old 04-19-2012, 03:24 AM   #40
Frances Ballesteros

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimitri Dziabenko View Post
I raise you with:

Tony Budding's Twitter Account:

http://twitter.com/#!/tonybudding (WFS)

Some deep stuff right there. Except the whole insulin carb thing, but lets just disregard Budding not keeping up with the research.
Quote:
"You aint gonna learn what you don't wanna know "