CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 03-24-2012, 10:31 AM   #11
Mara Rozitis

Profile:
Re: Are there HEAVY WEIGHT women out there??

I love this thread. Thanks for posting. I'm a heavyweight girl, 232 lbs at roughly 5'9". Like you, I have an easier time with pure strength stuff than anything else. Been CrossFitting almost 2 years, twice a week at a box and usually twice a week on my own but following the box's (awesome) programming. Squat 225, DL 295, Press 105, C & J 135, Snatch 95, FS 170. I have been making steady progress with the lifts but not as much as I could if I could make it to the box more often, especially in terms of the Olympic lifts. More coaching would help.

I think I'm most surprised by some of the things I've been able to do that I never predicted would be possible for me. A couple of weeks ago I got a 25" box jump. At 232 lbs. For someone who has never, ever trusted her physical abilities, this was a huge breakthrough. Last summer I ran 400m in 1:44. I couldn't do that in high school. When I first started CF I did 50 burpees in 6:18. Now it's about 4:30. I did the Open WOD with 150 Wall Balls and managed to get 145 in 12 minutes. I had wanted all 150, but when I look back to the first time I did Karen, I used a 12# ball and pretty much counted as a rep any time the ball left my hands and still was 2 minutes slower.

I would like to be lighter, mostly so I can finally get a pullup, which would be the thrill of a lifetime. I have only lost about 10 lbs net since starting CF, but I've lost over 6 inches from my waist and 7 from my hips. I look and feel better than I ever have in my life, even when I was much, much lighter. I continue to improve my body composition slowly and steadily. I have managed to drop fat faster but I always get run down and sick if I try to push too hard so I've learned to chase performance and eat for recovery and to accept the slower pace of fat loss.

I love my box and the whole community. They've changed what I believe about myself and how I handle all the challenges that come up.
Old 03-27-2012, 06:23 AM   #12
Cortney Cortes

Profile:

I am. I am. I am 5'5 209. What a great post. I have been CFing for 4 months now. I have not seen a big weight loss yet, but I feel 100% better, I can do things I never thought I could do, I'm seeing progress every week, and my endurance has gone up quite a bit. I have yet to focus on my diet, it may be backwards, but I wanted to start working out and get my body use to that. Next month I'm going to start working on my diet.
Old 04-13-2012, 03:37 PM   #13
Rebecca Mullen

Profile:

I love this post too! I'm 5'10, 197lb. I gained alot of weight after I had surgery several years ago and had to start taking steroids. The steroids caused me to gain a belly and I was mistaken as being pregnant a few times. I've been doing CrossFit for a year now and have lost 15lbs and the belly (credit goes to the paleo diet too). I'm still haven't mastered the pullup either, hopefully soon though!
Old 04-29-2012, 06:39 PM   #14
Amanda Ratliff

Profile:

I started two weeks ago. I'm 6'1" and started at 282. Down to 276. Crossfit is kicking my tail but I love it. Nothing feels better than the end of the workout!
Old 04-30-2012, 12:15 AM   #15
Helen M Brennan

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amanda Ratliff View Post
I started two weeks ago. I'm 6'1" and started at 282. Down to 276. Crossfit is kicking my tail but I love it. Nothing feels better than the end of the workout!
6ft1in... lucky you. I would have given my eye teeth to be taller....

mind you now i appreciate that being on the less tall side of the fence means that i dont need to move the bar so high for cleans etc

H