CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 03-17-2012, 06:30 AM   #321
Mark Davis

Profile:
Re: Gslp

^Much appreciated! Yeah I want to eventually buy the books, but I am pretty strapped right now (grad student). I read through the entire thread yesterday and saw that he has a specific diet protocol to use with the program; I remember seeing cutting carbs after 2 pm or something like that? Could someone give me the gyst to his diet principles? Is it just basic stuff? Do I even need to follow it to optimize the routine?
Old 03-17-2012, 07:59 AM   #322
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

You can get everything you need off the nutrition thread on the SV forums or in his SWOLE ebook if you want to buy it. The basics are lots of protein (about 1.5g per pound of bodyweight) and about the same amount of carbs, with fat layered in depending on whether you're trying to gain or lose. The carb cutoff is just something he's found to be successful with most people in the past.
Old 03-17-2012, 04:35 PM   #323
Mark Davis

Profile:

Right on. So what do you guys do as warm-ups on lift days?
Old 03-18-2012, 11:09 AM   #324
Adam Dunn

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frances Ballesteros View Post
That's some awesome progress.
About your bodyfat, you're not going to drop it unless you have a caloric deficit.
Untrue.
Old 03-19-2012, 02:31 PM   #325
Frances Ballesteros

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Dunn View Post
Untrue.
Okay, aware me on how you're going to drop body fat if you are not burning more calories than you're consuming.
Old 03-19-2012, 02:36 PM   #326
Collin Thompson

Profile:

I'm not positive but can't someone eat the same amount of calories but change their workouts so their bodyfat is essentially "converted" to lean mass?
Old 03-19-2012, 03:16 PM   #327
John Lowry

Profile:

Quote:
Okay, aware me on how you're going to drop body fat if you are not burning more calories than you're consuming.
To lose TOTAL weight you need to consume less than you're using.

You can lose body fat without losing weight because you're gaining muscle mass and decreasing body fat but your total body weight stays the same. This is achieved through a caloric balance (using as much as your consuming) or if done to perfection, through a caloric surplus.
Old 03-20-2012, 03:33 AM   #328
Frances Ballesteros

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Lowry View Post
To lose TOTAL weight you need to consume less than you're using.

You can lose body fat without losing weight because you're gaining muscle mass and decreasing body fat but your total body weight stays the same. This is achieved through a caloric balance (using as much as your consuming) or if done to perfection, through a caloric surplus.
This only works for begginners. Past that point, you're going to gain fat with a caloric surplus.

If you're on maintenance then you're not going to lose weight (fat).
Old 03-20-2012, 02:18 PM   #329
Scott Alexander

Profile:

Quote:
Check out Gary Taubes' work for the answer on that. He's got a couple of books that spell out the science behind fat metabolism, specifically how you can eat (even overeat) and not gain fat.

The summary of his work is: carbohydrate intake ==> insulin production ==> fat storage. By reducing carbohydrate intake (potentially substantially), you lose fat. This is the basis for the Atkins diet.

Hope that helps.
Scott
Old 03-21-2012, 03:15 AM   #330
Frances Ballesteros

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Alexander View Post
Check out Gary Taubes' work for the answer on that. He's got a couple of books that spell out the science behind fat metabolism, specifically how you can eat (even overeat) and not gain fat.

The summary of his work is: carbohydrate intake ==> insulin production ==> fat storage. By reducing carbohydrate intake (potentially substantially), you lose fat. This is the basis for the Atkins diet.

Hope that helps.
Scott
I'll take a look at that...

The whole insuling production thing is crap in my opinion. It's not even that important in individuals who exercise regularly. Plus unless you eat a meal of 10 bananas I don't see how you go into "fat storage" mode. There are even some protein-based foods, which have a high glycemic index.