CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Competitions
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Competitions Competitions, contests & challenges

Old 03-27-2012, 10:37 PM   #651
Mauricio Leal

Profile:
Re: 2012 Open, Regional and Games thread

I wouldn't read into the top peoples' comparisons too much. Many are focusing on things other than their thruster-pull-up abilities. Although on average I'd expect everyone to get a little better at everything. 10 year anniv of Games should be repeat 2011 Open in it's entirety.
Old 03-28-2012, 07:43 AM   #652
Jeff Binek

Profile:

Rich is 5'8 on his best day. Dan is 5'7" -- They are super tiny people, it shocked all of the people we brought to the Arnold how small they are (yet how huge they are)...it is really quite awkward seeing someone that short be that thick.
My Numbers: 6'2" 225lbs: DL 565, BS 455, FS 400, Clean 330, Jerk 325, C&J 325, Snatch 250, Fran: 2:27, Helen: 6:43
Old 03-28-2012, 07:59 AM   #653
Joey Shishineh

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Binek View Post
Rich is 5'8 on his best day. Dan is 5'7" -- They are super tiny people, it shocked all of the people we brought to the Arnold how small they are (yet how huge they are)...it is really quite awkward seeing someone that short be that thick.
Yes, 2010 Games site has him at 5'8" (WFS)
m/28/5'8"/160|BS 330|SP 175|DL 410|Snatch 205|CJ 245|Diane 2:26|Fran 2:23|Isabel 2:59| WOD Journal|Team Diesel - Regionals 2013|
Old 03-28-2012, 08:01 AM   #654
Nalin Prabhu

Profile:

Quote:
Miko, Rob O et al aren't very large either. It sucks realizing these monsters aren't any bigger than I am- I liked it better when I justified the weights they moved by telling myself they are all 6'3"+ and 220lbs+..
Old 03-28-2012, 09:23 AM   #655
Michael Kelley

Profile:

Quote:
That's hardly "super tiny," considering the average height for an American man is about 5'9" or 5'9 1/2".
Old 03-29-2012, 10:27 PM   #656
Charles Applin

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Applin
Originally Posted by Charles Applin
Why do they do this? I'm not into the inner working for regional site sponsors, but it seems it'd only help if they max out the number of athletes actually competing in Regionals.

Show of hands: If you were not in the top 60, but were among the top sixty people able and willing to compete at Regionals, would you do it? More athletes at regionals means more tickets sold and better sales for the sponsors.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholas Wheeler View Post
I agree with you 100%. But rules is rules. Hopefully they will change it in the future. It seems the decision is based mostly on logistics... maybe
Sorry for the late reply. It might be a rule, but it's an arbitrary rule that doesn't help, and likely hurts getting sponsorship at Regionals. If it's based on logistics in the computer database then it's a programming issue easily fixed.

However, maybe I'm jumping the gun. I'm just thinking about last year's Regionals where you had a couple dozen guys and a dozen or so gals show up to some. If that's not replicated and most of the top 60 show up then all is good. Last year, at the outlying regionals, you made it just by staying in the open. This year, you needed to beat out a lot of people. Stands to reason that more will be showing up even at the smaller regionals.

Bottom line: the closer you get to 60 athletes actually competing at Regionals, the better the overall experience in my opinion.
Old 03-31-2012, 07:52 AM   #657
Christopher G. Woods

Profile:

They tried inviting late fill-ins back in 2010. Almost none of the second round invites showed up. By the time the first wave deadline comes and goes, you only have a week or two before the first Regionals start. That's not a lot of time to get yourself ready and make travel arrangements.
Old 03-31-2012, 02:45 PM   #658
Michael Kelley

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher G. Woods View Post
They tried inviting late fill-ins back in 2010. Almost none of the second round invites showed up. By the time the first wave deadline comes and goes, you only have a week or two before the first Regionals start. That's not a lot of time to get yourself ready and make travel arrangements.
Except that if that were the norm and if you were in that 61-70 range in the rankings you would know to prepare yourself for the late invite.
Old 03-31-2012, 09:36 PM   #659
Christopher G. Woods

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Kelley View Post
Except that if that were the norm and if you were in that 61-70 range in the rankings you would know to prepare yourself for the late invite.
How many people do you really think are going to spend $500-1000+ dollars on travel arrangements to Regionals just in case they get a late invite?
Old 04-01-2012, 05:52 AM   #660
Nalin Prabhu

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher G. Woods View Post
How many people do you really think are going to spend $500-1000+ dollars on travel arrangements to Regionals just in case they get a late invite?
How far away is your regional from your home??
I know in the Central East you could quite easily drive to Columbus in under 10 hours from anywhere in IN, KY, MI, OH. And since hotel bookings don't need a deposit- I'm not sure I agree with the $$ the limiting factor.

If I was 61st in the region (never going to happen) and I there was a CHANCE I could get invited to regionals, I'd be there in a hearbeat if I had to drive 12 hours to get there.