CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Stuff and Nonsense
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Stuff and Nonsense For off-topic chatter. Keep it PG-13; no sex, politics or religion!

Old 03-13-2012, 11:38 AM   #7031
Collin Thompson

Profile:
Re: Seen at the globo yesterday

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearse Shields View Post
Seen today at the globo: a female client of mine doing 5 deadhang chin-ups. Started 2 months ago barely being able to do one negative by herself. Feel so proud.
I'm curious about this too. I'm trying to hep my girlfriend with her 1 pull-up goal but I'm 700 miles away and all she has access to is the pull-up assistance machine
Old 03-13-2012, 07:05 PM   #7032
Lou Carey

Profile:

Jump squats in the squat rack, bar only. Only one squat rack in the gym. Thoughts?

Reassuring was the poster on proper squat technique advocating breaking parallel, not that I saw anyone go close (except for my reflection...).
Old 03-13-2012, 08:30 PM   #7033
Pearse Shields

Profile:

She just started by doing 3 sets of 3 negative pull-ups 3 or 4 times a week, and we added in other strength work. I was surprised how well it came along.
Old 03-13-2012, 10:21 PM   #7034
Collin Thompson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou Carey View Post
Jump squats in the squat rack, bar only. Only one squat rack in the gym. Thoughts?

Reassuring was the poster on proper squat technique advocating breaking parallel, not that I saw anyone go close (except for my reflection...).
Jump squats are a legitimate move and bar only makes sense...it's not like you're trying to go heavy on those.
Old 03-14-2012, 12:31 AM   #7035
Lou Carey

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Collin Thompson View Post
Jump squats are a legitimate move and bar only makes sense...it's not like you're trying to go heavy on those.
Thought so, but still, I wanted to squat! Damn my tiny globo, nowhere I can dead or anything either. What was most entertaining was her setting the rack too high so she had to sort of jump the bar out of the rack... Thank god she lowered them for her next sets... Found a pull-up bar tucked away in a corner, awesome, though I can't use it at the moment. The discoveries you make while injured. I think I will see some entertaining things over the next few weeks of globo-ing.
Old 03-14-2012, 08:05 AM   #7036
Christine Parry

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearse Shields View Post
She just started by doing 3 sets of 3 negative pull-ups 3 or 4 times a week, and we added in other strength work. I was surprised how well it came along.
+1.

When I couldn't do a pull-up, I did negatives (and lowered myself as slowly as I could). After a few weeks of that, I was able to eek out a pull-up.

For me, I noticed that after I could do one, it wasn't long before I could do three... then five... then ten.... and so on. I think I struggled a lot initially with pull-ups because I didn't know what muscles I should be engaging. After I was able to do one successfully, I had a better idea of what I should be doing, and progressed quickly. Negatives helped me figure out my form much better than using the assisted pull-up machine.
Old 03-17-2012, 01:07 PM   #7037
Jason Gauthier

Profile:

Watched a trainer at my local Y teaching the principles of the KB swing. He did an adequate job of explaining and demonstrating the movement and eventually had the client do a couple sets of 8 with a #20 or #30 KB. Then the trainer, who is a guy I've seen hang clean #315 (at a BW of #255) said, "we need to get your legs stronger on the stair master."
Old 03-17-2012, 03:55 PM   #7038
Pearse Shields

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Gauthier View Post
Watched a trainer at my local Y teaching the principles of the KB swing. He did an adequate job of explaining and demonstrating the movement and eventually had the client do a couple sets of 8 with a #20 or #30 KB. Then the trainer, who is a guy I've seen hang clean #315 (at a BW of #255) said, "we need to get your legs stronger on the stair master."
TO be fair, for many new, deconditioned clients the stair climber will prove to be a difficult and tiring strength workout...
Old 03-26-2012, 04:35 PM   #7039
Eric R Cohen

Profile:

Saw a guy in Vibrams (good), saw him doing lunges (good)... In the Smith machine
I wanted to ask him, so what's up with the shoes, and he'd say something about natural foot movement, and then i'd say..so why are you using the Smith machine?!?!
Old 03-31-2012, 09:52 PM   #7040
Jay Mulder

Profile:

Saw a extremely large and lean employee eating Burger King. Then about a half hour later I saw him arm pull a terrible 285 power clean like it is nothing. He told me that the cleans make his traps big. I wish I had his genes.